The Bacon Explosion Returns | SouthernPaddler.com

The Bacon Explosion Returns

islandpiper

Built the Bacon Explosion tonight. Here's the story.

First, fry up a good gob of thick bacon, crispy.
DSCF0020.jpg

While that frys, weave your other bacon, I used 6 x 5 here.
DSCF0021-1.jpg

Season it well with what ever spices and rubs you like. This has some soul seasoning and some of our home made rib rub.
Then spread the two pounds of Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage on it.

DSCF0022.jpg

Add the fried bacon, crunched up a little.
DSCF0023.jpg

And then more soul and rib rub and some good gobs of your favorite BBQ sauce.
DSCF0024.jpg

And roll it up, just the sausage, trying to seal it in if possible.
DSCF0025.jpg

Then, roll it back, this time with the bacon, and sort of seal it up, knitting the ends if you can, and Plastic Wrap for a sleep in the fridge.
DSCF0026.jpg

On Saturday, we'll put this on the smoker with some pecan wood and let it go for a couple hours, till it is 165 degrees inside, and then pull it out for a good coat of BBQ sauce and back in to set the sauce for a while.

I'll be the one fighting off the pioneers who want to be first to sample this.

piper

islandpiper

If you cook it in the smoker the fat will all drain off anyway, leaving it dry like a pork roast.

I've made them several times and never had a greasy one. If you bake it in a pan then it very well might be greasy.

Have fun with it. I've always wanted to see if they are good the next day, like for breakfast, but i've never had one last on the plate for more than 5 minutes or so. Thus, NO LEFTOVERS.

piper

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
islandpiper said:
Bear's Buddy: you actually got some? You are ahead of me, I was looking the other way and it disappeared. piper
There were some small fragments left when I managed to get through the mob at the table. :mrgreen:

islandpiper

OK, next year, God willing, we'll make SEVERAL bacon explosions. Really no more work to make 2-3 than it is to make one.

In retrospect, i have begun to wonder just WHERE all that went.......hmmm......haven't heard from Jdupre' yet. I wonder if there's a picture of his plate any where. Or Wannabe......

I might better make it once or twice, "just to keep in practice" sometime before the next Rendezvous.

piper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
I was only involved in quality control - you know the testing to be sure it was OK before letting anyone else have any, lest they get sick from some horrible malady

it's an awesome burden to have to taste the first piece

that's my story and i'm sticking to it