Survival kit.......group design | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Survival kit.......group design

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
We've gotten into at least two, basic scenarios here. One, where a fellow is lost or debilitated in the outback somewhere. Another where, social order has devolved into feudalism and chaos.

Scenario# 2, social disorder, would present a prolonged set of circumstances. Having a small survival kit is like having a PFD 1,000 miles from shore. Keeping you afloat is different than keeping you alive. Eating & surviving a few days of natural disaster is easier than surviving when society collapses. THAT is dog eat dog - the dark ages all over again.

Scenario# 1 has been repeated incessantly, and will continue to be. Once in a while, extenuating circumstances delay rescue. Then, survival gear could help prolong life until help arrives.

In the larger majority of cases, there are three, essential elements. #1 is an immediate life protection device. An air bag in a car, a PFD on the water, a parachute in the air - these kinds of things. Essential item# 2 is a communication link to the outside world. Item# 3 is the guy who comes in and hauls your fanny out.

As has already been pointed out, the first requirement is to define the "survival situation". Next, is to get skills and knowledge needed to survive these types situations. Lastly, we gather some gear to help.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I guess I am pretty set in my ways and opinions on this, In a wilderness satiation ,again Knife , way to make fire, and one I can not stress enough
Medicine, I have always been told most folks in a survival situation make up there minds in the first four hours if they are going to live or die and I believe that,
Electronics heck yea but also a old fashioned compass, I hunt in an area in Colo where if you make the wrong turn you could walk 50 miles before you ever hit a road.
In the case of a natural disaster, or civil unrest ,I want to be able to sit right here for thirty days at least self sufficient, in that length of time you should be able to start getting a direction on what actions come next. No one can predict that
I went in for a checkup and my doctor and I had a pretty good discussion , I wanted my prescriptions written for a year ,he didnt like that but after I reminded him I was paying the bill and he was working for me we got it done. I now have a 6 month supply of meds in reserve.
Good point on the money, My better half and I had this discussion a few weeks ago, lot of things can hold up your money, bank failures, a natural disaster , grid failure, anything that would completely shut down the net and phone lines.
She has hers direct deposited , I don't.
You cant plan for every scenario but you can have the tools and supplies to help you survive .
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
If you are concerned about money for "aftermath", forget paper money, checks, and plastic. Gold, silver, & diamonds.

One fella said he collected three precious metals, gold, silver, and lead. He has the last one to protect the first two.

islandpiper

OK, the ALTERNATE SURVIVAL KIT

4 bottles, basic nail polish colors
4 lipsticks to match
1 bottle nail polish remover (can also be used to start fires)
1 full bag of cotton balls, for removing nail polish, and starting fires.

Feminine Hygine products, 3-4 Cubic feet

Shampoo, conditioner and body wash, 1 Qt each, in two varieties, each

Big fluffy bath towels and NEW washcloths.

A new hypo allergenic pillow and 3-4 pillow cases

1 Qt (minimum) Liquid Laundry soap
1 Qt fabric softener

5-6 pairs of shoes, variety of colors.
New flip flops or Gators, preferably both

Walmart Card
Visa Card
Master Card

5-6 romance novels, in series

"Now, I feel like I forgot something....."

Tapping foot, looking out the door, Piper

islandpiper

Kilt or blue jeans. Slacks? never.

"in the Highlands the Kilt is worn. Not trews (trousers) the un-manly dress of the lowlands." (History Of Scotland)

And, just for the record, my pipes would be over one shoulder at such time as the survival gear was on the other. Pipes when played raise the spirits, demand attention, and bring about a certain concentration of effort among groups of men.

piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Concentration, yes, that's the word. Sorta like the expression when a visit to the throne is extended beyond expectation, and, concentration may help constipation.

OK, I'm done pulling Piper San's chain, for a while. Fact is, I'm proud as hell to know hm and hear him playing. Doesn't mean I won't pull his chain again, just means that under it all is a healthy layer of like and respect.

beemer

Jan 5, 2009
tx river rat-truly a prophet w/out honor in his own country (texas) or to quote some more good Book "can any good thing come" outa Texas!!. Great "little story". I was in the fire department (volunteer) for ten plus years, small plane crashed in the "hills" a few miles away, ems / various volunteers / sherifs dept / and other great "rescue" folks spent the night just looking for where the survivors were. beacons and all those other electronic toys were going wild (one survivor even had a cell phone with as you said a going weak / dead battery)-as i said toys gone wild. Finally honking horns, flashing lights, sirens on sirens off were the trick w/cell phone survivor responding "I can hear that" sorta message.

THE POINT-I think we should expect NO ONE to come and rescue. thus as one wise one (?) put it we might be back in the earlier generations!!

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Regardless of the scenario,

You need these things in this order,
1. shelter
2. water and the ability to obtain it
3. food and the ability to obtain it.

In the event of a disaster, you also need the wherewithall to protect what you have and the means, will and wits to obtain more of the same.

Like Ron, I keep a pantry stocked with enough food to last me and mine for several weeks that is regularly rotated.

Water, A 2 thousand gallon rain water tank is my back-up water supply.

In the bush, or on the water, I never go without a smallish tarp, good knife and the means to start a fire. A can of some sort in which to boil water is also a very good idea.

stickbow

Feb 25, 2009
Americus, GA
I have a typical survival kit in the truck all the time -- in my little haversack/messenger bag whatever ya wanna call it - flint and steel, snare wire, fishing kit, water tabs, cup, etc. I also have a small alcohol stove, metal pot, tea/bullion/sugar in the same box that's in.

I've been broken down on the side of the road (dirt road nobody drives on), stuck in the woods hurt, and a few other things before. No cell phone at the time, probably bad reception there anyhow. I've done SERE training too, so have spent time surviving for real, even though there was a safety net at the end if required.

A woods trip automatically comes with the standard survival stuff if I'm along; fire starting (usually an 18th c. flint and steel with tinder set -- and yeah. I can use it with a broke hand or cold or rain - been there, done that, got stitches) water purifier (or ability to strain & boil it) with ability to tote water, fishing gear, axe & knife, some kind of shelter, some kind of short and longer term food. I keep some method of signaling for help with me too.

If Armageddon comes, we load all my firearms, bows, edged weapons, ammo and and wool blankets, along with the food we have, in the truck and go to my father in law's farm in deep south GA. One tank of gas'll get us there and then some. Between the food they keep put up, game on the farm, and ability to support ourselves from the farm, we'll be OK.

If I'm lucky, I can hit the feed and seed on the way outta town and stock up on corn and a few other things. I already have a supply of heirloom seeds saved up that will go with me.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Re:

islandpiper said:
OK, the ALTERNATE SURVIVAL KIT

4 bottles, basic nail polish colors
4 lipsticks to match
1 bottle nail polish remover (can also be used to start fires)
1 full bag of cotton balls, for removing nail polish, and starting fires.
. . .

"Now, I feel like I forgot something....."
My wife asked what I was laughing about, so I showed her this.
I said, "You know, if I were a little younger, I'd add condoms to the list"
She said, "You'd have to be better looking too!"

Ouch.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Don't forget to update the registration for the EPIRB with NOAA. I just did mine and it is easy , one phone call and good for two more years. It is frighting how fast two years can go by , just seams like yesterday when I got it.
They call it a Beacon Registration , I call it piece of mind.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Roger dodger, you olde codger, and then there's battery replacement downstream too. I sure as heck agree on the peace of mind bit. I strap it to me when I fly - and when in a heated discussion with a female. :wink: