The World has gone Crazy on prices. | SouthernPaddler.com

The World has gone Crazy on prices.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Try replacing a galvanized chain link gate.
I went to the local fence and gate outlet and priced the gates there. Don't you know it , the gate I have had for 43 years is a custom size ( or so I was told ) .
It was already here with the fence when we bought the place.

Well to make a long story short , the fence company wanted between $1,200 and $1,500 dollars to make one for me. $450.00 to install. Plus that did not include the permit ( cost )..YES !!! A lousy Permit from the county to replace a gate that has been there for all those years. SCREW THAT.
The gate measures 38 inches x 44 inches.
** 4 pieces of pipe , 4 corner pieces
** 2 bars and assorted clips for the chain link in the center
** The actual chain link.
** 2 hinges
** a gate closure latch

On the computer I found a gate kit with everything to match the old gate. Only problem is the kit measurements are 40 x 48. So one hacksaw blade and everything will be the same measurements as the present gate.
I got the kit for $349.87 plus shipping of $128.00 for a total of $477.87...... $27.87 more then what the fence company wanted for the labor to install it.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Just counting on my fingers, you should pay yourself about $2,000 for services rendered. Dividing that by, say, $77 per bottle of single malt, (calculating here $&000* + €_\]000 / &@‘j&¥ X 10) = a LOT of scotch!

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Even modifying the gate yourself, the gate price seems too expensive.

Depending on what's wrong with the gate, you can go to Lowes or Homedepot and buy the parts and put them together yourself for a lot less, I'd bet. Maybe........

But, if you drove the convertible through it a couple of days ago, you just might need all of the parts for a new gate.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ya know, Mike, it just might be that he was celebrating a bit early with some scotch and - as he tried to guide the mower through - that gate stepped a half-pace to the left at just the last second?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The convertible went threw the double gates quite well. Actually I only open one gate for the convertible. It's got a 42 inch cut with a lot wider deck and will not fit threw the little gate.
Ha ,Ha...believe it or not , The double gates were replaced about 2 years ago.by the same fence company and for a lot less , yep double ( each 5 feet ) gates for less , a lot less , go figure.

This one that needs replacing is the gate at the walkway to the back porch from the carport. It has rotted out the bottom of two bars and a half ( the lower left part ) corner section , way beyond any hope of restoration.

Yep , I checked with Lowe's and Home Depot and could not get all the parts from either store. They had some but not all. The kit has everything without any running around and still missing one or two parts.

Not to make Jack sad ( No Scotch in this house ) but that evening I celebrated with a glass of some really good Sour Mash Bourbon and a few ice cubes.