Summer camping ..... Salads , liquids and anything cold. | SouthernPaddler.com

Summer camping ..... Salads , liquids and anything cold.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have been thinking about doing some Summer Time camping and with the temps down here in the triple digits I was worried about staying comfortable.

Tonight I did Turkey burgers on the grill with some rice to go along with them........ The wife got hers and then the thought hit me..... WHAM.....

We have some tossed salad in the frig so why not try it to cool down and have some extra liquid , as in the salad which has a lot of natural liquid in it.

Dam.... It was good , moist , a lot of flavor and best of all quite filling. "O" Well the wife can have the other Turkey burger and some of the rice for her lunch tomorrow at work.

Summer camping ..... Salads , liquids and anything cold.

Take a mixed salad and add some more things to it like Cottage Cheese , Chick Peas , sharp cheese , hard cooked eggs , any meat in slivers or some tofu and a favorite dressing. The probabilities are endless on how it can be done........

The stores have all sorts of mixed salad in bags and as far as camping they are not that heavy but do offer a lot of summertime comfort. :lol: :lol: :lol: Even if you add some chunks of Watermelon , cantaloupe or honey dew to them. Grapes are not that bad and rather good.

Have the supper figured out ..... For breakfast , pancakes and lunch.... Snacks and lots of liquids like Gator aid or water with a cold beer tossed in , somewhere. :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Let me splain myself about the pancakes....... I know it is elsewhere on here telling about how I cook things out camping. :roll:

I like to use the already mixes where you just add water to the dry ingredient..... 1 Cup mix and 2/3 's cups of water.... Mix together , cook and enjoy.

For camping I pre pack them in zip locks and in the field then just add the water , mush the mix around till there are a few lumps in it , not many ... Cut the corner off the zip lock and squirt out the amount of batter you want for the pancake into the pan ..... Normally one mix will make 6 average size pancakes.

Using the Trianga stove ..... I make two really good size ones. :D YEP.... I have all day to try things around here , all I have to do is get up in the morning. :D

By the way ... with a cooler you..... You can have bananas , blueberries or anything else you like.... This morning as a trial run I had blueberries in mine. Going to try Banana pieces in the morning.....

Put some batter in the pan ... add the .."What Ever you like " then a little more batter over it , a pancake sandwich when done.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Since getting on this health kick I've switched from butter and syrup on pancakes and waffles to yogurt.

Maple syrup is 200 calories 1/4 cup (all sugar), and butter 100 calories a Tbsp (pretty much all fat). And I've never been stingy with either the syrup or the butter, so I was probably even worse off. A six oz container of Chobani greek yogurt is about 150 calories, and 15 grams of protein. Keep it cold, add fresh fruit, and man, pancakes never had it so good. The vanilla honey goes good with strawberries and bananas, and the strawberry and blueberry go with just about anything.

PS - Thanks to Kayak Jack for all the fine Michigan fruit ya'll are sending our way. Berries, cherries, apples and plums so far, summer is good.