The TUCK - Diary of a Geezer | SouthernPaddler.com

The TUCK - Diary of a Geezer

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
The Tuckaseigee River (Tuck) is advertised as a "warm" and meandering river. That is one old advertisement! A couple years ago the dam started to feed into the Tuck and everything has changed. No longer a quiet , slow moving stream to take an inner tube on. It has class II & III rapids that will flip an inner tube in a heart beat.
Bill's memory of it had to been before the dam releases began.
The put in is located along US74 near Dillsboro. A public place where you can park your vehicles and leave them or have someone drive west on US 74 and park them at the takeout. The take out's name evades me but Bro Bar can pass that on to ya.
Bro Bar had brought "Yahoos", or sit on , plastic kayaks with "self-draining" decks. That means that there are holes in the bottom of the things.

Here Bill, Joe and Jim are reading to leave:
Bill-Joe%20and%20Yak%20ready%20for%20travel%20on%20the%20Tuck%202005.jpg

I have never been in one, that day was the first. My rear end was introduced to the chilly Tuck's waters when I cast off from shore. The flow was heavy, I could not get an eddy to sit in and wait for the other three , Bill, Jim and Joe, to catch up. I ran a small set of rapids and got used to the kayak paddle that I was using.
Swampy%20getting%20used%20to%20the%20Yahoo%20on%20the%20Tuck.jpg

I eddied out and lit a cig , while holding onto a branch from a sunken tree on the river left. The small rapids had some water to fall over into and on me. Cool.
Here they come. : Here comes Yak.
002_02_3.jpg

Now Bill gets in.
003_03_4.jpg

Joe is "chilling" :
004_04_4.jpg

We gathered up and Bill took us to the next set of rapids. There were some nice foamy curlers to "play" in. But Bill wanted us ( mainly Joe and I) to learn how to catch an eddie, ferrie stroke, and surf up river in the foam. It is amasing to look up river and keep the "nose" of the craft up river as well. It seems to be like floating on air. :

Here Bill is surffing and so am I.
005_05_4.jpg

And here comes Yak!
006_06_2.jpg

But after a small game of follow the leader, Bill turned us down river. There were some heavier waves ahead. We picked out the foamiest routes I believe. But I was beginning to "understand" the rapids a lot more. Shortly though , Yak wanted to do one of those "exit the eddie" turns. It's an 180 degree turn from where you are surfing upstream and you want to catch the down river flow ( which is very fast) and with a high brace , your craft will whip around and head down stream.... Yak's whip allowed water into his Yahoo and he very gentlemanly slipped outof the Yahoo. He stood up! :
008_08_1.jpg

But went down quickly. It is not safe to stand in any kind of W W. He got back into his Yahoo and with some explaining to us and our own laughter we went on down stream in a jolly mood.

That was where the waters became un-tamed. Sets of rapids that had white water brewing all abouts. Haystacks loomed at each point and the picking of a "good" path was getting hard or near non-exsistant. No longer small stones that created riffs, but huge rocks caused the waters to shoot upwards and out wards. Splashings, foamings, curse words filled the air. Mine among them the loudest.

A small pause here for me to explain why this old fart is doing W W. Long ago I started to dream about wilderness river tripping. I had never been in any sort of Class II or higher rapids. I wanted some experience and this was one way to get it. The Buffalo River in Arkansas was to become my first introduction to it. Bill's memory of it wasn't about the level that we dipped into then. Later we found that had the river's level been up some 4 inches or so that the National Park Rangers would have closed it down for flooding stage. So we had some very high waters there and you all know what went down or swamped out there. BUT! I did get a lot of experience and dared to get more. I wanted to increase my W W experience to gain an insight to the path of the rocks and logs. In short I am not a W W follower. Slow and easy on the learning curve.

Not that way on the Tuck. As soon as you get out of one set of rapids another is hungrily awaiting you. Fast and quick thinking is a must. The water is moving and you will go with it or into it. Either way you still are heading to the next rapids. There are a few places where you can eddied out and regain your composure. There was one opportunity to do so, or rather had to. Yak spilled/blowout in a fierce set.... he hung onto Bill's Yahoo while Joe and I gathered his Yahoo. I flipped it up side down and had to get it back to Yak who was hanging onto Bill's boat still. The river's flow was impossible for me to direct the Yahoo back to Bill... I pushed it off towards Joe and Bill came into the path and gathered it back to Yak who was still in the water and not looking ( to me) very good. That water is still cold.... That is when we hit a Class I rapids and jerked around in them.... then Bill told Jim to get ashore or least he die in the next set coming up strong ( a Class III we think).
Jim swam-kicked and found us all around him at shore. He said he felt Ok and warm. My thoughts were that he was in shock and didn't know just how cold he was. We broke there on shore for a bit and Jim told us that he had lost his wristwatch on that blowout. My mouth was so dry that I could not bring spit into it. No exaggeration here. That was an episode that got me tired out completely. The river changed its face for me after that. : Yak and us along shore getting a breather:
013_13_2.jpg

Bro Bar had been saying that there were a "few" rough places yet to go. So we headed out. After several class III or a IV in there some wheres, I wondered how many more of the Maryland Farmers there were left. "Three," came the answer. That was while ashore once again when one of my fingers cramped up next to the palm of my hand. It was locked there. I couldn't hold a paddle ... nothing.... finally it started to get feelings back into it. Another cig and we pushed off from there. The river was going to teach me that it ruled out here and that my play time was to turn to survival. The feeling that this monster was going to throw me into it was a deep setted challenge for me. Wet anyways, I didn't want to leave my boat for nothing. It was then me and the Tuck. I have reverence for it but I didn't want to kiss its rear. There were more heavy rapids. There were more crashings of water and rocks. I was flipping and sliding, the paddle would be made to brace-dig in-turn-push what ever it took to stay afloat. Water crashed over my head. Sometimes the haystacks poured into the boat and swamping was next to follow. But self draining holes do keep you afloat longer.
Looking back that evening I owed up that there was two times that the good Lord kept me from goin over. It was 50-50 in each event. I was awarded to stay dry ( not flip over) from some frantic paddling. I had learned a lot.
"If I can see a road or path up that friggin shore to the highway, I'm gone!" I said to Jim. This isn't fun anymore... it's survival. And in all honesty, at that time and place on the river it was. Bill told me that the take out was just beyond the next one or two bends in the river. I pushed myself and Yahoo to the next bend. There across the whole river was white water... the river narrowed into a small channel.... Tuck's last farewell to Swampy. I noticed a man standing at the shore watching us come through... I was tossed, bounced, plunged, paddling like a freak and after all said and done, I floated by the guy and said, "Well at least I didn't get my hat wet!" Small chuckle from him as I headed to the next bend.... around it I found the highway bridge that crossed the river at the take out. I headed river right and was right next to the bank. I wasn't going to miss this take out ... no way jose...
Just before the take out I took picture of Jim and Bill. Joe had already gone on ahead and was getting out.
015_15_2.jpg

Even the take out was a challenge. A large steel pipe ran along the shore and you have to get over it ( it was under water a couple of inches.). Joe helped me get out, or was it Bar ... maybe Jimmy... I really don't know... I was that tired. I really kissed the rocks at the take out....
At camp Bill and I found that we had sunburn on our calfs. I had real pain in my lower legs also.
Debriefing myself, I have come to realize that W W comes in many packages. No one river is the same the next day. What can start as fun can become survival. My thoughts on running wild rivers hasn't changed. But my experience now has shown me to make intelligent decisions and with safety always in the forefront. Self evaluation is a must at each rapids. Get out and look at what's in front of you, regardless if anyone else wants to go ahead and run it. The Tuck was , at that time, bigger than the Buffalo. It had a mean streak in it. But after resting for a few days, I can say I'd do it again with Bill and Jim at any time. Joe too. I feel ten feet tall and humble now. To sore the next morning to float the Natahala River. Didn't sleep at all that night... so when the guys who did run it left, I hung up my Hennessey and had a good two hour snooze....

swampy

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Jack, I'm not sure where I rank in those men's group.

All in all, I had fun,excitement, a lesson in white water, deeper trust in my paddling buddies, and respect for the wild rivers.
The river can show itself in different moods. That's not news.... but the seeing part of it for yourself is.

I want to go back and do it in a canoe. But in warmer weather... :lol:
And with these guys.
swampy
ps No one squelded like a pig on this trip... more like yelling and screaming at the river. :p

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Kayak Jack said:
The other guy was so appalled that he committed suicide be going over the edge of the boat.
Truthful Jack,

I bet that wuz what happened ta oldyaker too? Ya seen how Swampy wuz dressed? Ya seen how he picked out a pink Yahoo?

I wonder how that Deliverance expedishun woulda turned out if Swampy had been along? I bet those boys never heard nobody talkin' in tongues with the Great Spirit, but it aint like Swampy iz a orakle 'er nuthin'. He iz still jest a reglar geezer. Well....almost.

regards,

bearridge
chattooga river '06 geezermania

I jest want to see one more place that aint settled before I take up the rocking chair. Gus McCrae

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Joey, You look like a young kid in that PINK boat, hat on backwards, shades, catch'n a wave, yes sir, all swave and deboner!!! When some strangers require something, yes by gum, I think you'll do fine... :lol:

I look like I just came from a river baptism! Kinda think about it, I did! :roll:

BTW, Great Job on the report! A Geezer high five to ya!!! :D

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
25 years ago I ran whitewater in a plastic kayak from a new company called Perception... my kayak was a dancer. I loved it , even learnwed to roll the kayak over the winter at a Highschool pool during the winter. I learned here in Indiana and graduated at the Nantahala then went to the Cheat, the New, Ocoie and Gauley. I loved it, but after too many shoulder injuries, an almost bad pin, and too many miles driven to whitewater.... I gave it up. It is a rush and I would not change a thing, but I really like nice calm rivers now that don't hurt so much and that I have time to look at the scenery and listen to the quiet.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Bullhead said:
... I loved it, but after too many shoulder injuries, ...
Geezers oughta use a check rein to keep the elbow BELOW the shoulder to minimize dislocated shoulders. They'd a heard Swampus Dislocatus clear up inta the Foggy Bottom Basin had he ever ripped a shoulder loose.

Smearin gree-itz on as a poultice won't hack it. Geezers'd be standing in line to reset it.

"Here! Twist it over this way. Nope, that didn't work. Try the other way. Nope, that didn't ..."

And so it goes.

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
Ha!, doing a hot eddy turn in fast water there is no way to keep your elbows low.... that is unless you lean WAAAAAYYYYYY over...LOL.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Bull, if you were to ask Yak about his elbows, I believe you'd hear him tell that his never went high... he was "suprised" when he tried an eddy in small water. The flow on the Tuck ( and I ain't no pro here) had to have been over 6 mph ....?

It was strong.
Yak went over before you knew it.

The "rush" is there and I can see why some look for it.

The types of small palstic boats are growing. As Bro Bar has pointed out, canoes are on a down ward spirrle, and creek boats and squirts are increasingly going upward in demand.

The rivers that are using power company waters have been lobbing for more water release. And it seems they are getting it now. Some of this is coming out in the graphs that are being used at rivers. They are showing increases of flow ( cfs). These outfitters are raking in the monies. Who is losing? Some say the fishermen and canoests are.

I took some pictures of the Tuck on the following Tuesday when leaving the area to go home. We were told on Sunday after the run, that the power company was to turn off their flows. Gauges showed that. Pictures on the rough places show it also.

Here a log is visible on low volumes, where two days earlier it was a ledge.
Natahala%20spring%20break%2029.jpg

I'd like to go back with a daily guage reading and film the rapids and how they are effected by the flows. A six inch drop ( or increase) makes for a completely different river.

Yak had run the Gaully.... Bill, has run the Natahala for over 20 years... they both saud that the rivers are getting "heavier" .....
Deep Throat: "Follow the money."

swampy

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Bullhead,

Looks like we jest missed each other on the Nanny. I went over 'n tried the Ocoee ever which way, raft, Ducky 'n open boat. We put our own rafts in jest below that Grumpy rapid below the dam, but nobody knew the lines. We only had one fella fall out.

I did okay on a couple a runs in a Ducky, but there iz one rapid with big waves comin' frum different angles. They knocked me outta the Ducky both trips, but I come back down on it both times.

I wuz by myownself one time in the canoe. I lost the kayakers I wuz followin' jest above Gonzo Shoals. I blew out twice there cuz I kept lookin' downriver ta see what wuz comin' up next....instead a watchin' where I wuz.

A fella in a kayak come over 'n asked if I wuz in my rite mind. I asked how ta cheat whatever wuz bout ta come up. He shook hiz head 'n sez "head over yonder 'n pray". I done some of my best paddlin' ever jest ta git out.

I never been back.....but I drive by it twice a year 'n git a longin' in my heart. Good thing my head kin put a veto over my heart. :mrgreen:

respectfully,

bearridge
wore out ole whitewater geezer

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. Hunter S. Thompson

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Swampy
It looks to me like any NORMAL thinking person would have run the River , Left , side of that and not down the center ...(looking at your picture) .... But who ever said this group was normal and silly me I forgot Bear was with you....... ( There aren't any nasty rapids in this river )........:lol: :lol: :lol:

"O" as I recall there was one normal person with you and he had all of the car / truck keys in his pocket while enjoying life safe and sound on dry the ground where you guy's would be pulling out.

Chuck.
Patting myself on the back, OUCH .... Charlie hoarse, mussel cramps, cough, ouch, ouch, don't wory I will never tell who that person is....... snicker , snicker.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
#1) I think this was one of those ledges that wasn't seen untill your right up on it. ( there were a couple like that) and I elected to do what i could do.... and that was to hit it right on.
The current was tremedous. No way to paddle over to the lesser froath. I was already commited wether i want to or not. Note the large hole in the "after" picture. About a 2 foot drop. Lots of haystaks there ( where slower water meets faster water) . The curler fills the craft and there may be a "bump" to handle also. Ledges can't be seen in some cases ( I have yet to id them all) and are a surprise when encountered. Yes, they may be heard .... but a rapids behind you may mask what lies before you.

#2)
007_07_4.jpg
Here Yak is playing in front of a small ledge. Note if facing down river from a point upriver just how this ledge looks. Sliding off the edge was done here. Nothing fancy, and had good control to move the boat abouts. That is strong flow Yak is pushing against. Like I said before there is playing in the foam. Had there been any haystacks located there , then there wouldn't be any playing around.

And yer right Chuck! Never take any thing important into the trip waters. Secure everything... water tight.

swampy