The pullout at St Mary | SouthernPaddler.com

The pullout at St Mary

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
The last morning was beautiful. Breakfast was shared by all. Allen Nutra Bars were welcomed by many and very tasty. Coffee was drank in large amounts. Chuck had gotten up us to where only a few hours of paddling would put us on the take out shores. He had done a wonderful job of getting this group up the river each day on schedule. The river on this section was almost twice what had been told to him. It a fact that had the current had been as fast as it was, we have had to stay another night on the river. His GPS has a map of the river in it and you could find him checking positions during any time of the day. He can tell ya about the brand name of it and all the details of that GPS.

After launching, we paddled about an hour and a half and pulled over on a sand bar to have a small snack and stretch our legs. We pulling our gear out in less than an hour so this was for me a very special stop.
st%20mary%2010.jpg

Looking up and down the river I looked back at the past four days on this water. Like last Decembers trip, I was missing the trip already. But good trips are like that. You have experiences along the way. Each person has traveled the watery line and came out better than had entered. There were new ideas that came up. Gear would be assessed over and over, thoughts on new gear would be investigated. Some of the old ways were again satisfying to know they worked. Men would be thought of as partners of the river and its ways. I was glad that I retired early to be able to witness this and become part of this group. I realized that many couldn't just drop what they are doing and pile up gear into a truck or car or van and head out to Lord knows where with people they haven't ever met. But one day they will. And they too will have a chit eating grin on their faces as I do now.

The take out was just around the bend. A railroad bridge over the St. Mary gives the signal that the “hillâ€Â