Tandem (foam) prototype 15 X 31 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tandem (foam) prototype 15 X 31

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Well since I sold my first kayak and everyone I have built since isn't stable enough for 2. The first one I did was plenty stable but it weighed 65+ lbs.
I saved the old pattern and spent the day making up some decent frames and tweaking and lengthening the design. It is a symmetrical design. The frames are 20'' apart.
The center frame has the bottom panel width of 24 1/4'' and at the 4'' WL the width of the boat is 31''.
27'' off center the 4''WL is 29''
48'' off center the 4'' WL is 25''
68'' off center the WL is 16''
Their is 1'' of rocker at 6' off center.
The center frame has about 1'' drop off the keel making a shallow V.

The first kayak...viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8158

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Re: Tandem prototype 15 X 31

Added strips of oak to see the lines of the chines...and to make cardboard patterns..

All the lines look good
And the cardboard....

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.

More views..Well does it look doable?

Now for the kicker..trying to make the panels from 1/2'' foam :wink:
Both panels are 4 1/2'' wide all the way down the sides..The first one is going to be the hardest to twist without breaking..

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.

Well I had some scrap 3/4'' foam so I riped an 8'' strip from a partial sheet and it worked :) ...
I guess 1/2'' should work ..
A 3/4'' hull would make a 32 1/2'' beam..pluss make it stronger I guess??

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
JEM said:
was the corrugated used to ensure the panel wouldn't get wavy?

Matt
Just used the cardboard to make panel templates to transfer to the foam...I get 4x8 cardboard cover sheet stock for free from my hardwood supplier. Makes good mock ups for experimenting arround with furniture or boats....old school I guess ...

Steve

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Got all the pcs. (bevel) cut and gluing together the sides are done the bottom panels will be glued today....

I'd have pics. but the wife left the camera at the daughters house...she'll pich it up this week some time...probably have the bottom glassed by then..