Termites?! | SouthernPaddler.com

Termites?!

CadillacSlm

Oct 11, 2013
Ahhh!!! My first pirogue is infested with termites! The rail on one side was kinda buried in a bunch of wet leaves because I am a bit of a procrastinator... And well, some termites moved in cause apparently they like eat wood or something... :roll: Any chance of fixing this? Cutting out the offending wood and some how fitting a new piece in?

Thanks for the help!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Any chance of fixing this? Cutting out the offending wood and some how fitting a new piece in?

That would be an easy fix , just make sure you get all the bad wood out and replaced. I hope you checked all of the pirogue for damage , sometimes a small area will indicate a larger area elsewhere.

Just for your information there is a penetrating epoxy made to use on wood that has dry rot. the epoxy penetrates the rotten wood and then sets up making the wood rock hard and replacing the dry rot. If you think you might want to go that route then Google penetrating epoxy ( there is a large choice ) and it will specify if it is for wood saturation. It might work on termite damage if the area is not really large.
Hears one ....http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... d&type=pla
( to use it you drill some small holes in the bad wood area , then add the epoxy into the holes so it soaks into the bad area and replaces it with the epoxy. )

There is always this choice.
If it is to much work then just build a new one. 2 sheets of wood , some epoxy and fiberglass along with spare time and you have a new boat.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Come on, Cadillac Slim, you KNOW you want another pirogue! Have those kids help you repair the old one, and then let them help you build a new one. You win all the way around - and so do they.

"When a kid is helping you to build a boat, you are not building a boat with a kid. What you are really doing - is building a kid, with a boat."

That kid will never forget it, and what you did for them. And, they will likely pass along your good character to yet another kid in the future. A very good part of you will go along into the future.

CadillacSlm

Oct 11, 2013
Ok, you're right, I will now need to build a new boat as penance for allowing my first boat to decay. My son had decided that we will need to do something more complicated... like a Touring Pirogue -TV 15-32???

But first... Any suggestions on how to go about this repair? Seems like it would be difficult to do a joint and match the curve of the boat with a shorter piece. Maybe replacing the whole rail?
10253592393_c0f98ff6bf.jpg

This is the offending rail. It looks like termite damage in various spots for about 19 inches or so. The pirogue is 14'6"

10253487605_c17883b6e4.jpg

Some more damage

10253386664_9acaf533cb.jpg

Some MORE damage...

10253480096_a9131fd3fa.jpg

And HERE they are!

Thanks for all of your help so far! My son has suggested that we destroy the whole pirogue due to the fact that he is good at smashing things... I think I need to get this fixed quicker than I thought! :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I'd suggest repairing your existing boat, and add bracing to ensure strength. Give it to the kids - they can carry the extra weight and be OK.
Geezers can't. Geezers deserve a brand new boat.
(Check my philosophy - when you find an error - you let me know. :wink: )

CadillacSlm

Oct 11, 2013
In two days, we will have the rail removed. And I will probably think of something else to do to the boat in the mean time. It seems like the perfect time to modify... Tumblehome sides? Fishing rod storage? I'm open to suggestions :)
Kayak Jack, when you say bracing, do you mean across the boat? I was under the impression the ribs took care of the need for bracing.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I meant an inwhale with triangles glued in between it and the gunnel. Using a thin board (3/8" - 1/2" thick) about 1 1/2" - 2" wide, mark off a series of 45-45-90 degree triangles. This is a zig zag row of 45 degree lines down the board.

Cut those out, smooth them up nicely, and glue them to inside of the gunnel your repaired. I have mine about 2" apart center to center. Alternate them pointing up then next one down, just as they lay on the original board. Glue the inwhale to these. It will stiffen up the gunnel, and add a LOT of strength. It also adds a series of tie down points for cargo, and the boat still drains well when rolled up on its side.

NOTE: the inwhale will not be a straight board; it will be a curve. I used 1/8" plywood as it is flexible. Clamp it along the repaired gunnel and mark it. If you don't have pieces long enough to do it in one piece, don't have a joint in the middle of the boat. That's where the most stress is. Have joints out near the ends, and overlay the joint with a 6" piece of plywood as a scab patch for strength. One piece looks better, but a reinforced joint is just as strong - only a bit heavier.

CadillacSlm

Oct 11, 2013
Is there a benefit of using triangles over squares? I believe I have seen what you are talking about but I think I have seen squares. Maybe to cut down on weight? Seems like I could get away with a thinner outwale with the bracing and the inwale.

I think I may replace both sides to keep it the same. Thanks again for the input! I will update when we have started.

CadillacSlm

Oct 11, 2013
Ok, here goes nothing! We have started the transformation! Everyone wanted to help out.

On the operating table

Helps to have an extra set of hands

The extra hands got a little distracted...

Most of the rail is removed. The rest I think I will remove with a planer.

Doesn't look like the termites made it past the rail into the plywood. I will check more on Monday.