TIDYING UP | SouthernPaddler.com

TIDYING UP

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
For a few years now, I have used baby wipes (several brands are out there now) for washing up in camp. These are the strong, paper fiber towelettes that are often used to tidy up babies during the diaper changing chore. 'Nuff said.

To better adapt them to my purposes, I modified them. First, as purchased, the pack was way too large. So I would pull out a dozen or so, that could be folded and caried in a plastic, sandwich zip bag. Also, they were too large for me to use handily, so I ripped them in two. Also, they would often dry out after the original package was opened. So I added extra rubbing alcohol to ensure they were still wet when used. They have served well.

After a day or three with no shower facilities, tidying up by "washing" off body areas with these moist-to-wet towelettes is easy.. Washing off my face, neck - and any other area that I could reach - gave some welcome relief and reduced B. O. (body odor). A lot of us do this, or something similar.

Now, rubbing alcohol can be irritating to some tender areas. But its anti bacterial properties make it so useful, that I still used it. There are other choices out there. The only change I made on this last trip was to use white vinegar instead of rubbing alcohol. Voila! Since white vinegar is also anti bacterial, it did a very good job. As far as I could tell, just as good as had the rubbing alcohol.

Give it a try, and see what you think.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack..........

I like any of the following.
1. Cottonelle " Fresh Care " comes in a pocket pack with 10 wipes in it. ( 0.8 ounce per pack )
2. Kleenex " Fresh on the Go " wipes are 10 to a pack.( 3.1 ounces per pack )
3. Wet Ones "Fresh Scent " are 20 to an individual pack. ( 3.4 ounces per pack )
The Wet Ones has twice as many wipes and is the largest and heaviest of the three.

If a open pack dries out on me between trips I like to refresh it with Witch Hazel in place of the alcohol.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
For a quick sponge type bath, I like the large "adult wipes"" I get from Sams Club. They come in great when a regular shower / bath is not available. Jack, you might be able to tear them in quarters.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Heck .... Do it the really simple way. Wear a pair of shorts with a mesh lining in them. Sweaty , dirty , hot , need to cool off ? Just jump in the nearest body of water but 1st remove any resident Gators that might get in the way.
If that is not possible then use any of the above items mentioned in this thread.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Visit the Great Lakes - no salt, no gators, no snakes that try to kill you. And in the winter, we go fishing without boats! Walk - or DRIVE - out onto the jce.

Sounds boring , nothing to look for or to play with. How can anyone go swimming in frozen water ? We go in the winter because the water is warmer then the outside air. A 72 degree spring is cold in the summer when it's hot outside and warm in the winter when it's cold outside. It's sort of like a Thermos that knows which ( liquid ) temperature is the best for you.