The Thermette kettle and cooking stove. | SouthernPaddler.com

The Thermette kettle and cooking stove.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Here is an interesting camping stove that John Depa found and told me about. The Thermette kettle and cooking stove.

"The Thermette was first invented in 1929 by New Zealander John Ashley Hart but became a cultural icon and found its true home and place in New Zealand's history during the Second World War. For New Zealand soldiers fighting the deserts of North Africa the Thermette became a standard and treasured piece of equipment and earned the nickname the `Benghasi Boiler'.

It was originally advertised with the slogan `the more the wind the quicker it boils', indicating its usefulness in bad weather when other stoves might not work. "

Chuck.

http://www.thermette.com/thermette_how-to.htm

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Looks a little like the "hot pot" cookers I saw in Taiwan. Whole thing looked a lot like an angel food cake pan with a witch's hat chimney up the center, and sitting on top of a round firebox. The central firepot, a conical chimney to generate draw, and an annular ring are all one unit.

In the ring/pan around the firne box was water. As it boiled, people could cook various goodies in it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yep....

With a little wood you can boil your water while you cook your meal. Then have your tea or coffee with your meal. Sure beats using a double burner stove or with a single burner doing one thing and then the other.

Plus as you need more wood for the fire then just drop it down the center hole and keep cooking. Quite ingenious I think :D The best of both worlds when camping , No batteries , petroleum products , blowing on the fire to make it hot , burning your fingers when adding wood..... Yep , a good idea. Some of the best ideas have been around for a long time but no one has discovered them...... yet. :roll:

Chuck.

islandpiper

Visiting the Thermette site I notice that they have solid copper units, and some, slightly rusty, lower cost, in tinplate. Anybody have one of the tinplate ones? Still a good investment? Living in the land of endless kindling and occasional but serious power outages I am considering on of these for household water should one of Katrina's sisters pay us a visit this year.

Thanks for any info.

Cheers, Piper