Taut-Line-Hitch | SouthernPaddler.com

Taut-Line-Hitch

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have found a knot that is ideal for the rain fly's on the hammocks if you tie them off to trees , scrubs or anything even the ground and then it could be used to keep the lines tight if the rain fly sags. It would be ideal for tarps , to keep then tight. It is a simple but very effective knot and is easy to untie when breaking camp.

The beauty of it is that after it is tied then it can be adjusted without un-tieing the knot to adjust the tension on the line.Just slide the knot where it gives the tension you want on the line.

Based on Rolling hitch #1734, this version is the one most often seen named Taut-line hitch, commonly in non-nautical sources. It is the method currently taught by the Boy Scouts of America.

Borrowed this picture from .... wikipedia/

550px-TautlineHitch-ABOK-1800.jpg

1. Pass the working end around the anchor object. Bring it back alongside of the standing part and make a half-hitch around the standing part.
2. Continue with another wrap inside the loop, effectively making a round turn around the standing part.
3. Complete with a half-hitch outside the loop, made in the same direction as the first two wraps, as for a clove hitch.
4. Dress by snugging the hitch firmly around the standing part. Load slowly and adjust as necessary.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yep, a handy knot. Unlike the bowline, which is a fixed loop; this is an adjustable loop. And to make it even handier, in step# 3, after the end is passed under the little loop, repass it back again - only partway. Then snug up the knot. This way, when it is time to break camp you just pull on that little single end, it slips out, and the knot comes apart in your hand.

This is called tying a "slipped knot". I try to tie slipped knots in all camping applications so it's easier to break camp - just in case Ronnie calls the dam guys and requests another unscheduled release. :)

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
That's the same knot taught to me as a Boy Scout back in the late '50s, early '60s. We used it for tent ropes and tarp ropes. Still working for me today. :mrgreen:

Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was thinking about mentioning the slippery side of it but skipped it , thought there might be to many questions on it and could not find a picture explaining the process , I like pictures to explain things. Same principal as the bowline , your weight (if used to hang a hammock) draws the know tighter and the tag end can be pulled to break the knot loose in the morning.

Jack... Like you , all my knots are the give the line a pull and apart them come , except for the Hennessey knot and that one you have to unwrap. Haven't found a way to make it slippery.... barring the idea of a really sharp knife blade. :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Chuck, take a look at this http://www.animatedknots.com/indexclimb ... dknots.com The Butterfly knot.

When I hang a Hennessy, I try to tie one end as fixed, and the other end as adjustable. Trying to get the two ends an even length. I use the trucker's hitch on the adjusting end. The normal loop used in a trucker's hitch is a B!T[H to get undone after some heavy weight has slept in my hammock.

I think this butterfly knot is the same as an artillery knot, which will untie a lot easier after weight is applied - even my lard ar$e. [

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack...

I'm getting lazier by the day , guess it is all that warm weather down here that just makes a person ( Yawnnnn) so non energetic. When I noticed that tight line hitch , figured that was ideal for the rain fly out to trees or anything , fast , simple and easy plus adjustable.

Now to complete the no energy package for the hammock...... Hammocks do make you relaxed , ya know. The tree huggers with a couple of rings on the line from the hammock. Toss the tree hugger around the tree bring it to a set of double rings on the hammocks line , pass the tree hugger under the rings then over the top one , then back under the two of them and above the webbing coming in , now back towards the tree. Just like those old belt buckles that were a hit in the 50's every hippy had to have.

Photo from http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearR ( Hammock Section )
20070127MtRogers-09.JPG

Need to adjust the hammock , just slide the rings where it is right and cinch them down with a slight pull. In the morning , give the tag end a tug and the whole mess comes loose. 1/12 inch rings with a 1 1/2 inch webbing ... :D

This way the hammock goes up in a flash , stays up , is easily adjusted and comes down in the morning without any problems or time wasting effort.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Just touching base for anyone new on here......

Taut-line-hitch.
When the kids were down here I was showing them this knot to use for the boats along with a modification of it. I like this one for tying the guide lines for the rain fly on the hammock but it is just as good for the lines from the rain fly on a tent.

The ideal use of it is that it is adjustable just by sliding it but it does not slide on its own.

For the support ropes on the hammock this is the one I use. http://www.junglehammock.com/youtube.php

Basically it is a line ran from the hammock to a tree but there is a drip ring in the line between the hammock and the tree. Then the line is brought back to the ring threw it and three half hitches in it. Again it is adjustable and quite strong.

To hold the boats down for them , I made a loop in the line a distance from the front of the boat. I doubled the line and tied a simple granny knot with excess line making the loop. Then the free end is passed over the stationary area and brought back threw the loop and tied off to itself.

The ideal thing is they are adjustable and no need to retie everything if it is not just right or needs a little adjustment to be right.

More information here for knots to use. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6941

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
next to the bowline this is my # 2 most useful knot. There is one modification to the tying technique that makes it even better - when you are making your second half hitch through the loop instead of putting it neatly on top of the first one you can place it over and across the first half hitch so that it jams between the first half hitch and the tensioned part of the line going to the anchor point. This "locks" the hitch - it can still slide if you want it to but it will take much more force.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I traditionally do three, instead of only two, wraps outside the loop. This also adds more kink under tension, and thus more grip. When finishing off, I tie a slipped knot by not pulling the working end all the way through the loop. I double it and put the bight into the loop, leaving the loose end out after the entire knot is snugged up. This way, I can untie it by just tugging on that single end.