Survival kit.......group design | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Survival kit.......group design

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
One thing for surviving when out there it ... is not universal. What is needed are the basics , Shelter , Water , Fire and Food. Everything else is depending on where you are.

Jack sure does not want Sun Block and shorts in the winter and I don't want a insulated outfit an Long Johns in the summer , or even one for our winters. :lol:

If you cover the 4 basic needs then you will make it , how or what you want depends on the person and the area they are in and there knowledge of survival. Believe it or not , you do not need a lot , just the 4 basic items. Actually that is all you need any day , here or out there. :D

Shelter .. Anything , depending on your knowledge of making one.
Water.. Have a camp stove ? Boil it.
Fire , smokers have lighters , I take a fire starter block.
Food.. No one go's paddling or hiking without a case of Vienna's. :roll: But anything edible will work in a pinch. Heck Swamp Cabbage is delicious for a snack or a meal.

7 days without water , you are history , 30 days without food , it's a crash diet and you crash.

Chuck.
PS. I consider a Knife a tool and not a weapon when camping , it could be either but it is more of a tool in my thoughts.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ron,

I bet piper 'n the rest of us will pay close attention if ya tell us bout it.

regards
bearridge

Like savages who believe that every misfortune results from their failure to do enough to please the gods, modern western culture believes every tragedy results from its failure to legislate enough. Andy Barniskis

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm Back....

Piper was asking about a small package to keep on a person if I read his question correctly.

In my case I have a satchel ( From Duluth Packs) I take with me and in it is a Camera , Marine "K" Bar (1965 issue) , Trail bars , cigars and a lighter ( the dreaded PLB) plus a poncho and if hiking a Nalgene bottle of water. Either in it or on me is a Walther PPK , 380.

About the same thing when paddling ( with my medicine bag and the meds I need for the trip) but if I get lost in the canoe , big deal , I'm self contained with everything including a chair and a table to have an after dinner drink on so I don't have to hold it all night long. No table if Backpacking. :lol:

I must admit ... I have never been lost , the rest of the world had no idea where they were but I knew exactly where I was since I was standing there. Later , usually the next day the rest of the world caught up to me and then they knew where they were. :roll:

Chuck.

islandpiper

Hard to get really lost in the US, since there are few places more than ten miles from a road. My concern is not needing to survive while lost. It is more related to surviving when/if the social structure of our nation is turned upside down by natural disaster, terrorist attack or federal government actions against the people.

Having seen several hurricanes and the responses by the population and the authorities has led me to think that a personal survival kit is a good idea.

If the Baptist Church Of America was in charge I wouldn't waste my time on survival kits. And, I'm Methodist. After Katrina the Baptists and Walmart fed, watered, housed and clothed more people than FEMA, and a helluvalot faster.

My kit will be aimed at urban survival, post-event.

piper

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
islandpiper said:
piper

Now we're talking chemical suits and gas masks and weapons. Need to have food stockpiled since all other food may be contaminated, same with water. some Tecnu to wash off with in a dirty bomb situation.
We're talking alot more than an Altoids tin. Dirty bombs or chemical attacks, how well can you be prepared to survive?

I was lost in the Allegheny National Forest while deer hunting, winter of 65 in the snow. Compass helped me out before I had to spend a long night in the sub zero temps and snow. I would have been ill prepared had that happened. Space blankets and a way to start a fire would have been wonderful had I had to spend a night.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
What Piper said.
Bear I want get into this very deep but once upon a time in the sunny :(
paradise in southeast asia a couple of guy and me took a little stroll ,it lasted six weeks and close to 75 miles
Ron
Had three days of LRRPs when it started

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I am not talking about dirty bombs gas or what ever, I am talking about the things Piper listed natural desasters being on top of the list.
Personally I keep at least a months supply of food on full rations be couple months if you streched it out.
If you live in an urban inviroment most of your food is delivered 3 times a week and is trucked an average of 1400 miles the last time I checked.
In two days nothing would be in a store if the fuel stopped flowing .
I bought the food stock and we rotate it ,eat out of it and restock with new every week.
We like bottled water so I buy 10 cases three gallons to a case thats thirty days and is handier because we are not buying a case at a time.
Some of this might sound crazy but in several senerious it makes perfect sense , just ask the folks that went thru Katrina.
Ron

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
tx river rat said:
...well the big surprise was the gps went nutts all the reading were off and changing every few hours, this went on for several days then straigthened back up, We had three gps in camp and they were all like that. ....The failure of the gps seem to match the grounding of all flights.

This is an excellent point. GPS is a US government service. The military came up with it for obvious reasons, and everyone gets to use it. Don't think that the military won't jack around with the system if they think the US is under attack. As a matter of fact - you better HOPE they will. GPS is a wonderful convenience tool, but you have to remember that it has its' limits.

George

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
oldyaker said:
Flight Crew of B-52 looking at Survivial Kit in the movie "Failsafe....Major Kong reading off contents to his crew...as they fly over Russian Wilderness on way to target....

Actually that is from "DR. Strangelove", one of my favorite movies. "Failsafe" is the serious movie about an accidental nuclear war with Henry Fonda playing the president. "Strangelove" is the comedy about the same subject, with Peter Sellers playing the president, the mad doctor, and the English exchange officer. The two movies came out at almost the same time. They are both good films, and "Dr. Strangelove" is an absolute HOOT, with Sellers, George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden, Keenan Wynn... too many others to mention.

Trivia - Sellers was supposed to play the B-52 pilot also, but he messed up his ankle and couldn't do it. Slim Pickens did a great job instead.

Also, the pilot was supposed to comment that "a fella could have a pretty good time in Dallas with all that", but then JFK got shot in Dallas and they did a last minute overdub with "Vegas" instead. They figured nobody wanted to think about Dallas right then.

Didn't mean to highjack the thread, but "Dr. Strangelove" is a favorite movie that a lot of you guys would probably enjoy. "Failsafe" was a good film too, but it ain't funny>

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
oldsparkey said:
I must admit ... I have never been lost , the rest of the world had no idea where they were but I knew exactly where I was since I was standing there. Later , usually the next day the rest of the world caught up to me and then they knew where they were. :roll:

Chuck.

:) Daniel Boone was quoted as saying he had never been lost, but that he had been powerfully confused for a few days at a time.... apparently great minds think alike?

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I think what Ron is talking about as far as home stores is a very sensible idea. After the recent hurricanes, it got to where we were having trouble finding gas to buy in Atlanta for a couple of weeks. It didn't turn into a BIG deal, but it was an eye opener.

I've been keeping a supplemental pantry of dry and canned goods in the basement for the past year, much like Ron describes. I try to pick things that are dense in food value, that we can use so as to rotate our stocks, and that store well without unreasonable packaging requirements. I rotate the stock as well as I can, and I figure if something is approaching its' "use by" date I can always donate it to the food bank at church - just consider it part of my tithe. I have a pretty good store of food down there, but really should do better on organization and planning.

I used to keep a "bug-out" bag in my truck all the time, with miscellaneous supplies and tools like you guys have been describing. I got away from that when I stopped traveling all the time. But considering that my day to day activities often take me up to 100 miles from the house, I think I should get back in the habit. If a major disaster finds me on the far side of metro Atlanta, I might be truck camping for a day or two.

Someone may have already mentioned it, but in a non-wilderness situation, some good old fashioned US currency should be considered a vital part of your kit. In any situation short of Armageddon, a couple hundred American dollars makes a pretty handy tool. In a real disaster (natural or otherwise) your ATM card might not work any better than your cell phone or GPS>

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
All ya'll who been thru a bad hoodoochie know what happens when the power goes out. The water stops flowin', commode wont flush, gas pumps dont work 'n most stores wont open cuz they dont have no power. Stop lites dont work, so drivin' iz a scary.....guessin' who mite stop. Trucks dont deliver food 'n sippin' whiskey cuz the stores got no power 'n wont open. Once yer ice box warms up, that iz it.

Feb. 1994 we went off the radar screen. No FEMA, no Anderson Cooper, no nuthin'. Nobody really gave a hoot. Took 3-4 weeks til most folks got power. The big grid power lines iced up, begun ta swing in the breeze 'n went down.

Gas heat/stove worked....cept the heat pumps that had ta have a fan ta blow the heat. Folks that had gas bottles ta fire up the grill done okay (if they had some full bottles). Charcoal sold out quick, like candles, batteries, bottled water, generators, Coleman stoves, white gas 'n ever scrap of food. That iz all I recall bout the ice storm that iz on this topic. I always keep after the topic. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Mr. Corleone never asks a second favor once he's refused the first, understood? Tom Hagen

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
islandpiper said:
My concern is not needing to survive while lost. It is more related to surviving when/if the social structure of our nation is turned upside down by natural disaster, terrorist attack or federal government actions against the people.

piper

In that case then it would be a matter of going native for me.
Doing like the original folks that lived here before the Spanish arrived and then the rest of us to really screw things up.

The lakes around here have a lot of fish in them , so something in the fishing line which I have a lot of.

The woods are full of game so a small bore rifle ( 22 cal) for red meat gathering. Those fat tree rats that enjoy the bird feeder would be the 1st invited for supper. The Morning Doves next. :D
A Dutch oven for over a wood fire. Fire wood , no problem.
The well out back for water or from one of the springs in the lakes and my bed to sleep in.

Plenty of small bore ammo or a good assortment of bows and arrows ( Both which I have ).
Lots of plants that are edible for some greens which are growing wild around here , if not then planting a small garden , fresh citrus for the picking and personal enjoyment , everywhere.
Last but not lease , there are a lot of steaks and hamburgers on the hoof just enjoying life and munching grass a short distance from here , very short distance. Not even thinking about the wild pork chops that hang out with them and the Turkeys , a smorgasbord of goodies. :lol:

Yep , going native would be OK since I have everything that is needed and we sure would not be hungry.

If anything it would be like today , Taking some tangerines ( large ones ) and juicing them .... one Tangerine to two Navel Oranges. MAN .. That makes some good juice. For adults , add a little of the Russian fermented potato drippings and a ice cube or two ( it is still hot down here ) to it as a after dinner drink.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
oldyaker said:
I think this is what you are talking about Piper......http://tinyurl.com/a4wkge
He wishes that at the best.... The Fool.He sure does not know us , if anything it will be a society ruled with Grits , 4 wheel drive trucks and a pit bull in every yard.:lol: Chuck.

Chuckles!!!You forgot the empty Pabst Blue Ribbon and Vienny Sausage cans piled up in front of the porch! Life is Red Neck Good! :lol:

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
Well, that was an interesting read. But at least one part of it was wrong. Texas won't revert to Mexico. Once we're free of federal regulations we'll take Mexico and split it into a couple of south Texas counties. 8)

Mike

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
2012....More to worry about and survival......

Whatever is in store--a massive cosmic collision, a global environmental disaster, an Armageddon-like religious showdown, or a more subtle transformation--many believe that December 21, 2012 will mark a major shift in the history of our planet. There is no cogent distinction between the sobering facts and hysterical fiction--what, if any, modern scientific proof exists? Is there any other compelling evidence throughout history that 2012 will be a year of unprecedented, deadly upheaval? This special looks for the parallels between the nightmarish daily headlines and the 2012 prophecies from Nostradamus and others. From the mystical realms of the Guatemalan jungles to the Hopi elders and Mayan shaman to respected thinkers of the modern age--Nostradamus' doomsday warning will be cast in a frighteningly modern context.

http://tinyurl.com/a6r7fv

:shock: