Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck | Page 11 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Keeping Things Equal

As in other areas, there are some truisms in flying. You may already know the one about, "There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots. But there are no old, bold pilots." Another, more subtle one, is that, "Your number of take offs and landings should be equal." Yesterday, Julie did her first four take offs and landings. She's on her way now, as I write this, to go do some more.

"Scarry as hell!" Was her response when I asked her how it was. "A whole new dimension to just riding along and taking pictures, or even flying it straight and level." She has to wrap her mind around the job, ignore the pucker-factor, and press on.

She'll have to do her own preflight inspection of the Duck this morning. Steve will double check it. She'll have to talk with the weather briefer and get her own weather briefing. The briefer will have to go slowly, and probably repeat and explain some things. But, she'll wrap her mind around those things too, and learn. The briefer and Steve will earn their money this morning.

Autumn scenery will be glorious out there this morning, but I doubt that she'll recall any of it. In a while, I'll drive on over to the coffee shop, listen to her retell the tales, and smile like a proud Daddy ought to. After all - she's my partner.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
With Doug As My Copilot

On Friday mornings, at tha A&W in Mason Michigan, we have a pilots' breakfast. To be fair, several other groups gather for breakfasts too - but the best looking ones are at our table. Ahem!

Julie was in Battle Creek visiting family, so I was batting solo. For a week or so, weather had stunk. Wind and snow had dominated our weatherscape, and the Duck remained tucked warmly away. But today! Today was bright and sunny; winds were calm to light. It was 19 degrees out there - only 50 more and it would be picnic weather.

I'd been planning on flying today all week long, and then Julie's visit was extended a day. My copilot was gone. However, here was a gaggle of pilots sitting right here. Hmm, lessee if I can figure this out?

"Hey, guys, I'm gonna go fly this morning. Anyone want to come along?"
Mike spoke up, "We've been going to fly, and I'd like to go along with you. But, we're going hunting this morning! Damn. Next time?"
"You bet, Mike." The Duck is only a little puddle jumper. Nothing like the F-16s or big Boeings he's used to flying. Closer to pure stick and rudder stuff.

Next to me, Doug wagged his head, "Wellll, I was going to get a haircut, get some groceries, and then drive some rivets in the wing of the bird we're building. BU-uutttt, I guess I couuuuuuld go along. I guess."
"Gee, Doug. I wouldn't want to tear you away from all those responsibilites and all."
"Oh. . . . . That's OK. I can get a haircut tomorrow, I guess, i need to go back home and get dressed for flying. It's cold out there."
"Meet me at the hangar. I'll get started on the preflight and weather briefing."

Preflight inspection done, weather briefing confirmed CAVU conditions, balmy and bright - "Let's pull her out and crank her up. Lessee if we can get this thing off the ground."
"One One Yankee, Lansing. In your 1 to 2 o'clock is an aircraft at 2,600 heading southwesterly."
"Lansing, One One Yankee. Thanks. I'll turn on my landing lights so he can see me, and watch for him." In a couple more minutes, the other aircraft turned and was no longer a factor. We entered the pattern at Livingston County KOZW, and touched down.

As I've written before, they have the best coffee right here in this terminal. I signed the pilot's log, recycled the coffee situation, talked with the lady behind the counter, and admired the new building, and got ready for the return trip. Visibility was 20-25 miles. We were looking at the inside of a hemisphere about 40-50 miles across. With a bright covering of snow all over everything, it was a crystaline bowl, all spread out just for us.

Back at our homefield we were approaching from the east, flying W'ly. Simultaneously, Jim Spry was approaching from the south. Both of us on the radio coordinated, he entered the pattern about three minutes ahead of us and was taxiing in as we entered the downwind leg.

After Doug and I got the Duck tucked in, we went to Jim's hangar. Lots of joshing around, ragged on Al Spalding who just happened to be there too, and then Doug and I were off for a sandwich and cuppa tea at the bestsellers Coffee Shop. We'd cheated death twice, and were ready to celebrate a bit.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Three Up! Three Down!

"Wintry mix" pretty well described our weather today. I'd planned to fly about 50 miles SW'ly and circle Julie's old house a few times. The weather briefing lady mentioned "Moderate icing, 2,000' to 8,000'." Nuts! I told her to halt the briefing right there. I'm not flying into known icing conditions except to flee an advancing enemy. We'll fly the pattern right here at Mason Jewett Field. So, she reported weather and all for the local area.

So, Julie and I pulled the Duck out into the cold and cranked her up. Other aircraft were working the pattern already, and we slid into the rotation scheme. A Piper had taxied up behind me as I stopped to run it up to confirm that both magnetos were operational. As I announced taking off and remaining in the pattern, he said, "Have a good flight, Jack." I thanked him, and asked Julie if she recognized the voice? "Nope, I don't."

To practice short field takeoffs, I set 10 degree flaps, accellerated to 60mph, popped in another ten degrees and the Duck went up in a steep climb at about 65mph. I let her climb high enough to clear an 80' obstacle, leveled off and started to slowly raise the flaps. This gets the bird back to being aerodynamically clean so she can accellerate in level flight. As we reached 80, I pulled up to climb out. At 500' above ground level we entered into a two-minute turn to the right and lined up for a right hand downwind for runway 10.

The first takeoff and landing were "OK", but nothing to write home about. The next two were some better. "It's been a while since we've been up." Julie smiled. "Yeah - feels good again, ehh?" Looking out at a countryside all spread out for us is always a joy. I have to say that it does affect how I view Life in general whenever I get to see the world from this perspective.

As we slowed down after the third landing, turned onto the taxiway and cleared the active runway, we taxied up to the ramp where fuel pumps are located. That Piper aircraft taxied up a minute later and I found out who was at the controls. Todd Cotter, my friend who manages Fitch Beech Field KFPK at Charlotte. He also maintains the Duck. She couldn't suppress a flirtatious little wag of her tail as he shut down his engine about 45 yards behind us. Shameless little hussy!

$110 worth of avgas later, we taxied to the Duck's nest and put her to bed. Off to the Bestsellers Coffeeshop and Vault Deli for a late lunch. Here, a young Mom and her precocious 2nd grader were having lunch at the adjacent table. He was reading a National Geographic science book of wild & wacky facts for kids. We enjoyed talking with them both.

Somehow, with Julie, it's always an interesting day.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Socked In

Yesterday, Julie and I got in the air again. We'd had to sit in the coffee shop a couple of hours waiting for the cloud ceiling to rise. Tough duty - but someone's gotta do it. Finally, about 12:30, it cleared up. The Duck was chuck full of fuel, so we needed only the preflight inspection and a weather briefing. A line of weather was in northern Indiana, just south of the Michigan border, but wasn't forecasted to come north fast enough to be a factor. The operative word here is "forecasted".

We launched and flew SW'ly to overfly her house in Battle Creek. I planned then to make a full stop landing at Marshall KRMY. It's always a pleasant place to visit. We skirted around some tall towers on the way down. I don't care if we do have over 1,000 feet of clearance over them, I'd still prefer to go wide. I turned about a half a mile prior to her house, but we couldn't pick it out of the ground clutter. We advised Kalamazoo Control that we were then proceeding to Marshall.

My radios were already set to recieve both weather and traffic from Marshall. Listening to weather from there gave a surprise. We could see the line of grey clouds off to our right, but couldn't tell how bad they were. Marshall had a ceiling of only 2,500' above the ground. Less than an hour ago, it was 12,000 feet!

"Kalamazoo, One One Yankee. We're aborting that landing at Marshall, and proceeding directly to Mason Jewett." This is known as Plan B, or "Let's get the hell out of here." We could have landed safely and legally at Msrshall - and then remained over night. It was socking in fast, and I wanted to get back home while my home field was still operational.

Actually, one of the ways tha VFR pilots like me get killed, is by flying into weather that is beyond our capability and our plane's capability to handle. That's how young John John Kennedy bought the farm. I elected to honor the old saying that "Prudence is the better part of valor", and skedaddle along home.

Our landing back at Mason was pretty good, if I do say so myself. We'd cheated death again, and it was time for a cuppa coffee.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
One That Shouldn't Have Been

It has been said that, "The road to Hell is paved with the best of intentions." That surely seemed to be the way of it yesterday. Another pilot (a very accomplished pilot) and I started out to deliver toys to deserving kids. It's part of a very good project called Good Cheer. We did it last year, and I sincerely wanted to do it again. 'Twasn't to be.

Ceiling was overcast at 1,400 feet above ground level; visibility was 1 mile - but only sometimes. Intrepidly, we took off. HOLY CRAP!! I couldn't see very far ahead - only about 30 to 40 seconds ahead. We continued. That was my decision - a dumb and dangerous decision. Really dumb and really dangerous.

We flew south about 20 miles to Jackson KJXN for breakfast. A great group of guys, but what in hell am I doing flying here? "Be quiet, you harkenkng voice. I don't want to hear you." Then, we took off to fly 75 miles to Pontiac KPTK. This morning, it was one of the busiest airports in the world.

For some inexplicable reason, my GPS moving map had gone blank. And it was the only eyes I had out in front of us. It showed terrain and obstacles. And, there are a LOT of towers out there. And on the most critcal flight of my life, it didn't work. We're 400-600 feet above ground level, not very far above tall silos and hay racks. Not nearly far enough. Things were tense in the cockpit. Mistakes were being made by both of us; probably mostly by me.

Obstacles were hiding in - and then popping out of - the fog and mist. We had to abort and return to Mason KTEW. The only smart decision of the day. As Pilot In Command it was my responsibility, and fault. Yesterday, I cheated Death a LOT. Never again!

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Dear Jack,
I am proud as punch everything turned out ok. Has the gut wrenching Knots left your Gut yet? I understand how that can be. In my crew and tow boating years when I needed to cross the Houston Ship Channel and there was a ship coming, I had a Mantra I would say. When In Doubt, Wait It Out.If there is the slightest twinge of doubt, do not go. Some one is trying to tell you something. Listen.
Congratulations on your Great luck.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Snow-Go/No-Go

It's been too long since the Duck and I have been up. Today, Julie's off to Battle Creek on business, so it's a good day for a solo flight. Weather briefing disclosed some, by now, familiar patterns. Michigan weather seems to be a mix of influences from (1) forces outside the state - Canada in the winter, and the Gulf of Mexico in summer - and (2) the surrounding Great Lakes - primarily Lake Michigan.

Today, Lake Michigan was a major contender. Using the back of your left habn to represent the large, lower peninsula of Michigan, construct a couple of North/South lines vertically on it. In between yuor pinky litle finger and the ring finger, imagine a line from the Southern Michigan border (your wrist) extending N'ly all the way up to your finger tips. Move in and construct a similar line between your ring and middle fingers. The first line roughly represents US Highway 31. The second line roughly represents US Highway 27 up the center of the state to the Mackinac Straits.

All winter long, snow comes in off of Lake Michigan routinely at lesst as far E'ly as the first line, US-31. (In the summer, it's rainy in the same area - it's called "lake effect"). On non-routine days, snow extends from our our coast (Lake Michigan) E'ly as far in as US-27. Today is a transition day. The whole western half, of the state has "intermitent snow showers".

I planned a simple, little flight from Mason KTEW W'ly to Charlotte's Fitch Beach Field KFPK. Once there, a cuppa coffee and some hangar talk, then return home. Take off was routine and it was a nice ride to Charlotte. A few miles short of there, I could see scattered snow showers all over the place. I loitered a bit, looking around and just figuring what to do. The more I looked, the more little snow showers were popping up and moving SE'ly along the ground. Looking down through them was easy, like looking down through fog. It's thin vertically, so it's easy to see through. But, and this can be a big but, it's thick horizontally. That can make it difficult to see through when on or near the ground.

It can be tricky because most of the way down you can still see ahead. But, the closer to the ground you get, the more you are looking along horizontally where it's thicker. All of a sudden you realize that you can't see far enough ahead to be safe. What should I do?. Should I continue as planned and try to land? Or, should I firewall the throttle and abort? Of course, all this time you're moving along at 80-90mph and the ground is going past and you're sinking lower into low visibility. Today, I aborted from altitude instead of somewhere already in the landing procedure. Today, I was smarter than I have been at other times in the past. Today, I cheated death pretty easily.

Flying home was a nice ride too. Michigan's Grand River curled its way along underneath me. This Is actually a scenic river to paddle. Most of it has a sandy and gravelly bottom. Most of it has banks that used to be good for camping and hunting. Today, the banks are mostly private property. A few parks are available. Deer and Canadian geese and turkey abound, and some hunting is still there.

Without Julie there to help push the Duck back up the ramp into the hangar, the winch came in handy. All tucked in and a lullaby having been sung to her, the Duck was happy. I'm off to hot coffee and lunch.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Just the other day I was thinking about you not posting a trip report. I was wondering if may be your cabin heater was not working properly was why you were not flying. So I guess it was just bad weather. Seems like you have had a bit of that. Be careful.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yeah, 1/2" of snow overnight. Low viz and low ceilings have yielded only a few good time windows. And, most of them slipped right on past me.

The exhaust heater keeps the cockPit pretty nice. But, I wore smart wool and drawers as insurance anyway.

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Attaboy Jack! Two good decisions lately and sharing with us as a reminder for our daily lives even if we are not flying. Whether paddling in (too) rough water, or driving in bad weather. There are usually options to avoid bad situations and recognizing the problem early provides more choices for correction.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
STOL

Next week, the Duck goes in for its annual inspection. There are always a few things to fix - deferred maintenance - and an improvement or two to add. Since the Duck and I started flying together, I've improved some things that I considered to be critical.
Seat belts replaced with a 3 point belt and shoulder harness with an inertial reel
New whiskey compass
New brakes & tires
15 amp generator replaced with 30 amp alternator (all electrical malfunctions disappeared when we did this)
Added an oil filter to the engine
Rebuilt the engine (albeit after a stupid prop strike)
Added a Reserve Lift Indicator as an angle of attack gauge, and stall warning
New fuel lines

And this time, the biggest modification of all, a STOL kit - Short Take Off and Landing kit. When the Duck was built, 29 Sep 62, she got the standard wing that Cessna had been using since right after WWII. In the 90's, Cessna modified the wing, and I understand the new one develops about 15-20% more lift. (They pretty much had to, because the 172 model had gained weight over the years.)

This STOL kit the Duck will get will nearly double the lift. Then, I should be able to get back out of a lot of sod strips around here that are fun to go to. It will be even easier to get into them too. But getting out is more critical.

Just the wing span of a B-52 - the birds that Andy (Old Buff Pilot) flew, - is longer than the first flight at Kitty Hawk. That's a pretty hunbling thought. Orville and Wilbur hadn't figured it out yet. But - it didn't take long. Now, a plane has flown non-stop around the world!

Soon, the Ruptured Duck will be an even safer plane to fly, taking off and landing in shorter distances, no stalling and augering in on the critical turn from base leg to final, and trolling slower for recon of rivers to canoe. I'm anxious to get her in and back out, and start exploring the new flight envelope in the lower end of the flight regime.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks, Bob. I'll try to keep you updated on what the Duck is doing. Was planning to go up yesterday, with the fellow who sold her to me. But, crosswinds on the ground were gusting over 20mph, and bumpy at altitude. We could have flown if we'd had to. We didn't have to. Time for another cuppa coffee.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
ANNUAL INSPECTION - A Couple More Improvements

The big improvement will be the STOL kit. The other two are smaller, but will be welcome improvements. The throttle is a simple push/pull knob on the end of a rod attached to a bodin cable. Pretty much like a throttle on a lawn mower or garden tractor. It works perfectly except in one, small range. Just above idle, when I'd like to just tweak it 50-75 RPM, I seem to get something more like a 150/200 RPM change. A vernier throttle starts with a basic push/pull, and then adds a twistable knob. When you twist the knob you can dial RPM up or down just a bit. It should help for setting idle on a cold engine, on final approach to landing, and in cruise.

The final litle improvement is a set of new seat cushions. The present ones have little decorative "wings" sticking out of the seat and the back about 2" on both sides. They serve no functional purpose, but were meant to look good. They don't. Darned things hit the door handles, and make it difficult to close the doors, and to even find the handles to open the door. They also make it difficult to reach down between the seats to adjust the fuel selector valve (Off, Left Tank, Right Tank, On). And, getting to the fire extinguisher is dicey too.

I'm REALLY looking forward to getting the Duck back.