Today it was the Peanut Butter section..... | SouthernPaddler.com

Today it was the Peanut Butter section.....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not sure about you but I like , No . I really enjoy spending some time in the grocery store.
There are treasures to be found and hunting for them is part of the fun , finding them is the reward. Sometimes I can even locate a great item by accident. ;)

If my wife is with me she just shakes her head and tries to make sure no one knows I'm with her. That usually happens when I find something really good and point it out to her.

Like today ....most of my serious hunting is when I go to the store for a item and have the capability of being foot loose and free to examine everything within reason and time.

Today it was the Peanut Butter section.....

For centuries , OK for a long time peanut butter came in a glass jar and later in plastic jars. The hikers old time standard snack or lunch was heavy since it was in the paste ( ground nuts ) form. It was not unusual for a person to repack the tasty treat into a tube to be squeezed out later on crackers or bread. Some folks that didn't mind the extra weight ate it straight from the jar with a spoon.

Not anymore. There is several different brands of the dehydrated ( powdered ) peanut butter on the shelves of the local grocery.
To reconstitute it you use 2 Tablespoons of the dry powder to one Tablespoon of water.
In a 6.7 ounce plastic TRU-NUT Powdered Peanut Butter Jar there are 16 servings.

Ingredients.......
Roasted Peanuts
2 grams of sugar
25mg of sodium (sea salt)

It can be used ( when mixed ) like regular peanut butter or powdered in a smoothy for extra protein. Even as a flavoring over cereals or Ice Cream. I'm thinking mixed as regular peanut butter in camp or powdered over my oatmeal.
**************************************************************************************************************************************
Taste Test........
I like the roasted , unsalted , peanuts in the shell..... This tastes like them in a smooth form on a cracker. One cracker I added some salt to it and it was more like the standard peanut butter in the jar with it's 135 mg of sodium.

The 2 to 1 mix made two large amounts of peanut butter on two crackers , would of been a normal amount on 4 individual crackers. I also added a few extra drops of the water for a moister mix.

Things I might add........
I'm thinking of Olive oil or Honey in place of the water. Items that I can find in individual packets at the fast food joints.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I've been eyeballing the piwdered peanut butter at Sam's for a year or so. But, hesitated to buy a large bottle/jar just to experiment. I'd suggest a mix of honey, cinnamon, and water as a mixer. Vodka might make an interestingly intoxicating mixer, too? A peanut butter martini? (WHERE do you put the olives)?

Thai food uses peanuts often. Fried chicken with some peanut sauce is interesting.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
My wife has been eating PB & banana sandwiches (on whole wheat bread) for most of her life, and that's a really (really) long time:eek:

YES ...........
Peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat bread , A Banana sliced on top of the peanut butter , Some Miracle Whip ( Commonly called , Southern Mayonnaise ) over the sliced Banana , topped with fresh lettuce and the 2nd piece of bread.

Definetly ignoring Kayak Jacks last post ( the one above mine ) ;)