"T" Kettle or Hot Dog Soup........... | SouthernPaddler.com

"T" Kettle or Hot Dog Soup...........

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This is ......... NOT A JOKE ...... But something I have grown up on and enjoy. YEP .. I know you guy's. :roll:

Chuck.
Here is another recipe but this one was created by my Grandmother back in the days of the Great Depression when food was hard to get and had to be filling and satisfying along with cheep & easy to make.

She called it "T" Kettle Soup ..... actually it is Hot Dog Soup or Sausage Soup depending on which meat was available.

All I can tell you is I was not around back then but later down the River I have had a lot of suppers from this when Mom was trying to feed us by having something on the table. I always enjoyed this and still do , Dad really enjoyed it.. :D

It is easy to make and quite filling, It has the protein, veggie, bread (flour) , spices and a liquid in it.

!.......... Take some hot dogs and boil them, two or three per person........

2..........Find some hard crackers. We used Sea Toast which was a round cracked about 4 inches across and hard, I would use 3 of them.
Today there are some round crackers like them but they are smaller about 2 1/2 inches across, today I used 8 of them. You need more of the smaller ones in the bowl for the soup.

3.......... Have a can of tomatoes open and ready.

4...........Put the crackers (crumbled) in your bowl (the amount depends on your hunger) add some of the canned tomatoes, split the can between three or four persons if you have to.
Add some salt & pepper. When the hot dogs are cooked then cut up two or three (depending on the # of persons and the amount of hot dogs cooked) and add them to the bowl.
Take a pat of butter and drop it in the bowl......... Add the desired amount of hot water the dogs cooked in your bowl.
Mix everything up and taste ..... You might want more Salt & Pepper, I usually do.

You can use sausage in place of the Hot Dogs but you will have to have a side pot heating the hot water for the soup......... NO butter in this one just some of the sausage drippings...(this is NOT a fat free meal) .but everything else is the same, tomatoes, water, crackers, salt & pepper.

When I am here at the house and don't know what to have for lunch ....... This is what I cook up for myself, it is quick, filling and tasty. Pup's is always there begging for some of the hot dog chunks and any liquid that is left over .... If there is any left over but he does get some of the hot dog chunks. :wink:

One of these years ( When it is a cold and we are out camping) I will have to make this for the crew. It is really good in the cold weather, heats you up and fills you up plus it tasts good.

I know this is a shocker to you :shock: but we were not wealthy and I was not handsome or very smart in my younger days .......... I am still working on the hansome and wealthy part but IRS ruins that . So ....... forget them . it is a lost cause. We just eat really good around here. :D

Chuck.
Grits is Good..............They are a Brain Food :wink:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Frugal Friend Chuck,

That woke up an ole memory. Once upon a time I wuz livin' the music life: juke joints 'n recordin' studios. Reglar groceries wuz hard ta come by. I wuz in Jackson, bout '69 when this ole lady asked us over fer vittles. I wuz mitey glad ta eat somethin' besides Pop Tarts, peanut butter 'n baby food. [We wuz short a ice box at the time.]

This sweet lady had lost her husband 'n had fell on the hard times herownself. She wuz livin' off some socialized security. I think she asked us over so she wouldnt have ta eat alone. She fixed "Lumberjack Spaghetti". It wuz noodles with butter 'n ketchup ('n some simple spices). Mebbe I wuz jest hungry, but it wuz mitey good eatin'.....real butter.

I didnt eat no bone in rib eye durin' them days, but I could put Emeril ta shame with some beans, rice, taters, tomatoes, garlic, jalapenos 'n onions. Peanut butter wuz my best friend. :mrgreen:

thanks fer the memories,
bearridge
bob hope college of fine art

Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice. Unknown