swamp pirogue | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

swamp pirogue

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
seedtick said:
IIRC about 110 pounds, it ain't made for totin' it's made for boatin'

come on down B C we'll happily give you a bag of sawdust and you can reassemble it back into a board.

I would think that he would get bored doing that. Maybe its just me......

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
When you bring the sides together at the stem, there is a small void left. It looks like you put an exterior or false stem on the bow to fill that void. Do you plane that void flat and put a triangular piece on the bow or trim to fit the sides? Does the bottom stand proud under that piece or does that piece run in front of the bottom plank? Beautiful work as always, thank you for the photos, gives the rest of us something to aspire to.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
We square off the edges of the sides so that they're flat across the front edge of the stem piece.

We then add the batter boards to protect the edges of the sides. For a straight stem, you can add a 3/4" thick batter board and plane/sand it down to fit the angle of the sides. For a curved stem, you can add thinner pieces and laminate that front board.

Batter boards were intended to take the abuse of hitting things and, as such, were considered replaceable items just like the top rails

And yes, they do cover the leading edge of the bottom. We normally put the bottom on before we fit the batter boards. You can put the batter boards on first and just them hang proud at each end but it makes fitting the bottom more difficult.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
no problem, knowledge is wasted unless it's shared

stop by sometime when you're passing thru and we'll give you l'excursion grande - the grand tour- of the workshop

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Man, oh man, is my wife gonna be surprised when I tell her I actually want to go see my in-laws in Houston. I have driven there and back from Tampa Bay, and both ways I seem to remember going thru your area around noon, so I'll take you up on your generous offer one day. I seem to remember some McDonald's fries gotcha to stop working and spend some time visitin', so I'll stop and get me some of them to entice ya. Seriously, thanks for the offer, I'd love for the other boat builder in my house, (17 yr old son) to see how it is really done. "Course, I wanna see too. Good day, sir.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
captaindoug.......

When you stop by there place and look at there boats you will never be the same again...... They do not make boats they make old time works of art that needs to be protected forever.

No , I have not been to there place but I have see what they do with some wood and it is out of this world. One day I will be able to drop by and see what and how they do it and I am looking forward to that time , when ever it and the Good Lord lets me do it. Right now it is what they post on the forum and that is something great all by itself. :D

As the one movie put it , it is on my bucket list of things to do before the supreme retirement.

Chuck.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
3/4" planks plus or minus depending on how the boards bend

we try to use bookmatched boards for the sides so they will bend with the same curvature

but if one board is stiffer than the other you can always plane a bit more off to make it more flexible, most folks won't notice if one side is a bit thinner.

you're limited on thickness by your ability to drive a nail into the side board without splitting it. If the sides arre too thin, you can always add a chine -inside or outside - to the sides to give yourself more nailing surface when attaching the bottom