substitute for ash? | SouthernPaddler.com

substitute for ash?

project

Jun 1, 2011
Im having a hard time finding ash in my area for the bow and stern. I know oak and epoxy dont work well together so what would make a good replacement?

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
I had no problems epoxying and glassing the white oak stems on my first kayak.
It would depend on the radius of the bend if you would have to steam bend it or not, but a piece of PVC pipe and a kettle works great for that.
They were 1/4" thick strips.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I used red oak from the big box stores on my pirogue and didn't have any problems with epoxy. Used West System epoxy.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
If you get a stubborn spot a heat gun works pretty well , most of the problems I have seen with oak was the checking of plywood not solid pieces.
I have built bows from oak and used the heat gun , sometime you have to soak it for a few minutes . we made re curves on bows this way . another way to steam simply is a tea or coffee pot wrap your wood in tinfoil and set it where the steam coming out the spout is directed under it.
Ron

project

Jun 1, 2011
I have cherry, walnut and mahogany on hand so i will probably use one of those.. thanks for all the input..

project

Jun 1, 2011
Ive never used aspen but i wouldnt use poplar.. Its a soft wood much like pine with alot nicer grain in most cases.. I have alot of hickory in storage in arkansas that I thought about trying to bend ..