Suwannee River Trip | SouthernPaddler.com

Suwannee River Trip

4sons

Apr 5, 2005
Just Returned Sunday from a our first weekend on the Suwannee River. We had a great time. A little wet and a little tired, but with a great feeling of accomplishment.

Three adults and 4 boys put were dropped off by Canoe Outpost Friday at Cone Bridge at around lunch time. The water level was still up (68' at the White Springs gauge), but not enough to cause concern.

After we had paddled for about an hour we stopped for lunch (peanut butter and jelly burritos). The kids played in the water for a little. We didn't really find any really nice sandbars to play on, but kids will make do.

We were told by Debbie we needed to camp at Big Shoals the first night, but because of the water level she didn't know if we would be able to see Big Shoals. She have us a series of land marks to be looking for and I was also tracking our distance by GPS so as not to miss it. We were a little concerned being our first trip about finding the portage. We made several false stops trying to find the portage. Finally we found the portage right under the big sign that said 'Big Shoals Portage'. I don't know how long the sign had been there, but I made a point to tell Debbie about it when I got back.

As my luck would have it the big campsite above the Shoals that I had been told about was occupied. So we took the next one down and started lugging our gear over the trail. One of the men at the first camp site told me he had been coming to the shoals for 20 years and with the high water they had paddled through the small rapids. So after we unloaded the really important stuff (food, tents) we paddled through the rapids with no trouble at all.

After setting up camp it was time for supper. We cooked steaks, french fries, and peach cobbler in the dutch oven. The sound of the shoals was very relaxing, until about a hour after dark a several ATVs came riding right by our camp. The riders we nice, but so much for the wilderness experience.

The next morning was nice and cool. My favorite part of the day. We had breakfast of pancakes and bacon. Soon we broke down camp and was on our way. Rain was expected this afternoon or tonight so we wanted to get going early. After paddling for about an hour we see an 8 foot gator on the bank. He never moved just watched us as we floated by taking pictures. I still think he was trying to figure out which one of us would taste the best. A little farther down we saw a glimpse of another gator disappearing into the black water. Right before we got to White Springs we saw another gator sunning on a small log. This gator was less than a foot long. That was three gators in about 3 hours. I had been told the Suwannee didn't have very many gators, maybe we were just lucky.

We stopped at White Springs for lunch. Several people came down from the Stephen Foster Center and spoke with us. Soon after some swimming and resting we were on our way again. We knew the rain was coming, but we wanted to get most of the paddling out of the way on Saturday.

We kept pushing under I-75 and we kept paddling. Past several great campsites and we kept paddling. Past a group of campers that yelled 'you better find a camp site it's about to rain', we kept paddling. Finally I said we better start looking for a campsite, but my luck had kicked in again and we couldn't find a campsite, but we did find the rain. I steady down pour. We stopped at several places, but couldn't find one that would work. Finally we found one just big enough for three tents. We knew we needed to set up the rain fly first then the tents. Well not supprising our rain fly leaked, BAD. Thank goodness the tents did not! We ate supper and turned in early and listened to the rain, thunder, and wind.

Next morning we cooked breakfast and started packing up our rain soaked, sandy mess. The weather radio said 30% chance of rain and clearing. I think we got all 30%. As soon as we left the rains started pouring again.

Paddled the remaining 8 miles back to the Outpost. Even with the rain the paddle was very pleasant. Back at the Outpost a hot shower was waiting.

Overall the trip was great. I will absolutely do it again. I hope next time the water level will be down so the boys can do more swimming. I also hope next time I will have the brains to stop and set up camp before the rain hits.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend 4sons,

That wuz a swell report, except fer the ATV fellas. They aint nice. They dont care bout nobody but themselves. They dont even see the harm they done.

They git worse ever year....jest like the jet ski 'n snowmobile folk. :cry:

Even with all that, it sounded like ya'll ate good. That is the Path of the Geezer. :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge
anti-racketeer

I have always considered that the substitution of the internal combustion engine for the horse marked a very gloomy milestone in the progress of mankind.
Winston Churchill

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
you rSaturday camp hunt story

reminds me of a canoeing proverb I learned from Kevin Callan, "never pass a great campsite at 3pm in hope of finding a better one at 6." Odds are it ain't gonna happen!

Nice trip thx for the report.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
4 sons

I can see every mile you paddled, been there and done it......... even in the rain but it rarely rains on me, just the folks with me. :lol:

One thing I found out a long time ago and something all of us agree on when paddling ..... start looking for a campsite around 3 and by 4 you better have found one. Just enough time to set up camp, gather fire wood, have a fire going, cook supper, enjoy a relaxing moment and then start with the BS around the fire before going to bed smelling the wood smoke from the fire drifting thru the cool night air and listening to the Owls.. :D

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: you rSaturday camp hunt story

hoz said:
... "never pass a great campsite at 3pm in hope of finding a better one at 6." Odds are it ain't gonna happen!
to which I'll add one I learned first hand in the Sierra Nevada's. Never pass up a chance to take a drink of good water if it's available; never pass up a chance to get rid of used water before you feel the pressure.

4Sons, nice job. Kids, family, peanut butter, a river, a canoe and a tent. Ya dun good, partner, ya dun good.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
4 sons, ya'll did a great trip! Now what about the next one this year? LOL yeah, yer gonna be out in it again fer sure. Those boys ain't gonna let ya rest till you put in again.

Get ya a water proof camera and take some snaps along the way. They will cause ya to stare off into space when ya see them after a while inside the home... kinda like a memory gone good... :wink:

swampy

4sons

Apr 5, 2005
Already planning another trip Swampy! :lol: We talked last night at church about when and what the trip might look like. It's a shame I have to work and can't canoe all the time. :(

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
4sons.... yeah, but for now planning the trips and camping at a bunch of them will open yer eyes to more when ya put down the pens and papers or tools to retire and go out and do the same thing only for longer time and more places...

well.... almost..... some have to have permission to go.... but that's not all bad! ....... it does cut down on expences....

Does your church have youth camps/canoeing ?

swampy

4sons

Apr 5, 2005
Church does have camps and do a little canoeing. Usually once per year and then it's just a day trip.

We do most of our canoeing on our own or through Scouts. Our Scout troop does a good bit of canoeing. Matter of fact we have a trip later in the month.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Last night in Lodge, a young fellow told me that his oldest son has crossed over from Cubs to Boy Scouts, and is ready for his first canoe trip. This young man is one who, 18 years ago I taught how to canoe and helped him on his 50 milers. Another circle has been completed.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Roses go out to you Jack for your keeping the Outdoors alive" ! Grand job! We all have to keep the youth encouraged and having fun ""out there" .

Many here work with the Boy Scouts and their camping/tripping exersizes.

Sparkey is known to take out old geezers too.... :cry: :wink: :lol:

swampy

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Swampy said:
swampy

Chuck picks up "blue hairs" and takes them where, to the bingo hall :?:
Must be Yankee "blue hairs", FL is full of 'em :!:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Swampy said:

swampy

Since you go on those trips and even help out by taking my chow bag at times ..... Are you in that group of Geezers or do you just want all of those treats to yourself :?: Ya know thinking about it that chow bag is a lot lighter in camp that night then when we took out in the morning..... :roll:

Chuckles

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
oldsparkey said:
Since you go on those trips and even help out by taking my chow bag at times ..... Are you in that group of Geezers or do you just want all of those treats to yourself :?: Ya know thinking about it that chow bag is a lot lighter in camp that night then when we took out in the morning..... :roll:
Chuckles

:shock: Watch out Swamper, Chuck is catching on. Must be remembering that Police training. :lol:

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Pssst! BB! yer right... gotta keep alower profile..... but not for long az the old geezer forgets after a while..... then it's back to the groceries! :wink:

Errr ... Chuck .... bout them food packs.... doncha think it was them armidillos??? :roll:

<burp>
swampy

DocMobius

Aug 25, 2003
Wasola, Missouri
4sons

I grew up in Jacksonville and was a boy scout with troop 303 ( ah what great memories ), anyway we did our 50 miler on the suwannee every summer. Might be a good way for your troop to get theirs.

Sounds like you had a great trip, something those boys or you will never forget. Remember time stands if but for a moment when your in Gods Country.

Well thats all I got to say about that.
DocMobius
Paddling School for the FeebleMinded (aka Geezers)

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
This hectic world we are in is really here so that when we do have that opportunity to get out and be alone ( with friends!) with those who appriciate it together, we ought to soak it up for many days without it.

Then when work, family and other bothers spring up we can go to our " special place" right there in the office-home . Even the more civilized places where we can remember those paddling times ...

Doc great to see you here! Missed seeing you on the Buffalo River. I can see why the move to those primative areas....

And they have ice cream there too! :wink:

swampy