Suwannee River State Park to Branford Fl. | SouthernPaddler.com

Suwannee River State Park to Branford Fl.

PlumbeRob

Mar 15, 2005
West Central Florida
I've told my children about the greatest trip ever taken. I was about 12 and in a large scout troop. we paddled for a week on the Suwannee, from Fargo, Ga. to Branford, Fl. It was, by far, the greatest trip ever.

My kids, apperantley, having heard the story enough, decided they wanted to go on this trip that was, well, the greatest trip ever.

So we did.

It was BAD.

The trip started at Suwannee River State Park. They have great R.V. sites and cabins, not much for the ground sleeper. We paddled around 16 miles the first day, found a nice flat spot on a bend to camp at. It was great. We had a nice second day of paddling. Started looking for a campsite at 3.

(I guess all the sport fishermen in Florida decided they needed a cement boat ramp next to every single spring or decent campsite that has ever been used.)

Unable to find a suitable area for camping, at 5 we decided to stop and eat dinner before dark. There was no camping anywhere. So the kids got bundled up and we started a night canoe adventure at 6. We paddled until we reached Branford, 9:30 at night, a 36 mile day.

My children spend about 30 nights a year camping. Never had they seen so many stars, satellites and shooting stars. They had a ball.

This trip on the Suwannee was quite possibly the worst canoeing trip I've ever been on.

When we got home, both my children had to bring in their own paddles and pictures to show and tell at school. I asked why? My daughter told me, "so everybody can hear about the greatest trip ever".