the strip Toto | SouthernPaddler.com

the strip Toto

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
Always liked the looks of Jim Michalak's Toto, but wanted it in strip built rather than ply, so strip stitch and glue and here we are.

making the panels
assembling panels

Transom reinforced in case I want to add trolling motor

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
Then the fun of fill coats and sanding,and sanding, then the clear coats and yet more wet sanding :) but its done. now the question is how does she perform :?: stay tuned.

Almost forgot, weight 36.8 lbs

shikeswithcanoe

Feb 4, 2010
Yeah, me too! :(

These guys are startin to make me mad. All these beautiful boats. And I think they get them done in just a weekend (two tops).

Me, on the other hand, will take a year to make something that looks like it was made by a half blind drunk monkey with a very limited budget...

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
Well after paddling for a while 1st impression isn't to good, wants to go her own way and dosn't glide,. Got to paddle someone elses Toto at the Texas boatbuiders roundup this weekend past, this had the skeg I'd ommited, guess what Iv'e added since.

MM

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
makenmend said:
Well after paddling for a while 1st impression isn't to good, wants to go her own way and dosn't glide,. Got to paddle someone elses Toto at the Texas boatbuiders roundup this weekend past, this had the skeg I'd ommited, guess what Iv'e added since.

MM

I have been there and done that. Thanks for sharing that information. You could have said it turns well and stops easily. Lucky for you the skeg will correct the tracking issue. What design features of the boat do you think contribute to the problem?
I'm with Jack the boat does look nice.

beekeeper