Tents | SouthernPaddler.com

Tents

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have one that goes up in a flash , ( between one to two minutes ) is self supporting and with plenty of room in it , including head room. It's what they call there three man one. 3-Man ATuffy ALX 2008 Tent w/large rain fly.
You want to move it , pull the ground stakes ( if you used them ) pick the tent up and move it wherever you like.

lostmines%20004.jpg

This was at the lost-mines campground and I had a cot inside it for sleeping.
Right now they are on sale but that ends 1-1-09

http://www.apachetents.com/

I can have this tent set up before the other guys have theirs ready to put up. It also has withstood some really nasty weather. One trip in the glades the wind blew so hard the tent actually was forced down on me while I was in it and then when the wind let up it was back like normal. It has storm tie downs on it ( to stop that ) and I did not use them that day.

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
The ones I use, for year round camping here in Florida:
Eureka Apex 2xt (fits 2 people, 2 doors, two poles to set up)
57.jpg

http://www.eurekatent.com/p-57-apex-2xt.aspx

North Face Rock 22 (fits one person but it is listed as a 2 person, lots of mesh, two poles to set up, mine has 1 door, newer ones look like they have two and less mesh)
AT1U_26Q_1_201x201.jpg

Sierra Designs Velox 1 (teenie tiny 1 person, lots of mesh, 2 poles to set up, seems to be discontinued now)
sierra_designs_velox1.jpg

DM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
If you are stuck on a tent, I recommend a Eureka Tundraline. http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/br ... ,6753.html

My 7 year old granddaughter helps me with this one, or it goes up easily with just one person. Large, covered vestibules store all the gear outside the tent.

It is well ventilated and well protected from storms. Most astoundingly, when it says "3 man", it REALLY is three man. It is larger than my eureka Timberline 4 man tent.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
dangermouse01 said:
North Face Rock 22 (fits one person but it is listed as a 2 person, lots of mesh, two poles to set up, mine has 1 door, newer ones look like they have two and less mesh)
AT1U_26Q_1_201x201.jpg

DM

I have one and the two person one is OK for one person and YES it does have two doors with a fair amount of screening. Not sure how much compared to earlier models.
They are a well made tent but don't pack up really small , sort of a mid size pack when rolled up.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Darrells,

I figger the need ta move a tent quick cuz of rizin' water depends more on how much gear ya gotta move az a heap a unpacked gear. A small tent aint likely ta be near bout az hard ta move. If all yer gear iz inside the tent, ya got a big job unloadin' then movin' ta higher ground by flashlite. Not fun in the middle of the nite 'er in the wee hours.

Best not ta set up yer tent down near the waterline.....particularly if there iz a dam upstream. :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps I like the Eureka Timberline. Empty 'n without stakes I kin pick it up 'n set it down wherever I want.

The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass everyday.  unknown

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Darrel,

Having Ronnie Smith along is worth more than a good tent. Not only is he fun to watch, he's a fair cook. He is an excellent Early Water Warning System - abbreviated EWWS and pronounced "EEEYOUSE" (Sounds a lot like what a teen age girl would say if she stepped in something brown and gooey.)

A lesson I learned that night was to keep my EPIRB (Electronic Position Indicator Radio Beacon)or PLB (Perspnal Locator Beacon) strapped to ME, and not to the PFD. I traditionally toss my paddle, PFD, and other miscellaneous gear under the boat outside the tent at night.

Had the water risen after we were asleep in a tent, my alarm would have been going down stream ahead of me, and I would be rolling in a tent. NOT a smart position to put myself into. I consider this important if I'm on a lake or river below a large dam. Otherwise, the PLB is strapped to the PFD.

See my entry in the Survival Kit thread. If you're serious aobut being rescued, CARRY A PLB that has GPS included. www.acrelectonics.com

It's only critical.