Swimmers Ear. | SouthernPaddler.com

Swimmers Ear.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Swimmers Ear.......

This is something I learned way back in the dark ages when the wife and I were licensed / certified SCUBA Divers. It is something that the ones of you who can't keep the boat upright might want to know , listen up Bears Buddy an Jack. :lol:

When the head goes underwater , water gets in the ear canals and most of will drain out , some doesn't and can cause an ear ache.

When that happens most folks use Peroxide to wash out the ear canal , when the peroxide is done it leaves a water residue , or more water which puts you right back where you were.

Take some Vodka and some White Vinegar , mix them at a 50 - 50 mix and rinse your ear with it , no more problems.

I have mine in a bottle I got at the pharmacy and it has the squeeze top dropper with it , one or two droppers full in the ear , let it set for a minute or so then tilt the head and let it drain. Repeat the process with the other ear.

The girls ( when younger) would go in town and swim in the pool , they would end up with a ear ache a day or so later so to avoid the doc's I would have them use this mix.

Later ( as a prevention) I would have them use it when they got home from the pool , no more problems , nipped it in the bud.
Needless to say , if the ache continues then see a Doc because it might be on the inside of the ear drum ( which requires medication ) ... not the outside.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
would rubbing alcohol do the same thing?

There are poisons in it which might be absorbed into the body and is not recommended for consumption , external use only.
The vodka is pure grain alcohol and can be consumed , under normal conditions it will not harm the body.

A miniature bottle of Vodka is just about the right amount for the bottle I keep my mix in when added to equal portions of the white vintager.

You don't need a gallon of the vodka unless you are inclined to a lot of spillage , like in a glass with some orange juice. If that is the case then it is taken internally , usually one sip at a time. :D

Chuck.