To my cajun friends | SouthernPaddler.com

To my cajun friends

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
What does red beans, rice and sausage mean to you?

Just found about a dozen shrimp in the freezer can I add them too?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm not Cajun but I do like to cook the southern meals.

To me .. Red beans , rice and sausage is a good meal ...or it can be the base for a different meal ..if a person wanted to .... which can have a few more things added to it , something I normally do.

Why not , before you add the shrimp ....... add some onion , garlic , bell pepper and celery to the red beans and rice ( If you haven't) along with the sausage. Get them almost done and then add the shrimp , a few soft shell crabs ( crab meat chunks since you are short on the liquid ) would not hurt anything if you had them. :D

Chuck.
PS. If you are short , really short on the liquid then add some white wine to build up a liquid base , add the sea food and let it cook down for a few minutes. Or do the sea food in a pot with the wine let it reduce and then add it to the red beans and rice. Does not take a lot of liquid to do sea food a couple of tablespoons and a pat or two of butter should do it.
Might have to add more wine ...... :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
It's my understanding tht beans and rice together make a perfect protein. So, this stuff (with garlic and onions and hot peppers) not only tastes good, it's healthful to eat.

But, I prefer pinto beans to kidney beans.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I found the butt end of this weeks smoked ham should I add that too?

Cornbread I would say is a must. What do you think?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Like in most cooking .. it is imagination and taste , I would think it would be a good way to use up the left over ham.

I did a 15 bean soup and used up a good portion of the left over ham in it , might of called it ham and a 15 bean soup. It is 15 different types of beans .... Jack ... Not just 15 beans in the soup.

"O" There was Onion , garlic , celery , carrots and anything left over in the frig in there. It was some sort of good.

Chuck.

Got a beef stew going tonight , been cooking for 5 hours , should be ready , I have to check the pickled okra as a side dish. Got's to go , quality control ya know. :wink: Did I say , Fresh and hot cornbread with Orange Blossom honey. Silly me I always leave desert to the last.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Oz, no law says you can't add shrimp to red beans and rice, it's just not done around here. It's kinda like inviting some real Texans over to your house for a bowl of your authentic 3 alarm chili .....with shrimp in it. You could do it , but............ . But, on the other hand, a lot off our local dishes were designed to use what you had on hand, so , go for it.

Joey Dupre'

Resident Coona$$ :)

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
rb&r

Do not, :twisted: repeat,do not :twisted: put anything in your red beans & rice other than sausage.

To do so will bring down the wrath of the red bean god. His favroiite punishment is to make you eat okra that is not fried.

If you really anger him, he will not allow you to eat biscuts and gravey for two months.

Just a word of caution here. Transgress at your own risk.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
The Manitou has spoken.

Funny, how dishes and recipes get institutionalized. I like to add chipped onions and some minced garlic to my macaroni and cheese to give it some zip. Some get almost offended if they hear of that. A few stewed tomatoes in chicken noodle soup zips it up some too.

Ahh - but good old smashed potatoes are just good old smashed potatoes. Aren't they?

Nope - add either some buttermilk instead of plain milk, or use plain milk and add powdered ranch dressing.

JARVIS good eatin'!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Ahh - but good old smashed potatoes are just good old smashed potatoes. Aren't they?

Nope - add either some buttermilk instead of plain milk, or use plain milk and add powdered ranch dressing.

JARVIS good eatin'!

If you are doing the old fashion type of smashed spuds , you know not the instant ones.
If so then when you have them in the bowl , diced and sliced , nice and hot , break a couple of eggs in them and then smash away. The heat of the spuds will cook the eggs , they will get mixed in with the spuds and they make the spuds as light as air.

Ya have , I say .... HAVE ... to put gravy on them to hold them down and to keep them from floating away.
Naturally you can add some cream to them as a liquid if they are to dry. Plus I like the old wooden handled spud smasher , just use to using it.

Before you ask , The other item that looks like smashed spuds ... GRITZ.......The grits always have the eggs cooked and used as a blanket over them , not mixed in till they are ready to be enjoyed with some butter , salt and naturally pepper.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
There goes that darned Ozark - trying to hijack the mashed potato thread!

Chuckus Tatericus, after the eggs, do you add milk too? Some of your left overs would fry up nice with a couple eggs for tomorrow's breakfast, ehh?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
There goes that darned Ozark - trying to hijack the mashed potato thread!

Chuckus Tatericus, after the eggs, do you add milk too? Some of your left overs would fry up nice with a couple eggs for tomorrow's breakfast, ehh?

If the mashed potatoes are to dry as you mash them then add the cream or milk or buttermilk what ever you like to get them to the consistency that you enjoy.
I would not suggest adding any Dago Red Wine , that needs to be in a glass with the rest of supper.

The rule of thumb is one egg per two normal size potatoes , I like an extra egg in there , it just makes it better.

Yep , any left overs are really good in the morning , if there are left overs. :D Make sure they are refrigerated over night. Like I needed to say that.:roll:

Chuck.