The perfect time to go camping , Florida/Southern style. | SouthernPaddler.com

The perfect time to go camping , Florida/Southern style.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Fall has hit us but no one would it now since they are in the AC all day.

The evenings show it with the temperatures lowering , scattered rains , Bats flying in the sunset and all the bugs singing there songs as darkness arrives. What a serenade they can offer the camper , something that has no measure to it since it is so great. People pay for the recording of these sounds but nothing is like the real McCoy.

The perfect time to go camping on some river , set up a tarp the way we do with all the sides at the same height to catch any breeze from the four corners of this earth.

In the middle of it set up a cot or bed roll and while enjoying the sunset , a good meal and a drink then hit the sack in the fresh air while dreaming of other places to camp. Roll over and see the last embers of the fire glowing and with any luck the smoke from the fire will be the perfume you can get a whiff of during the night. No need for a 0 degree bag just a light blanket will do the trick. There is nothing better then that.

The whiff of wood smoke from a dieing fire at night lets me know I am camping and all of life's problems , worries and cares are miles away while being nice and snug in the blanket.

Get up in the morning when the suns rays peak in under the tarp and wake you , with most of the dew on the tarp and a little on you. A fresh new world of relaxation has arrived.

Rekindle the fire , fix breakfast and either stay where you are and just do nothing or move on down river. Or do both but why hurry , no need in doing that , you do that everyday back in the world of nut's.

It is called the layed back life life style and sure will recharge you.

Chuck.
PS. As you can guess I have been sitting outside till Pup's and the wife made me come inside , something they can't do when I am camping. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK... Before you ask...

From my last post I can hear the wheels turning and all of the thoughts going on.

YES... I camp at times with a tarp and a cot , it is a folding one and takes about the same space in the boat as my folding camp chair. YES.. I do have to rig a tarp over it in case it rains.

Unlike the tents I have it gives me plenty of ventilation and when the river level needs raising it is a simple matter to help the river , no zippers or nothing to undo during the night to help the river.

YES .. I have several hammocks that are just as nice if not better but again it is the season and where I am camping that determines what I will be using , no one item will offer the comfort that several items will depending on the season.

I even have a cot that is actually a tent , that is for established campgrounds since it will not fit in any of my boats for river trips.

I do a lot of camping in different areas and do enjoy my comfort. :D

Chuck.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey Chuck man you must be farther north than I thought you was . Around here it isn,t that (cold ) yet . :) I believe a thin sheet would be too much yet around here .