Swamper got slimed | SouthernPaddler.com

Swamper got slimed

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Went out to Lake Verret at daylight for a little fly fishing in the Swamper.. Caught my first fish out of her- nothing special- just the first.

100_0904.jpg

Number 2 was a bit better.

100_0905.jpg

Here's the Swamper getting into her namesake.

100_0906.jpg

The action slowed so I paddled over a mile down the east shore to a shell point. There were a few boats there and they were all taking a few fish. I found a little honey hole and started catching them left and right. This is one of them-- probably one of the top five biggest I've ever caught.

100_0907.jpg

I let some go and kept enough for a good feed for me and the wife.

100_0909.jpg

Packing up and heading for home.

100_0908.jpg

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You are having way to good luck fishing and enjoying life ........ KEEP IT UP. Those hand size Gills are some sort of good eating.

You keep posting pictures like this , you make me want be out there with a cooler and bring a bunch of those slaps home with me....... :lol: :lol: :lol: , There is a spot by the house where I can get them without all the travel time. Just a little pond no one fishes and they drive by everyday going to other places to fish.

The beauty of light weight wood boats , we can go where the others can't.

Chuck.
PS. Being handy with a fly rod does not hurt. :wink:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Spring around here is THE time to fish for bluegills with a fly rod. Last weekend the tent caterpillars were falling out of the trees and the fish were having a field day. Chuck, get yourself a 2 or 3wt fly rod. It is a kick for gills. One of those hand sized guys feels like a 5 lb bass!

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
One of my Dad's lifetime dreams was to catch a 12" bluegill. Wouldn't make much difference what kind of rod or pole you had, it would be a handful of a fight and lots of fun tugging him in. Unfortunately, he never caught one. Nor, did I ever hear of one that big. But, it is a worthwhile dream to keep a fisherman coming back.

Maybe he's catching one right now, and grinning down at me.