Thanksgiving Cooking.... | SouthernPaddler.com

Thanksgiving Cooking....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Since I'm on the disabled list, were going to my future daughter-in-laws for T-Day dinner. My son is frying a turkey or two I'm to bring a couple of goodies. I taught him how to fry and now after about 25 turkey frying years the torch is passed to him.

Deep Fried Turkey
1 whole turkey (maximum 14 pounds)
1 thawed turkey (maximum 14 pounds)
Injectable flavored marinade
Dry rub (any flavor)
# Be sure the turkey is completely thawed and free of excess water. Inject it with the marinade then cover the outside of the turkey with your favorite dry rub.

# Fill turkey fryer pot with oil to the oil line. Bring oil to 400°F.*

# Place turkey horizontally, breast up, in basket. Wearing a long barbecue mitt, slowly lower the basket with the turkey into the oil. Cook for 3 minutes per pound then add 5 minutes to the total cooking time. (Example: A 14-pound turkey should cook for 47 minutes.) Turkey may float before cooking time is complete, but continue cooking for total amount of calculated time.

# When turkey is done, turn off the appliance. Slowly and carefully remove the basket, attaching hook to basket handle. Allow the turkey to drain and cool.

That's one way....I do mine at about 360 and 3 1/2 minutes a pound. Internal thigh temp should approach about 170.
I do breast as well and they take 8 minutes a pound at about 360. I have no idea why just a breast takes longer?

CHIPPED BEEF AND HORSERADISH ROLL
* 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
* 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
* 1 tablespoon horseradish
* 4.5-ounce jar dried beef
Mix cream cheese, horseradish and mustard until well blended. Form into a 1 or 2 logs and wrap in wax paper. Chill until firm.
Chop dried beef fine in a food processor.
Saute beef in 2 tablespoons of butter until frizzled.
Roll cheese logs in dried beef and press so it coats the cheese.
Return to refrigerator until ready to serve.
Serve with crackers.

CORN PUDDING
* 1 can whole corn (drained)
* 1 can creamed corn
* 3 eggs, beaten
* 1 cup milk
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons flour
* Dash of nutmeg
* Dash of salt

Mix all ingredients together and place in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart baking dish. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Drizzle butter over corn. Bake at 300 degrees for about 1 hour.

My favorite when we bake turkey....
Oyster Dressing
* 1 cup butter or margarine
* 1 cup minced onion
* 1 pint small oysters, drained and chopped
* 1 tablespoon crumbled poultry seasoning
* 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1/4 cup chopped parsley
* 3/4 cup finely chopped celery with leaves
* 10 to 12 cups soft-stale bread crumbs
* 2 eggs, beaten
Melt butter in skillet; add onion and celery; cook for 5 minutes; add oysters, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, and parsley and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and beaten eggs.
Makes about 10 cups as stuffing for turkey.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
I fried up two 18 pounders 3 weeks ago for a neighborhood block party, doing another 18 pounder this weekend at a pre-Thanksgiving camping trip, then another smaller one next week for the immediate family.

I use 350°F at 3.5 minutes a pound.

Will add a tip or two.

Remove the bags with the gibblets & neck and then check to make sure you got them all ( i have found extra bags of gibblets tucked inside). Also remove anything plastic, ie. pop-up cooked indicators, rigging holding the legs together.

Before injecting, place the turkey in the basket (or on the rack depending on your set up, I use the rack) then place into your frying pot. Fill with water till it just barely covers the turkey. Remove the basket & turkey, get a stick and measure from top of pot to the water level. This will let you know how much oil to start with. I usually go with about 1" less to allow for heat expansion of the oil. You dont want to guess and have all that hot oil over flowing the pot when you are lowering the turkey in.

TURN OFF THE FLAME WHEN ADDING THE TURKEY!!!!

DM
mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Dad always had to have that Oyster dressing with his "T" Day bird. Mom ( Bless her) always made some normal dressing on the side for me. :D She also enjoyed the Oyster dressing , plus they would have a side dish of fried oysters to go with it. Two pints of oysters , one in the dressing and one fried on the side. :|

Chuck.
Believe it or not , I would manage to choke down 2 or 3 of the fried ones. Especially if I wanted some of that pecan pie. :lol: