Tales from Lake LeBarge.... | SouthernPaddler.com

Tales from Lake LeBarge....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Fella's, I have had alot of time to think over the past couple of weeks being cooped up inside the cabin. I'm getting 'Cabin Fever' and it's only November.
I have given alot of thought to Family members long gone and of winters and Holidays long gone. Pleasant thoughts actually.
As I look across my snow covered frozen landscape on this crystal clear bitter morning, I gave alot of thought to weather over the past half century. I can remember Winter in the 50's. We had snow on the ground and very cold temps before Thanksgiving. Seemed as snow covered the ground from Thanksgiving until Late winter. We could ice skate on the farm pond all winter. Than as we drifted into the 60's, 70's and 80's, seemed we didn't get snow except some in December and January and temps we're very mild. You could almost believe the Global Warming theory.
As we move into the 1st 10 years of a new century, I notice a weather shift again. It's becoming more like it was in the 50's again. Snow and bitter cold before Thanksgiving, no more days in the 60's in November and short sleeve shirts. It's taking it's time time but we seem to be moving into a cold era once again.
I hear glaciers are melting, I don't know about that.....I do know the Fall and Winters around here are getting more snowy and colder. Maybe it will take time for the Glaciers to slow and stop their melting. All this is just an observation of some old fat guy looking out of his window across alot of years and across Lake LaBarge.
As in most cases....Time will tell.

I believe now I'll think about an asiago cheese bagel with sun dried tomato cream cheese on the top and fresh juice. :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yakus Philosphicus,

Your observations sorta match mine. Weather comes and goes. The globe may be warming, and it may be cooling. It's likely doing both.

Vikings lived nearly at the door of the US for along time, until the mini ice age. Starved out and moved.

Pueblo Indians - Hopi and about four other large groups - lived in canyons for a couple thousand years. Drought and they starved out and had to move.

As a kid here in the country east of Lansing, there were never any deer, beaver, or coyotes. Deer and coyotes run in my yard now. Beaver are in local rivers. And, the price of a Hershey bar went from 5 cents to a dollar.

Only true statement that survives is, "And this too, shall change."

wrhester

Robert Service

Now, seeing this post reminded me of a poem about Lake Lebarge. I imagine this is what is referenced in the post. My dear wife related this wonderful tale on one of our first winters together while we were selling Christmas trees and watching the ice form on everything around us. I felt like Sam McGee had it right. So, here is the tale for the rest of you who haven't had the pleasure of meeting Sam...he was a feller after my own heart.

http://www.wordinfo.info/words/index/info/view_unit/2640/?letter=C&spage=26

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
If you like that poem look for a book I believe is titled "Tales From the Yucon" by Robert Service. I shop Barnes and Nobel or Amazon on line, they both have used book sections where you can find just about anything you want in out of print books. Robert Service's poems about the Yucon and Gold Rush will put you there.

Richard

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Too few poems are well crafted. Many have syllables left over at the end of a line, or extra line left over at the end of syllables. Sam McGee triumphs in both categories.

Also, some poems use so much poetic license that a reader can't tell what the poet was trying to convey in the first place. Or, even if you can understand it, the meaning is trivial. Again, McGee triumphs.

Service's other poem that triumphs in these categories is Barbed Wire Bill.

While Lightfoot did a marvelous job of selecting picturesque words in Edmund Fitzgerald, he stumbles several times with excess or a shortage of syllables.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Just got back from a paddle on the Ebenezer and at 5pm it was 72 degrees. First paddle since my surgery and I was overdue! With listening to the doc and then being in charge of my son who also just had surgery, I was getting cabin fever to the max. :twisted: Anytime I can't get to the water once a week I tend to get a little nuts...... Yaker, hurry up and move down before the ice age gets here and we all spend winter cooped up..... :roll:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I'm working on it Franke......I'm working on it! :wink:

I'm just thinking if I get down there how much stuff I can borrow from you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gosh that Ebenezer is so nice.....I don't think a day goes by when the Ogeechee or Ebeneezer isn't on my mind. :(