Totch Brown's "Pit Pan" build. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Totch Brown's "Pit Pan" build.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Your hammock stands look a lot like the ones that Derek Hansen describes in his book "The Ultimate Hang " An illustrated guide to Hammock Camping. ( Pages 106 to 109 )
It's an interesting little book about hammocks and all the things you can do with them and even how to make them. He covers all of the normal things a person who camps in one would know plus some things that are not common knowledge. It's 129 pages of useful information even if he forgets to say anything about the taught line knot and prefers the Pruski knot instead. :roll:

Camping in the little Pan has an advantage if one of the Florida Thunder Storms comes along and floods the area you are camping in , just pole or paddle home. On the other hand a 12 foot Gator might think you are a take out dinner someone delivered for him in the that take out dish. :lol:

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Jack,

Probly right about using a tent on such a small boat while afloat. Little larger boat, that practice is pretty common-place. Now then, worried about waking up with a snake, that's easy! Don't go to be with one! :lol:

Seriously though, quite a few people would rather not sleep in a tent. Just as many love to camp in a hammock, but not under a rain fly unless it is actually raining. Nice to see the sky. . . A mosquito bar is all you usually need down here, and during the colder months, you don't really need that.

I prefer sleeping in a hammock, really do NOT like sleeping on the ground. I'll always put up the rain fly, but prefer to set it up with at least one side rigged high, in the "front porch mode." I like to be able to see out. Not windy? then both sides get "porch rigged."

Oh, I'll take the compliment on my balance! Thanky! And you are right, the little boat really isn't impressive. What matters is what you do with it.

Chuck,

Yep! Got that book! But the hammock stands I saw in it were not really portable. Mine is, and was used by me on my Everglades trip. Didn't really need the stand, but not knowing if there'd be a suitable set of trees on the island, I took them along. Could have set the hammock up on the ground as a tent, but I avoid sleeping on the ground whenever I can. Mine is know as a "Turtle Dog Stand." That design kind of evolved over on hammockforums.net. They original was all bamboo, and the tripods were lashed together. Then one person used 2X2's (I think) and replaced the lashing with a gate hinge. The cross bar does NOT support your weight, it simply keeps the tripods from tipping inwards. Mine is a 3 piece pole made from the top bar of a chain link fence.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

PerryM

Feb 26, 2014
Lacombe, Louisiana
Mike it really turned out nice. I'd like to build one after my skiff is finished. Looks like it would be perfect for my solo fishing trips. Great job!

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Perry,

Might be a good choice for some solo fishing trips. I know that's one of the things I'll be using it for. It is pretty much a minimum boat, however. I like how easy it is for me to load it up and take off somewhere, launch with or without a ramp, really doesn't matter. As long as you don't try to bring too much along, it should do nicely.

A seat of some sort makes paddling this boat a lot easier. I used the "Uncle John's" seat that I built a long time ago. (I've used that one as a camp chair, too.) The push pole in the design was only 8 feet long, I'd have to say I'd want one at least 10 feet, myself. If you do have a lot of overhanging tree branches, maybe the shorter one would be better.

Almost hate to say it, because it really doesn't fit the image of the boat, but a double-blade kayak paddle would probably be the best paddle, as it really doesn't track all that well. (It's a box!) :D

Get that skiff built and post some pics! :wink:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Nice build. I like simple. The design would probably make a good troll motor boat for someone who wants to put a motor on their boat. Square ends work better for that.

beekeeper