Stupid Question # 4683 Glass over stained wood | SouthernPaddler.com

Stupid Question # 4683 Glass over stained wood

JBrown

Nov 23, 2009
My question is simple. how well does the epoxy or fiberglass stick to stained wood? I am considering a strip pirough and I would like to do a design at the bow by staining the pieces of the design. I am just not sure if it will cause problems with the fiberglassing.

Thanks

Jim

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Jack, tell me more about your experience

I've used epoxy over oil based stain. It was an oil based penetrating wipe on/wipe off stain not a tinted varnish, the epoxy was west systems.

Haven't had a problem - yet

Off hand I'd expect an organic compound like epoxy would be more miscible in an organic solvent than water, but i'll certainly defer to your experience

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
penetrating oil stain - likely from home depot

put it on, wipe it off, let it dry for a day

come back with epoxy - put it on, let it dry for a day, water wash, sand

come back with varnish - 3 or 4 coats

did your epoxy cure then flake off or just not cure?

you got me worried that i have a PITA job looming over my head

JBrown

Nov 23, 2009
Thanks for all the help guys.
if I ever get around to building it I will keep yall up to date.
Thanks again
Jim

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I think that "oil based" could mean different things in different products these days.

Original meaning was that it was made with linseed or similar vegetable based oils, and some products probably still are.

Linseed soaks into wood and slowly cures. It can take a long time for the oil to completely cure. It isn't "drying" really, it is oxidizing and turning into a solid material, so "curing" is probably the better word. If you epoxy over it while it is still pretty "wet", them maybe that is where the problem lies.

More modern "oil based" finishes might work better simply because they are made out of synthetic resins and solvents that cure faster and more completely? Don't know, cause I haven't tried it.