Stupid question | SouthernPaddler.com

Stupid question

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
I know this is silly but im going with a natural wood finish. So let me get this straight. I fiberglass the surfaces then varnish to protect the epoxy. After the epoxy is cured do I just brush or roll on the varnish? Do I sand it? Whats the process here?

olsnappa

Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I'll jump in here Bently, and put my 2 cents worth.....
First of all........there's no such thing as a stupid question...... :D
We all navigate the same learning steps.......just at different times.
My approach is to sand the final epoxy coat with fine sand paper....about 120 - 180 grit.....by hand.
My personal preference is to apply the varnish by brush......just my preference...others might disagree
Don't forget to sand lightly between varnish coats too.....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The varnish is the last step in the building process besides paddling the boat which can be done before it is varnished or after the varnish.

Sand the glass and epoxy , lightly before varnishing it , this gets rid of any blush that might be on there. If you have paddled the boat then sand it to remove any stains or foreign matter. It also gives you a duller finish after sanding so you can tell what has not been varnished.

I like to brush the varnish on but some folks spray it on there boats , which ever system you like. It is best to sand between coats but if you are going with multiple layers of varnish then some sanding can be skipped , like every other coat.

Most importantly use a good Marine varnish with UV Protection and Do Not Use Min Wax Varnish the stuff is Krap and peals.

Chuck.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Thanks guys. Another quickie if ya don't mind. I want to double up my seems inside and out. I have some fiberglass tape I'd like to do all the seems with. Then or before lay my solid cloth? Does that make sense? I guess my question is should i for example lay my solid piece on the bottom finish it then lay my tape on the seems or tape first then big piece? Thanks in advance.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bently said:
Thanks guys. Another quickie if ya don't mind. I want to double up my seems inside and out. I have some fiberglass tape I'd like to do all the seems with. Then or before lay my solid cloth? Does that make sense? I guess my question is should i for example lay my solid piece on the bottom finish it then lay my tape on the seems or tape first then big piece? Thanks in advance.

On the butt joints I use left over glass and run it about 3 inches ( Or More) on each side of the joint. Keep in mind ( As you said ) that the joint will be glassed over when the outside of the boat is glassed and when the inside is glassed so there is double glass and epoxy over that joint.

The tape will work for you if you are careful on the joints and run the epoxy saturation out a ways on each side of the tape just as a additional support for the wood....... Then when it is together glass it and the boat and you will be safe. I say that since I have no idea of the width of the tape you have , the wider the better. Especially if you are going to have some of it on the front or back or all along the center seam of the boat where all the abuse is offered to it when paddling and the tape is designed for those areas , to beef them up.

Depending on which boat you are making.

Main thing is how much glass do you have and can you spare a piece of it or have to use the tape to do the job........ It is really nice having some left over glass form the last build. Most of the time on a normal build there is left over glass from the front and back of the boat since it is a cigar shape and not a box. You know pointed in the front and back and wide in the middle like a lot of us Geezers are. :lol: , Not you young guys. :p

That tape is for the boats with a "V" or semi "V" bottom , OK.. A Pointed and not flat bottom boat , the Pirogues it is normally along the edge since that is where the wear and tear is to them.

If you use the tape , do not forget that ridge along the one side of it , it will need to be removed to have a nice slick surface when you glass the boat if you use it on the joint.

Chuck.
PS. Any questions ... Please ask ... we can help you miss ( Bypass , Skip ) all the mistakes we have made and later you will help folks asking questions. That is why you and all of us are here...... :D

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Thanks Chuck. I have the 7.5oz tape 6" wide. So I guess what your saying is tape the seams, then trim the little border edge off so as to have a smooth seam. Then do my big whole pieces. Sounds like what I was thinking but it is my first boat. It's a uj pirogue. Flat bottom. Thanks again for all your help. I want my pirogue strong. So I'm willing to do the work to make it right.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bently said:
Thanks Chuck. I have the 7.5oz tape 6" wide. So I guess what your saying is tape the seams, then trim the little border edge off so as to have a smooth seam. Then do my big whole pieces. Sounds like what I was thinking but it is my first boat. It's a uj pirogue. Flat bottom. Thanks again for all your help. I want my pirogue strong. So I'm willing to do the work to make it right.

6 inch tape would do the trick on the seams if you do not plan on using it along the sides of the Pirogue..... If anything the graphite and epoxy mix later on would take care of the wear and tear along the sides of the pirogue.

YEP..... That seam along the one side of the tape ( You called it a border edge , I have stronger words to describe it ) would do the trick on the seams for the joints ......... Just run your epoxy out an inch or two from there..... The epoxy in the wood saturating it along with that strip over the seam would do it.

7.5 Oz Tape ....... :shock: .... You do believe in making sure things hold.

Chuck.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
You really don't need to tape the seams if you are going to glass the entire boat. It wouldn't hurt though if you want to double cover the seams. If I was going to use both, I would tape first and feather the edges before glassing over it. That would likely give a smoother finish.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Thanks again guys. I am a 100ton captain so it's hard to get that big boat mentality outta my head.LOL! So tape first then cloth. Got it! Oh and I do have the graphite for the bottom. I love Raka! Larry is great. I called him a couple weeks ago and he spent like 20 minutes on the phone answering all my questions. With customer service like that I won't order from anyone else.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Ok last couple questions. How long should I let the last coat of epoxy cure before splashing the boat. Also when putting on the graphite for the bottom. Do I finish the fiberglass like normal without the graphite then do it. Or do I add the graphite in the second or third coat along the way?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Epoxy should cure to where it isn't sticky or soft anymore before you bathe it. To not add a lot of unnecessary weight, after you put in only a first wetting out coat of epoxy used to lay it down, you can start applying powdered graphite enriched epoxy the very next coat. Some builders do it differently, but that will give you a lighter boat.

RAKA recommended to me to use 20% by volume of powdered graphite to epoxy. I used three coats moving my masking tape about 1/8" each coat.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Thanks Jack. This is the best forum. You guys are all so helpful. My boat wouldn't be half as nice as it is if it weren't for all the help. Thanks for everything.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Jack the carbide scraper thing is genius! I was messing around with my chisel this morning tryin to get rid of some streaks and fuzz from a crappy roller. I remembered the scraper. Ran to lowes, picked up a scraper and proceded to make my boat as smooth as a babys butt. That thing works like a charm. Thanks again. I'll post pics in a couple days. She should be done by Friday. I'm smelling a weekend launch! Woo hoo!

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
I know I already said last question but ive put two coats of the graphite/epoxy mix on bottom. I want to do another coat in the morning. I believe it was Chuck who said 3 coats, 3 days apart. Should I allow a full 24 hours between coats? My epoxy is west systems slow resin. I dont believe it will be tacky in the morning. I put the last coat on at 2:30 this afternoon. I gotta go out of town in the morning so I wanna put the next coat on at 8am. Should be ok dont ya think?