the BS challange.... | SouthernPaddler.com

the BS challange....

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Tennessee Jed and I were out hunting loons. We'd gotten tiered of deer track soup and turkey feather dressing, so we wanted some loon parmigiana.

Well, we found lots of sea gulls, some penguins, and a whole raft of pelicans. We opened up with our twicet barrel carabines and downed almost all of'em. But - the gulls were getting away!

Being out of ammo, I picked up a handful of Indian love stones, handed some to Jed, and told him, ".........

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Piper, between Mad Jack, Bearridge, and yourself............I think the majority of SouthernPaddlers will plead, NO CONTEST! I think most manure spreaders would plead the same! :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I was cooking in a logging camp one year, '78 I think it was. Paul Bunyan had the bugler blowing reveille every morning, but that bugle was so cold, the notes just froze up in it.

The pancake griddle was so big, that to grease it I tied a half a hog on each foot and skated for ten, maybe fifteen minutes around that big pan to get it all slathered up and ready for the first batch.

I was skating one spring morning when that damned bugle thawed out in the morning sun. It began to playand play, and music came out of it all day long. Fellas danced and sang and smoked and a few told tall tales, but I didn't believe none of'em.

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
There used to be soooo many terns that when there was a mayfly hatch that they ate them all. The trout were starving so the trout unlimited people told every fisherperson to stone the terns! The actual quote was to " Leave No Tern Unstoned!!!" and it was so.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A friend of my Grandad's was a farmer in the Ozarks. One year, Grandpa went down to visit him. It was about harvest time so he helped out.

So many hills there, they planted the potatoes in rows up and down the slope. Just dig a hole at the bottom of the row, and get your bucket ready. All the potatoes would come tumbling right down the row into the pail.

The fellow had corn planted too. It was so steep the pigs couldn't get uphill to eat any. And, if they tried coming at it from the top, they just skidded right on by. So Grandpa just tied them one at a time to a stick, and held them up so they could graze the side hill.

Grandpa, being a strong, Michigan farmer, worked harder than those hill billies, and ended up breaking a shovel handle. His friend said, "No problem, George. Just fell that shag bark hickery over yonder, and let it roll down hill. Purty quick, it'll roll back up hill, then down again, etc.. When it wears itself down to about the size you want, just reach over and pick it up."

From the book "We Always Lie to Strangers: Tales of the Ozarks"

My other Grandpa used to hook up a bear to the plow for field work.

If none of you guys ever knew any old German farmers, you missed out on one of the best educations in Life. It was easy to distinguish them from other farmers. Saying was, "You can always tell a German farmer - but you can never tell him much."

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
A drunken Eskimo was wondering around the beach and saw all of the terns sitting on eggs. The terns were doing nothing but sitting... The Eskimo (being a nice guy) realized the terns, in his drunken state, were bored to tears. So being the nice guy he was, began to pour whiskey down the poor birds throuts... his goal... to leave no Tern unstoned!