1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Kayak Jack, Jul 9, 2012.

1. oldbuffpilot

oldbuffpilot Well-Known Member

Jack, I'm glad you are able to continue to fly, it's a real joy! The FAA medical is the reason I decided to sell the airplane and REALLY retire. After 40+ years of a bureaucrat in OKC deciding if I get a paycheck or not I'd had enough of them.

Keep having fun
    Andy

2. Kayak Jack

Kayak Jack Well-Known Member

You're right on that score, Chuck. An interesting thing is, that two different branches of the Federal Aeronautical Administration (FAA) are operating in very different manners. The medical branch is dragging out everything that they do. They are slow to begin with, and then request piles of unecessary documentation on top of that. So, a procedure that should take no more than an hour, stretches out for months.

On the other hand, the branch that approves modifications to certified aircraft, are moving in only months to a year or two, compared to decades or never. Newer technology is being approved, at a fraction of the previous cost. Better instrumentation, autopilots, etc. are now being approved, purchased, installed, and used. Interestingly enough, flight safety has improved too.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  3. Kayak Jack

Andy, you might want to connect with AOPA about their rusty pilot programs? Though, you may not be all that rusty. Call (800)872-2672, and ask for the Pilot Information Center (PIC). Ask them about your eligibility for BasicMed. Believe me, that the physical with your family doctor is much, much easier. It covers aircraft up to 6 people, and (I think) 12,500 pounds gross weight. Way over anything a 182 would be.
    Keep'em flying!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  4. Kayak Jack

114 years ago today, 17 December, was the first flight at Kittyhawk.

(I think they flew a Cessna.)

5. Kayak Jack

TANIS, AND ANNUAL

A few days ago, I got a phone call. "Hey, Jack. It's good weather, and I'm here at the hangar. Bring the Duck on over. I have an empty spot for it here, and it's next in line". It's only a 23 mile hop over to Howell KOZW. Piece of cake.

Jim's call made me jump start my day, and reschedule an appointment. I hustled to the hangar and plugged in the Tanis engine heater. Free Air Temp was -3 degrees, and without supplemental heat, my engine wouldn't even turn over, let alone start. When I returned 4 hours later, the engine was still stone cold! I called Jim and informed him that I certainly wouldn't be there today. AARRGGHH!!

Looking around, I found the fuse and pulled it. An odd fuse. After trying three stores, I gave up and called the Tanis people. WOW! What service. It was 4:30 on Friday afternoon, and the president of the company answered. This is a special little fuse, made especially for them. He stuck a couple of them in the msil. The Tanis has heater pads on the bottom and top sides of the crankcase/block assembly, and one in each cylinderhead. It is the best system I've seen for preheating an aircraft engine.

In the meantime, I had an under capacity fuse (10 amp instead of 12) in, and hoped. Next day - another disappointment. Julie and I retreated to the Bestsellers coffee and book shop to lick our wounds. There, we ran into two friends, one of them another pilot. I told him the story, and he said, "No problem! We'll just use my portable heater for an hour, and it'll start. Just give me a call and we'll get it done."

So, now I need to line up Jim at the hangsr, Terry at the heater, and the weather gods. Then, The Ruptured Duck can get inspected and repaired at its annual inspection.

6. Wannabe

Wannabe Well-Known Member

-3F. Jack?? Why would you even consider going outside at that tempt. I guess it's all about what you are used to.

7. Kayak Jack

Well, we can put on comfy clothes and be comfortable in those temps. Whereas, if both the temp and humidity are above, say, 85, we can't take off enough clothes to get comfortable. There are advantages and disadvantages in all circumstances. I've lived in pretty much all climates, and enjoyed most of them, Though, I couldn't find much good in Viet Nam.