This Little Jerk makes some good Wings........... | SouthernPaddler.com

This Little Jerk makes some good Wings...........

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Todays paper , in the cooking section , has a recipe for Bahama Breeze's Jamaican Jerk Grilled Chicken.

3 cups jerk marinade (see the note at the bottom for it)
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup water
4 tablespoons sliced green onions
5 pounds whole chicken wings
Dry Jerk seasoning as needed.

In a large bowl mix the jerk marinade, garlic , thyme,allspice, water and onions. Add wings. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the frig on the bottom shelf. Marinade chicken 18 to 24 hours before cooking.

Heat the oven to 350. Remove wings from the marinade. Place in a clean bowl. Lightly season with dry jerk seasoning and lay on a sheet pan with the wing tips face down. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or till fully cooked. Remove and place in frig to chill to 40 degrees. (see note)

Heat the gas or charcoal grill to medium heat. Place chilled wings on the grill and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes on each side. The skin on the wings should develop a crisp texture and a mahogany color ,make sure the wings are heated to 165 degrees.

Note........ Precooking the wings prevents flareups during the final grilling. Allspice or pimento leaves can be placed on the grill to give the wings a light smoky flavor.

Jerk Marinade..........

Slowly add 1/4 cup olive oil to 2 tablespoons dried jerk seasoning, stirring with a wire whisk.
Stir in 1/4 cup orange juice ,
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar,
1 tablespoon dark rum ,
1/2 cup chopped red onion,
1/2 teaspoon of Creole seasoning,
2 green onions (chopped) ,
Juice of 1 lime ,
2 minced garlic cloves and 1 (seeded and minced ) scotch bonnet or habanero pepper.
Refrigerate.

Enjoy....... The rest of the dark rum.... Hic , Hic , Hic.:p

Chuck.
PS. I can see it now ,using the Jerk Marinade on jerky.... Kayak Jack's , jerked , jerky. I bet it would be good but the idea or thought of how it was made would be dis-gus-ti-pating . :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Sounds good if you use a good cut of meat. Wings, necks, backs, & gizzards are what we feed to city kids who don't know any better. Breasts, thighs, & legs are for knowledgeable folk.

I use the lesser cuts for broth making.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Jeez Chuck! You scared me! Whwn you said little jerk.....I thought you was talking about Jack! :shock: