The Great S.P. Rendezvous 2009 | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

The Great S.P. Rendezvous 2009

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Baldy,

I got a dollar sez the game come frum log rollers. After a hard day jackin' lumber, them boys likely ended up in the water, each standin' on a log. They likely come up with the game usin' one of them long sticks they used ta hook a log 'n make it do right on the river on the way ta the sawmill. I figger each fella grabbed a end of the stick 'n begun ta push 'n pull ta make the other one fall.

piper jest made a half log....flat on the topside (makes it eazier fer a geezer ta stay on it), then each one grabs holt of an end of the rope 'n begins ta see if he kin make the other fella fall off the "homemade log".

regards
bearridge

ps The tequila version of the game dont have a name yet.

Esplanade (v.), to attempt an explanation while drunk.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
To Diane and Piper San -THANKS for organizing, setting up, and carrying out the second Anal Paddlers Rendezvous. Tough act to follow. (Held yearly, this has become an anal event.)

What a pleasure to meet old friends, make new ones, and regale them all with true stories of the outback. I went hungry for lack of food. I must remember to register a complaint.

I have two criteria for selecting paddling partners: #1 "can I trust him with my Life?" and #2 "is he good to get along with?" Both are killer criteria, and if someone can't pass both of them, I no longer paddle with them. I find that folks who engage in human-powered sports, stuff with no engines or motors, are totally different than those in powered sports. They are more tolerant of people and more sociable. Also, they tend to exaggerate a bit more when telling tales. When beer and good food is present, the exaggeration tendency becomes a bit more pronounced. Fortunately, over two hundred years ago, Cap'n Meriwether taught me to tell the truth and I have ever since.

There were enough bows, guns, knives, and a stray blow gun there to stand off the Mexican army. I figure the blow gun alone would stand off the french army.

Piper San's sneak attack with his bag pipe during my noontime practice nap, was an inexcusable broach of manners. At least, though, he did have on his pants instead of the cute, little woolen skirt he often sports about in.

It was good to meet my twin brother, Br'r Bear. Lucky guy, looks a lot like me. Nice to talk with him too.

Seedtick and Keith Felder are a couple favorites of mine, as is Joey Dupre'. Danged web-footed folks are growing on me. Piper San, Lady Diane, and Princess Christine have been special favorites for a while now. All the folks there are a special crew.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Just talked to Sheena's Dad.
He said to tell everyone hi and that he had a great time at Pipers. Kinda filled him in on the trip reports.
Chuck,
Steve said to tell you that tents have zippers, ya don't have to go cutting it up to get out. :D
Steve will be leaving for Idaho Tues. morning and will get there thrs afternoon. He said with a little luck he should be back on the Forun Friday
Bob

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

I have been waiting on this report. Thank you all for taking the time to share and for the piccies. I sort of feel like I was there.

Very glad you all had a great time and I am just bloody green with envy. :D I have many questions but for now will make do with just two :p

Talk to me about that bacon explosion. Chuck, we need a smiley for drooling here mate.

Piper, more information on your barbeque please. did you use it to do the smoking as well?

Piccies of the internals would be very nice - please.

islandpiper

Mick, look at the bacon explosion here:

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

Yes, that BBQ is called an OFF-SET FIREBOX SMOKER here....i do all my smoking on it. The pulled pork went five hours on it, then seven hours , foil wrapped, in the oven. I would have done it for the full 12 in the smoker, but it was a work night.

Sure , i'll send some pics directly to you. Lots of guys here make their own smokers out of old bottled gas cylinders or pressure tanks, or refrigerators or steel tool boxes or large electrical cabinets.

Bob, are you using photobucket? are you copying the proper drop down line? Then just paste it. Call me.

piper

islandpiper

I knew that there was a time difference between here and Australia, and we all know that there can be a little delay when making calls long distance, but I didn't know it was THIS BIG A DEAL. My phone rang last evening about 8:30, and there was DWallace calling. Diane answered the phone and then handed it to me....."I think its some Australian" she said. Well, she was right. Here was DWallace, calling to say hello to everyone on March 28, and the call just got here last night!! He was disappointed to learn that he'd missed the gig by a couple of weeks, but very understanding when I explained that the Federal Gov't has been helping the phone company to be more efficient, and that we have all switched over to refurbished electrons to keep costs down.

We had a nice chat, would have been better at the Pub, but till he can get here for a Rendezvous, I guess the phone will have to do.

Anyway, THANKS FOR CALLING David!! Fun talking with you. Take care of your back and BE NICE TO THE DOCTORS!!

piper

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
Wannabe said:
Just talked to Sheena's Dad.
He said to tell everyone hi and that he had a great time at Pipers. Kinda filled him in on the trip reports.
Chuck,
Steve said to tell you that tents have zippers, ya don't have to go cutting it up to get out. :D
Steve will be leaving for Idaho Tues. morning and will get there thrs afternoon. He said with a little luck he should be back on the Forun Friday
Bob

It'll be good to have Steve back here. 8)

Mike

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Yes, that BBQ is called an OFF-SET FIREBOX SMOKER here....i do all my smoking on it. The pulled pork went five hours on it, then seven hours , foil wrapped, in the oven. I would have done it for the full 12 in the smoker, but it was a work night.

Ahh, Thaks mate, A hot smoker! outstanding :D similar in principle to what we would call a kipperer.

Been planning on building something a little like that for a few years now. Trouble is, I drink waaaaaay too much beer while waiting for it to cook :D

Another thing I have been wanting to throw together is an outside, wood fired pizza oven. Sort of an igloo shaped fire box. Same problem with that too. :D

Thanks for the link mate, when I get my smoker done will definately be doing one of those. Will probably call in to the scrap metal yard next week to look doe some 2' pipe and other bits and pieces. 8) Ooooh, I haven't played in my metal shop for ages. 8)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Everything is put up from the trip , the items are cleaned and ready for another one , heck ... even got my glasses repaired so they are not twisted anymore. Ron conjures up a good storm.

I was sure I saw way to much food at the party so I have a eye check set for Friday but thinking about sampling all of it I'm sure there was that much and then the realization hit me , I missed some of the sausages that cooked with the crawdads , Dang It. That mistake will never happen again , No Sir , That's for sure , those sausages will be attacked. :D

It was a pleasure meeting all the good folks and being able to relax in company that enjoys all of our common interests ... eating , hunting , fishing , camping , paddling , eating , napping , eating and BSing. As Bear said , a fine bunch of guys and ladies and a privilege for this misplaced cracker to meet and know everyone.

One thing I need to set straight ... Piper......

I don't care what Ron told you.... The truth is .....................................
Ron did get everything that you packed for him , every last morsel of it. Well , I did deliver it to Sondra and Ron was not there so lets say the package's made it to his house unopened and was unwrapped in there kitchen. If Ron did get some or none , I have no idea. :lol: By the way , everything was still frozen , everything was well insulated.

Chuck.