Tic Tac Containers | SouthernPaddler.com

Tic Tac Containers

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As a point of interest.

Popping the last wintergreen Tic Tac today while goofing around the house , I had a thought.... Those empty Tic Tac containers why throw them away , there has to be a good use for them.

Lo and behold ....The strike anywhere matches fit in them like it was made for them , just fill the empty container with the matches and when you need a match , pop the top and shake one out.

The perfect container for the matches and it stores away in the Zip Stove like it was made to fit there. Besides the residue (aroma)from the long gone Tic Tacks in the container might give the stove a better smelling burning area. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you don't have a Zip Stove then the container would make a nice , small , easy to pack item for emergency matches in your survival kit. I would seal the flap on it with a small chunk of duct tape to make sure it did not open accidentally.

Chuck.

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
strike anywhere matches

Hard to find in this part of the country :( . One time I thought I was buying them, they were labeled as kitchen matches. I didn't pay any attention to them until I was packing for a trip and realized they were just large wooden matches, strike on the box only. Now, any time I see the real deal, I buy a box.

the TIC TAC box idea sounds good, I'll give it a try but will probably stick it in a ziploc baggie anyway.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Once upon a time I smoked a pipe. I got a bento box (Jap lunchbox...fer sushi). It iz the small box inside the bigger box in this pichur. It haz rollers ta seal it on each end and a gasket round the inside of the lid. Kept tobacco fresh fer months. I give up the pipe. Nowadys I tote matches, campin' dope, odds 'n ends in it. It dont weigh az much az a robin. It iz tuff 'n waterproof. It goes good with my Lo Mein hat. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

17-alumi.jpg

digr57

Feb 1, 2008
Tallahassee fl
Great idea Chuck Where do you get the matches from though. I have been looking for some locally and no place seems to sell them anymore. I have found them online but the shipping is high. It seems they must be shipped as hazordous material now.

Russ

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Russ,

Campmor sells 'em. Next time ya order some power rope 'er outdoor toys, git 'em ta throw in some matches.

regards
bearridge

Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph. Unknown high school student

digr57

Feb 1, 2008
Tallahassee fl
bearridge Campmor doesn't show them in there online store anymore. They may still carry them I'll have to call. I did some lookin on the net and it seem the old blue tip really good ones have been outlawed because of the type of phosphrus they contain. The only ones available now are the diamond brand which are not very good. I am trying to make up a small emergency kit to carry when i'm paddlin. Be nice to have some strike anywheres but i have a flint and striker may just pack that.

Thanks Russ

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
digr57 said:
... Be nice to have some strike anywheres but i have a flint and striker may just pack that.
Mark twain lamented, "GOD - save us from the do-gooders!"

I have some strike-anywhere that actually do, and some that merely disintegrate when you try to scratch them. I could light the old ones off my Levi leg.

For emergency fire starting, get a magnesium bar. (Campmor item# 23131) You can shave off small savings of it onto your dry tinder. light it with the flint and steel (steel is your knife), and apply the burning bundle to your waiting kindling.

Here's an item I carry http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP225-65452-544.html

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bics are like matches , won't work when they get wet. :evil: Zippos work all the time. (Yes , :oops: I carry Bics , thats how I know they won't work when wet )
The strike anywhere matches I have located were at Publix Grocery stores in the BBQ isle net to the charcoal.

I have seen them at the camping section in Wally World and tobacco shops plus camping goods stores usually have them.

I don't know for sure but I bet some Mom an Pop hardware or country goods ( feed and grain ) stores have them.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend catfish,

Where the hell....I mean heck.......have ya been? Lookin' fer matches? :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

We can forgive you for killing our sons. But we will never forgive you for making us kill yours. Golda Meir