Tea | SouthernPaddler.com

Tea

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Several of us (only the good looking, elite, educated ones) on Suthrin Piddler drink tea. While you can make tea from almost any leaf, twig, or root in the outdoors, some are a helluva lot better than others. Here's a source for tea that is many notches above any store-bought tea you can get in your local supermarket.

HINT: Lipton is WAYYYY down the totem pole of taste and quality. Red Rose is a good standard for black teas. Twining's Earl Gray tea is the best I can find at a local store.

http://www.specialteas.com/ These folks have some exotic teas, the type reserved for those 20-30 special occasions a year. I like their Spring thunder# 776 the best so far.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Lemme tell ya, WCP, green tea stateside tastes ALTOGETHER DIFFERENT than it ever did in Japan. Here, it is palatable and I drink it often. Over there, it tasted like the wet, sticky grass accumulation under your mower that first time in the spring when you mow the first, lush growth. YUCK!!

For some reason, Chinese green tea never tasted like that to me.

I'd taught my kids about making tea in the outback. First time my Dad proudly showed off his raspberry patch to my kids and asked, "You know what these are, don't you?" My oldest daughter stopped him in his tracks with, "Yes, tea leaves."

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Kayak Jack said:
Veddy veddy good on a cold day. Nice with roast beef too, and a rousing pipe afterwards.
Mornin';
For me on a cold evenin', it's 2 oz of hot water, 2 tspn sugar, 1 pad of butter (not that oleo or margarine crap) , a cinnamon stick and 1 or 1 1/2 oz of Gentle Jack. Now that's Good (if you double the recipe it's even better) :lol:, then nice Roast Beef, and a RyJ Reserve Maduro Longsdale cigar :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks, Dave. I'm now a registered Madura-ite. Will try it in the future.

P4R, my Dad would make something similar, only using honey instead of sugar. Sugar was rationed during the war - honey wasn't. Go figure. Never added butter, though. Sounds like what they do in Yakland atop Mt Everest.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Tea?Tea?

I thought you crazy buggers threw it all in Boston Harbour :lol: :lol:

For me, Tea made from stream water, boiled in a pot (we call them a billy) over an open fire can't be beat.

Bring the water to the boil, add a handfull of the tea to the water and return to the fire and bring back to the boil again.

Once boiling, remove from fire and swing the billy at full arm length, through 360 degrees,twice.

pour into a cup and add generous amounts of sugar.

Ahh, Billy Tea. An Aussie icon :D