• Yes?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Now that I know we're endangering ourselves by cooking our stuffing inside a turkey, I guess it should be called dressing, no longer stuffing. Mom used to gather (or intentionally make) stale bread; I just buy the stuff because it's easier. I must be rich.

Although the package of "Flavorings" are maybe sufficient for some, they lack woefully for me. I supplement the heck right out of them:
1. I saute onions, garlic, and celery to add.
2. I use chicken broth, not water to moisten the dry, crumbly bread crumbs.
3. I add very generous amounts of sage and thyme.
4. According to whim - and availability - I also add some mushrooms and black olives.
5. I'm thinking of adding apple slices this year too.

By the time it reaches my table the folks at Stove Top (and other similar commercial-type kitchens) would no longer recognize their own product. It is now not only edible, it's down right delicious.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jack,

Ya shoulda put this poll up a few days ago.....when the Chuckanator wuz out campin'. He iz bound ta mess it up. Sorry I caint help ya cuz I never made dressin'. I jest come ta eat 'n dare folks ta ask me ta bless the food. :wink:

regards
bearridge

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99 cents a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money. Joe Weinstein

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
I would throw in some crumbled sausage, either some spicy Italian, Portuguese Chourico or Cajun andouille.

Maybe toss in some water chestnuts also.

But I am not in charge making the dressing for our Thanksgiving camping trips. My job is getting the fried turkey to the table on Thursday and a big pot of chili on Saturday.

Everybody have a good Thanksgiving, or just plain happy Thursday.

DM
mike

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend DM,

Miz Bear tole me fried turkey iz a trick. It aint quite az good az oven cooked, but the women all smile ' tell how good it iz. Purty danged sneaky, huh? :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps She sez it iz an eazy trick cuz fellas love toys....like a big fry pot with hoses, gas, chains, etc. :mrgreen:

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. Galileo Galilei

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I believe when she wants the dressing moister, she uses chicken broth. I know she uses seasoned sausage.

Around here, they like fried turkey over oven baked about a 100 to 1. Real moist and tasty. The juice just rolls out when ya cut it. Ya have to do it right with temps, times and seasoning method.

DM....I'm the turkey fryer around these parts too....and funny ya mention it...I'm making chili on Saturday too! Small World.
The price of auto gas is almost the same price as peanut oil now! :?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Friend Jack,

Ya shoulda put this poll up a few days ago.....when the Chuckanator wuz out campin'. He iz bound ta mess it up. Sorry I caint help ya cuz I never made dressin'. I jest come ta eat 'n dare folks ta ask me ta bless the food. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Yep , I soup mine up but not when Bear is around , I would hate to see him having to eat a pine tree or anything else in the immediate area when he smelled it.
Now some of those oysters , in fact a lot of them , Plus some Cajun spices with the Turkey giblets in the dressing might have him running for the hills.
It just might turn him off .:lol: ... NO WAY.
He would eat all the dressing and forget the Turkey then Pup's and I would not have anything to enjoy. :lol:

Dam Cat Lovers and white water paddlers. :p

Chuck.
PS. Pups and I will have all of it for two days , the wife is over at here brothers. :D "O" Jack .. Sissage is fr breakfasts. :roll:

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
wife's recipe.....a mix of bread crumbs & fresh made corn bread crumbs, poultry seasoning, sauteed onions & celery, and the kicker.....hard boiled eggs (chopped), moistened with homemade turkey broth (uses the giblets, neck plus extra necks and turkey wings).

wife's gravy, almost the same (minus the bread crumbs), sauteed onions and celery, turkey broth, and add the chopped giblets, necks and wings that you cooked making the stuffin' ....oh yea, more hard boiled eggs. It ends up more like a soup then gravy.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Fellers,
I voted no because my wife puts so much in hers that there is nothing I could add. As a fatter of mact, at this monent in time she is fixin her umptheenth pan of cornbread for the dressing. Her cousin from Tulsa is down and you would not beleive the amount of food they fix or the amount of wine that gets downed in the process. Wish yall was here to experience it. It is quite a show.
Happy Turkey to all
Bob

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Wannabe said:
Fellers,
or the amount of wine that gets downed in the process. Wish yall was here to experience it. It is quite a show.Happy Turkey to all Bob

Dang Bob! I wish I was there too! I'm having prime rib of beef today. Everyone else is having turkey or whatever they want.......Were going to the local eaterie for Thanksgiving. I'm thankful I won't have leftover turkey for the next 15 days. I'll eat it but I'm not wild about turkey.

Have a nice Thanksgiving yourself.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Maybe a late answer to your questions Jack...Maybe not if you another at Christmas,

Holiday Recipe: Sausage Crouton Stuffing No. 2
Thursday, November 08, 2007

SAUSAGE CROUTON STUFFING No. 2

PG TESTED

Local ingredients: challah, sausage, onion, celery, herbs, butter

Strategy: Make in advance.

A variation of this stuffing appeared in Bon Appetit magazine. It is rich, earthy and delicious with great texture. Water chestnuts give it crunch. Customize if you like by adding a chopped apple and substituting local chestnuts if you have them.

* 1 1/4 pounds challah or other egg bread, crusts trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
* 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 4 celery stalks, chopped
* 1/2 cup drained canned water chestnuts, quartered
* 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) toasted and coarsely chopped pecans
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 4 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
* 1/4 cup chicken or turkey stock
* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
* Salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Spread the bread cubes in a single layer on 2 large baking sheets. Bake until crisp, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.

Crumble the sausage meat into a large skillet and saute over medium heat until cooked through, about 12 minutes. Add to the bread pieces, using a slotted spoon.

In the same skillet, saute the onion and celery until transparent, about 10 minutes. Add to the bread mixture. Mix in the water chestnuts, pecans, parsley and sage. Add the stock and butter and toss to combine (the mixture will be dry). Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Makes about 16 cups. Use some to stuff inside the turkey, and transfer the rest to a baking dish, sprinkling with extra chicken broth to moisten.

This can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.

-- "Thanksgiving Dinner" by Anthony Dias Blue and Kathryn K. Blue
First published on November 8, 2007 at 12:00 am

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Sounds like JARVIS good eatin', Jimmie. Where's da garlic? Guido gonna be afta you, boy, you don't add da garlic. Ohhh, your knees gonna make funny crunchin-type sounds when you walk. Bettah go back whilst you still have a chance and add about 1/2 cup of diced garlic. HOOOO MON!!