The Larkspur "stretched" | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

The Larkspur "stretched"

Biloxi Bacon

Jun 11, 2006
Beautiful finished boat! I enjoyed reading thru the thread.

I'm new to the details of stitch and glue building and when I saw the tie wraps used to hold the panels together, I thought that has to be the ticket. Are they taking the place of twisted wire on most projects?

From my aviating days, I already have safety wire pliers and most of a roll of stainless wire. But, without a doubt, I'll be using tie wraps everywhere I can...when I finally build build.

Joe

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joe,

Don't - repeat DO NOT - use any of that 0.032" stainless steel safety wire on soft plywood. It's way too strong. (You can send me all of it you have, that will ease your conscience. (Retired aircraft maintenance officer))

I use wire rather than tie-tapes. El-cheapo stove pipe wire works well. (Oh, send along those safety wire pliers too. I looked all over hell's half acre and three fourths of Georgia for some. Civilians aren't authorized such teknikal hardware.) ;-}}

You can tear right through Okoume mahogany plywood with wire if you horse it. Or, you can use common sense and not. I tore through a few.

Biloxi Bacon

Jun 11, 2006
Kayak Jack said:
Don't - repeat DO NOT - use any of that 0.032" stainless steel safety wire on soft plywood.

WILCO. Just in thinking thru the process, I imagined it'd be easy to tear thru the plywood no matter what you used.

Couldn't find them pliers? Locally, I guess they could be kinda rare. But, I was in a pawn shop a while back and there was a set of 3 sizes of Snap-on pliers in a fancy wood velvet lined box of dovetail construction.

Mine are "no-name" cheapies I bought out of a Trade-A-Plane ad a hun'erd years ago. No spring return. But, they got the job done.

They're out there and at a reasonable price if you had a need and wanted to order 'em in. CLICK

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Biloxi,
The wire ties are for sure the easy way to go. The hull went together in less than 3 hours and didn't take very much adjusting at all. Next S&G build I do I will probably go with copper wire just for the sake of being able to use smaller holes. But then again, the zip ties were awfull easy! :shock: LOL.
Either way, have fun!!