tied to yer boat???? | SouthernPaddler.com

tied to yer boat????

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

This poor family drew some bad cards. Tyin' yerself ta yer boat iz downrite foolish......any time. I wonder if he didnt git tangled up in some loose rope? Makes more sense ta me. Strainers scare me worse than anythin' cept the folks who run fer high politikle office.

http://wapurl.co.uk/?VAO46EC

regards
bearridge

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. Friedrich Nietzsche

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
It's a shame to have to admit again that I talked to the sherrif dept and the fire dept. to find out that there is no one trained for river rescues. I'm still exploring classes I can take to at least be a beginner in river rescue.

BRbear thanks for the reminder
Paul

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Paul,

Not many of 'em are trained fer river rescue. Usually they are called ta throw a drag.....like we use on hoop nets. They jest caint git rollin' in time ta save a paddler in deep dookie....even if the paddlers got a safety whizbang. If ya git inta truble on the river, the life savin' will likely come frum other paddlers. In Arkansaw, the rescue folks asked the ACC members ta turn out today ta help search fer a fella who drowned a few days back. I figger a heap of 'em will.

regards
bearridge

Caterpallor (n.): The color you turn after finding half a worm in the fruit you're eating.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ozark said:
It's a shame to have to admit again that I talked to the sherrif dept and the fire dept. to find out that there is no one trained for river rescues. I'm still exploring classes I can take to at least be a beginner in river rescue.
Paul

Ya only need river rescue when paddling with Ole Bear in a river without any RAPIDS............ Or just some smarts on ya own to save ya hide which worked great fer me on one no rapids in this river trip. :p

As me if I will ever trust a Lawyer again... OK... :oops: So I still camp and paddle with him ... Never said I was smart , just like good company ... like Karen , ya can trust her ... unlike someone else. :lol:

Got Ya Bear. :D

Any river ole Bear paddles .. If he ain't bottom up a few times .. It is just ain't worth paddling. Especially if the pucker factor is 10 being the highest rating ... most of the rivers he likes the factor is a 15.
:wink:
Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
O Master of Flow Bizness,

I turnt bottom upwards on the Buffalo, the Big Piney, the Nantahala, the Ocoee 'n the Chattooga (Sections III & IV). [I wish Swampy would drop in sometimes, he really likes the Roman numbers.] :wink: The way I see it, if ya dont blow out ever now 'n then, ya aint takin' no risks. If ya aint takin' no risks, ya mite az well buy some colorful shorts 'n hustle ole prunes on the shuffleboard court....beat 'em out of their dope 'n 401 k money. :?

I figger you take a risk ever time ya head out fer the rivers 'n woods. I'm jest glad ta know that blowin' out in ice cold, fast movin' water dont mess up with yer good life. Listen ta me 'n yer likely ta live ta a ripe ole age. Yer already halfway there.....ya smell ripe already. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :lol: Lord I miss third grade! :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps I think I blowed out on the Locust Fort of the Black Warrior, at Powell House Falls.......mebbe once on the Mulberry Fork. I mite have blowed out on one 'er two more rivers, but I dont have a GPS, a MRPIBB 'er a palm pilot. 8) 8) :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Bob,

I aint sho, but Willie Jeff haz one. I reckon ya use it when ya need a whore....like when JFK got the Kennedy "headache" 'n a BC Powder didnt do no good.

regards
bearridge

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics. Alfred E. Newman

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
O Master of Flow Bizness,

I turnt bottom upwards on the Buffalo, the Big Piney, the Nantahala, the Ocoee 'n the Chattooga (Sections III & IV). [I wish Swampy would drop in sometimes, he really likes the Roman numbers.] :wink: The way I see it, if ya dont blow out ever now 'n then, ya aint takin' no risks. If ya aint takin' no risks, ya mite az well buy some colorful shorts 'n hustle ole prunes on the shuffleboard court....beat 'em out of their dope 'n 401 k money. :?

regards
bearridge

Dang .. I do like prunes and especially Mr Pibb since it tastes like prunes. You do know a few prunes a day will keep the lawyer away. :wink: They are scared of prunes , one prune and they shrink into nothing and become accountants. ( dang ...I apologize to all the accountants out there)

NO.. I will not explain it , Just think about it for a moment or is that a personal movement an deposit. :wink: Just remember .... the job is not done till the paper work is completed. :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A Palm Pilot is a small computer, carried in a shirt pr pants pocket. Also referred to as a Personal Organizer or an Electronic Personal Organizer.

I've used one for about 5-6 years now. Calendar and telephone numbers are the most useful to me. When I got my first Palm I had three calendars, and if an event wasn't scheduled on all three, I wasn't sure whether it was for sure or not. Sometimes, I'd have one time on calendar A, another time on calendar B, and nothing on C.

I entered all events into the Palm. Repeating events (birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, social events, etc.) are particularly handy, since you enter them only once, and they reappear after that. Then I tossed all three calendars.

I had several stacks of business cards of folks I didn't maybe talk to often, but didn't want to lose their address. All five stacks went into the Palm and the cards got tossed. Two address books went into the palm, and the books got tossed.

I can search on there for someone by first name, last name, town name, street name, ZIP, last four digits of phone number, ANY part of the information will retrieve all entries that contain that info (say, name of town, or a state) and I select the one I'm seeking.

Br'r Bear, while I agree with you that on a river, you should not be tied to your boat, and that strainers are an under rated killer, I find an exception to your general rule. If I'm alone, on a lake, in high wind, I clip a line from me to the boat. If I tip over, the empty kayak or canoe will blow away at nearly the speed of the wind, and I'd never catch it.

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
There are very few words that help a family when something like this happens. My sister is married to a firefighter. The man is a walking "risk-calculator". I'm sure Mr. Cox will be missed by not only his family, but by all the lives he affected by his own short stay here on earth. I doubt the man took an unnecessary risk when he went out kayaking with his son.
I'm also sure he'd want everyone who picks up a paddle to learn whatever they could from his untimely demise.

What can all of us take away from this that will make us safer, better prepared for the next trip out? That might be the best discussion we could have now?

I, for one, have no idea what a "strainer" is. Can anyone enlighten me?

Lee

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Lee, Strainer is a tree laying horizontal in a river, stream, etc. It strains you from your boat and all your stuff. Hopefully, it doesn't trap you in it.
:shock:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Truthful Jack,

I reckon I need a disclaimin' part where it sez my paddlin' advice iz only fer river paddlers. :wink:

Friend oldyaker,

A strainer kin sometimes be a uprite tree 'er three. It iz any bunch of limbs, at any angle, that lets the water thru, but not a paddler. Sometimes the trees are standin' up straight, but the boat gits stuck sideways. If ya never pinned a boat, it iz hard ta realize how hard a river pushes downstream. A person kin git stuck jest like a boat. :cry: They figger that iz what happened ta the fella in Arkansaw that the ACC went lookin' fer yesterday.

Way I heard it, he wuz stuck in a strainer fer a while....the dead body dogs kept up a ruckus round this one strainer, but they figger it jest stayed there a while before it washed on downstream. The local high sheriff had hiz boys totin' donuts, sammiches, hot coffee 'n such frum the firehouse ta the river fer all the paddlers who come out ta help. A bank bought some food too. The aluminum john boats wuz more truble than help.....cuz the water wuz too low 'n the bends 'n strainers too thick. Here iz a report.

I just wanted to let all the volunteers who came out today know that at 17:10 the subject was located by one of our teams.

The Washington County Department of Emergency Management has sent out an official press release that names the Arkansas Canoe Club as one of the groups that made the search a success.

The abilities of our paddlers made it possible to cover over 16 miles of strainer filled river before dark, and boosted the number of teams to a point where success was possible.

We had a great turnout from all over and every one of you helped make this happen.

Thanks Again!!

Tom Burroughs

Caudle Search Operations Chief WCSAR

(very proud today to be!!) ACC VP

regards
bearridge

Remember, FDA employees are serious about fear. We pay these people to panic about an iota of rodent hair in our chili, even when the recipe calls for it. FDA employees are first-class agonizers, world champions at losing sleep. When Meryl Streep got hysterical about Alar, they actually checked the apples instead of Meryl's head. P. J. O'Rourke

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A strainer is a very under rated, and non-understood danger on a river. Even a leisurely current of, say, 2-3 mph can trap a paddler or boat.

A short waterfall or dam is another under rated and non-understood danger. The rotating hydraulic where water rolls endlessly at these features will trap and roll a paddler or boat for longer than you can hold your breath.

Our sport of paddling has but a few dangers: strainers, low dams, hypothermia, lightning, snakes, bears, and other humans to name most of them. Probably, though, ignorance and stupidity leads the list.

In the end, I believe, the only person you can rely on to rescue you is yourself, and you'd better know what to do and what to not do - and how to do it and how to not do it. Actually, no different than any other part of Life, ehh?

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
When we have floods and the rivers go down....you would be surprised what gets trapped in the strainers up here. :shock:
Sorry about my weak attempt at explaining a strainer Br'r bear.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Wannabe,

I tried to qualify my exemption. In moving water, I surely agree that you should be separate from your boat. If landing, particularly in surf, (again, movign water) you definitely want to be separate.

On a lake, in high winds, I sometimes hook up. In a capsize, the empty boat will blow away rapidly. I suppose that there are some attendant risks to being slipped to a boat even then. I also carry a knife on my PFD vest.

In fact, I might be making a mistake, even though I don't think so. But, truthfully, I've never tested this.