Survival Kits | SouthernPaddler.com

Survival Kits

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm reading an interesting book, Build the Perfect Survival Kit, by John D. McCann. He doesn't preach; he suggests, guides, and informs. You select components and buy, assemble, and build them to make your own kit. It can be tailored towards mountains, desert, swamp, plains, city, roads & highways, etc.

I'm learning some new things, finding that some things I have are what he suggests, and bypassing some things. No major disagreements yet, though he freely states that what he says is strictly his opinion.

Even if you don't build a kit (mini-small wrapped in aluminum foil for shirt pocket or in a Altoids tin) to medium with more equipment, to large for vehicle or boat), it's an interesting read. You may have to ask your local library to go out to other libraries to get it for you.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yep, that's him on the right in the photo. Who's that spectacularly handsome movie star-type fella next to him? (Probably hired for the picture only.)

I'm assembling a small kit that fits in and around my Aussie Fur felt hat. Will provide capability to navigate, gather food (snares and fish line w/hooks,) start fires, cook food, and boil water.

His small & medium kits are pretty much already what I carry in my day pack. I learned a lot reading his book, supported some already known things, and had some suspicions confirmed.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
In my usual speedy fashion, I worked on this project today, 2 1/2 months later. I think tht I have the components right, but only some field testing (wearing the hat whilst paddling) will show if I have it assembled anywhere near right.

I have a piece of aluminum foil (from the standard kitchen sized box of the stuff) about 18" long, folded over into a strip about 1 1/2" wide. I had some of the non-stick foil (not sure if they still sell it?) so used that. this strip is tucked in behind the hatband - mostly.

Tucked up in a corner of the aluminum foil, up in the front of the hat crown, is a button compass. In the back is a folder with 6 snelled fishhooks tucked behind the foil strip in the back of the hat.

As a hat band, I have about 15' of parachute cord braided and tied. Along beside that are 6 cable leaders (45 lb test) with swivels and quick disconnect fasteners. There's a small flint and steel dangling from the front of the hatband.

If I don't lose either the hat or my wits, this material will help me: start a fire, purify water, cook, gather food (with fishhooks and game snares) navigate, make implements with cordage and materials found in the area.

Still looking for a place to tuck in a bottle of single malt.

Some would look at this a playing with toys, In a way, I do too. On the other hand, it may come in handy, one day. I actually hope that it's all a waste and never needed.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, not a rich man, so have little to show off. Have to capitalize on the little things, ehh?

I'll bring my hat, Piper San. Will probably get some good feedback (ferreted out from amongst the rough comments and BS that we geniuses must endure sigh).

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Ahh, yeah. I see. There doesn't seem to be anything there of substance. Maybe 3 chapters out of 16 seem relevant. Plus what does some super hot babe have to do with survival?

At any rate aren't all of Amazon's book offered at a reduced price? I never remember paying full price for any book there.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I've gotten a bit discouraged with Amazon. They try to peddle books, radios, cookware, etc. etc. They got a bit snippy when I got cheated on a Palm that I bought through them. (Paid for new, got one with a USED sticker on it.) After a month and a half, I got my money back, but they were a pain to deal with. And then, they had the gall to tell me that they would honor their guarantee for me only one more time. Seems they have limited their honor.

I seldom buy a new book. If it's something I want to read, I email the library and they get it for me. Free beats any reduced price on line.

If it's a book I want to own, I go to abebooks.com

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Best survival kit was from the Movie, Dr. Strangelove...

Cut to: int. Airborne B-52

Maj King Kong:

Survival Kit contents check. In them you will find: one 45 caliber automatic, two boxes of ammunition, four days concentrated emergency rations, one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills, one miniature combination Rooshan phrase book and Bible, one hundred dollars in rubles, one hundred dollars in gold, nine packs of chewing gum, one issue of prophylactics, three lipsticks, three pair of nylon stockings -- shoot, a fellah could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.... Yer a SICK man; Jimmie, it's your only saving grace. Jack