Sweet & Sour Chicken ... Easy and quick to make | SouthernPaddler.com

Sweet & Sour Chicken ... Easy and quick to make

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Here is something easy to make and dang good. It is easy to make at home and with a little thought in camp.

!... 1 Tbsp of oil
2... 1 Lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size chunks
3... 1 bag (16oz) frozen stir fry vegetables.... I like the birds eye broccoli mix with water chestnuts.
4... 1 can (8oz ) pineapple chunks in juice , undrained
5... 1 can (10 1/2 oz ) low sodium chicken broth
6... 2 Cups Minute White Rice , uncooked
7... 1/2 cup sweet' n sour sauce

1.. Heat the oil in a large skillet on med-high heat. Add chicken , cook and stir for a few minutes until cooked through.

2.. Add the Vegetables and pineapple with the juice , mix well , Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.

3.. Stir in the rice , cover. Remove from the heat. Let it stand 5 minutes or till almost all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Stir in the sweet' n Sour sauce.

Enjoy.
I add more water chestnuts and chicken since I like both of them , I also us more sweet and sour in my portion , again since I like it. The wife doesn't so there is more sauce for me. ( Pup's doesn't care , I cook it he will eat it , what a buddy ) :lol:

I found this recipe on the back of a Minute Rice box , since then I have collected a lot more recipes and this one works really well with the center cut , pork loin chops , cut into stir fry chunks.

OK.. You heard me right , it is supper tonight , now get that Squirrel on the feeder. Earn your supper.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Last night while the wife and I were enjoying it ("O" Junior , pups , was also enjoying it ) the wife asked me to add onions and garlic the next time we have it.
I did that one time but forgot to this time. :oops: By the way it makes 4 good size servings and the left overs are even better. I was told to keep my paws off what is left , she wants it for lunch tomorrow at work. :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
Minute Rice has some good recipes on the back of there boxes... I'm saving all of them. Quick , easy meals and I bet the guy's would even eat them out camping. :roll:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I tried minute rice....once. Took one minute ta chunk the whole box inta the garbage, but in the woods it mite taste okay. Hmmmm....reminds me of that time the scout master let some of us have a piece of fat frum the edge of hiz extra thick pork chop. Good thing my folks didnt rear me ta be a raghead. :wink:

So far everthin' the High Sheriff cooked that I ate would make Jarvis wet hiz drawers....but the problem iz keepin' him in cookin' wine. He cooks jest like Miz Julia Child. 8) 8)

regards
bearridge

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines. Steven Wright

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A happy cook is a good cook ..Hic , Hic ,Hic. :?

Bear....

The minute rice as a filler works out pretty good since it gets the flavors of everything in the pot , in this case the Chicken stock and all the rest. The main benefit is that it cooks up in a hurry , one reason I like it for camping and cooking out there. Or when I get lazy at home.

Now , not being lazy , at home give me some Jasmine rice and my rice steamer.:D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Speaking of recipes off the box, get the meatloaf recipe off the oatmeal box. JARVIS good eain'!

Did not know what to fix for supper tonight while mowing the grass and thinking about what we should have ....DO NOW.

Some fresh green beans and smashed potatoes and then make some milk gravy with the juices from the meatloaf. (ain't nothing more then some milk and flour , not a lot , a spoon full or two, mixed really good and heated up with the juices in a pan )

"O" The green (snap) beans ... snap them into about 1 inch lengths , toss them in a pot , add milk to cover them and simmer till about 3/4 done (making sure the milk does not boil which it will try to do ) add a couple pats of butter , some salt an pepper and dish (serve) them up in a bowl.

I do the same with green peas that I shuck out of the pod, like the green (snap) beans they have to be fresh.

Chuck.
Yep , We are going to have a good supper.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Just a quick note..........

The wife wanted to watch the Sci-Fy channel on the boob tube while she had her supper.

:lol: :lol: :lol: while not watching what she was doing and leaving her plate in her lap ....... ole pups eased by her chair and cleaned the meatloaf off her plate before she knew what was going on , Dam ... I really like that dog. :lol: He was quicker then any shop vac.

Go-inn-ing to give him another slice tonight before I hit the sack , he did share mine with me as I put it in his dish next to my chair.

Chuck.
Guess I will have to make more this weekend while she is over at her brothers so pup's and I can enjoy it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Thunder boomers all around , lighting and hail but not here , our chuck-a-lota umbrella protected us and the town. 8)

So to have a quick and good supper ....... Yep , you guessed . One point for you and a good supper for us.

After supper it was raining , if you want to call it that , boomers all around us but out in the back yard ... about one drop per three square feet unless you wear glasses ... then three or four drops on each lens. Only better target is a pup out there with you which is black and tan. Came in and cleaned my glasses , he eased up next to me and shook.... Cleaned the glasses again. :oops:

Guess I put to many water chestnuts in his supper or it might of been the sweet an sour mix. :lol:

By the way I have a easy way to slice up the chicken (boneless and skinless breast meat ). When thawed pound it out ... flat.... then attack it with a pair of scissors , a snip here and a snip there and you have chicken chunks for cooking.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Doing the Sweet - Sour Chicken tonight for supper with some slight modifications...

My assistant chief >>>---------->
George.jpg

>>>---------> Who Likes more chicken in it so I have doubled the amount with a few more chunks for him. Plus I am adding a separate can (Can't get them fresh ) of Water Chestnuts , sliced , to it since I have added more chicken. Plus you will not believe this but he likes the Water Chestnuts. :lol:

Before you ask...... :roll: ...... The wife will eat anything I cook ( as long as it tastes good ) and has done that for the last 43 years. Only Pup's gets choosy about the food , Dam Dog. He is almost as bad as oldyaker on camping trips.... Only tropuble is oldyaker has a spoon to taste everythng with like Bear... When the tasting is over with they are full. :oops:

That's why I like Pup's , he can't hold a spoon. :lol:

Chuck.

Aug 20, 2008
west central IL
Thanks!!

Much oblidged for posting that recipie oldsparky. Not a good time of day for this ole feller to be reading good grub directions. I copied off the recipie and the wife will give it a go. I KNOW she'll add more chicken and I hope chestnuts.
I normally eat the dark meat but will bend for stir fry. Thanks again, ole Mike

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Think about this Chuckles.....A guy who eats MRE's is a food critic!

Oh Bear!!!! Put some habanero sauce on that rice.....it'll be fine! :lol:

Chuck...Do you have anymore of that habanero sauce you gave Bear at Lost Minds? :wink: :wink:

Worked around the house and now porterhouse steaks on the grill. :p
Beautiful day...cobalt blue sky's and 72 degrees today. A lil chill now at about 60.......

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
I have probably eaten a ton of minute rice, while camping over the years. But I haven't cooked any inside since my college days.
Then we had a recipe, we called "The Old Creole Recipe". It was about as Creole, as Lox and bagels.
It was an awful concoction, of ground beef, onion,garlic,tomato sauce,and minute rice.
It was only cooked at the end of a jam, when the beer ran out. (and in those days, even if we could have afforded more beer, it was unavailable after ten PM.)
On rare occasions, I make it, just to remember those days.
Only, like Chuck, I use steamed brown basmati.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Brown Basmati 8) That is some good rice , the wife and I like it as a side dish to complement a meal.
If you have never cooked any you will be in for a treat when you do , it makes the kitchen have a faint pop corn smell when it cook's. We just call it the Pop Corn Rice because of the aroma from it. :lol:

When things are cooked all together , I get lazy and cheat with the minute rice. The Sweet -Sour chicken mix is a fast meal to fix.

ss%20rice.jpg

As you can see I use a lot of chicken in it :D

Chuck.