Touring Piroque TV Started | SouthernPaddler.com

Touring Piroque TV Started

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Well Hi folks.
I Have recieved and started my First Build Of a Wooden Boat. A Touring Piroque TV. I have gotten the wood and I got the beer. Here we go.
First step Find a table big enough to hold the wood.
100_1548.jpg

Next try to read and understand the directions given with the plans. This seems like the easy part. Matt has them written in plain language that even I can understand. So now the markin up of the wood.
100_1547.jpg

100_1549.jpg

100_1550.jpg

100_1545.jpg

100_1546.jpg

Markin the curves with the help of nails at each intersecting line held by a spring clamp. Then just draw the lines.
100_1551.jpg

100_1553.jpg

Well so far so good. Next step butcher the wood. This will happen as soon as I get back from the canoe run at 11:00 today. More pics to come.
Joe

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
You are going to love this boat Joe.

Capacity of a canoe, paddles like a kayak and very pretty lines.

Take your time (I know it's hard :D ) and think about each step of the process. :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I can tell Lazy is just starting first build, has the table up on blocks,so it helps the bending over. Everything is organized plans in a folder magnifiers on hand .
We will slowly watch him regress ,pretty soon a set of plans will arrive, the flood lights will go on so he can work all night long,he will be unshaven that glossy look in his eye as he heads for that new stack of ply
sniffing the air like a hound dog looking for the smell of epoxy and sawdust. Poor fella he is a goner now.
But the final blow will be when the nick name for all his boats starts with that dam boat,usually the wife nicknames them all before they get built.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously the T-V is a great paddling boat she will do it all,and am looking foreward to your build.
Ron

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Yep, What Ron said.
I must have 75 clamps and by the middle of the build cant find one, Tape measure may as well throw it away cause can't find it either, extension cords tie their selves in knots while you are'nt looking. You should just quit now. Keep the beer though lets not get crazy. Just kidding you'll have a ball and probaly become addicted like the rest of use.
Darrell

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Yep, What Ron said.
I must have 75 clamps and by the middle of the build cant find one, Tape measure may as well throw it away cause can't find it either, extension cords tie their selves in knots while you are'nt looking. You should just quit now. Keep the beer though lets not get crazy. Just kidding you'll have a ball and probaly become addicted like the rest of use.
Darrell

All that Darrell and Ron said. Welcome to our world Joe. :D

BTW, Have you started planning the next build yet? :lol:

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Hi Guys
Thanks for all of the encouragement. I will be as of today starting to glue the parts together. My epoxy arrived UPS from Raka I went with the 127 epoxy and the 350 hardener it will give me the cure times that I need to have. I guess it is what is called medium fast.
and now the fun starts. Val has informed me this better work. HA HA She is lookin forward to me spending as much time ( and as I understand) effort as needed to make this a good lookin boat.
So far I opened the top of one of the jugs of epoxy put some in a small cup and put it in my office just to get a fix of the smell. It don't have that much odor. We already had the smell and dust from wood. I have a spot under the house all set up for the long tables 18 foot so I have plenty of space and air movement. Our house is on stills so the outside is the inside if ya know what I meen.
Not much in the area of boat rentals today so I will be putting my time toward getting the hang of welding the parts together.
Thats the nice thing about the biuld being done right here at work. If we ain't got much work I got time to do this.
I will keep ya'll updated as things progress.
Joe

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Good Day folks,
Well we been busiern a cat covern sh!!!t on a tin roof around here. Just got some time to continue the build. I will be weldin peices today. I will take pics and post later or in the mornin.
Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joe...

The cooler weather and you being busy would of been a good thing , when you can't work on the boat then work at the business. The best of both worlds. :D

Epoxy does not flow real good when the temperature drops like it has in the past and it looks like another cool spell is on the way tomorrow.

Chuck.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Yep, he's doomed. But for the fact the epoxy won't set at 25 degrees F there go I.
At least he goes paddling between build sessions. That will last about another 2 or 3 days.

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Hi
Finally figured out how to post again. Can't see the post sign but in movin my curser around ot the bottom It showed signs of being there so here we are. I am still workin on this Piroque and will be taking pics as soon as I can. Been kinda busy with the good weather and folks going on the river.
More soon
Joe

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Chucky: I have been listenin to Val it is her fault the wood is lookin this way.
Matt: Val drew pictures for me off of your plans so I could follow allong. She did mention the hole thingy. I guessed it went on the up side.
But it is startin to look like some thing I can put in the water and enjoy.
Joe

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Hi Guys Heres a couple more pics it has been busy here so I ain't got to work on it much.
Here a shot of the front,
[/http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr225/lazyriverguy/Joe%20s%20Boat/100_1590.jpgimg]
[img][img][/img]http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr225/lazyriverguy/Joe%20s%20Boat/100_1589.jpg

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Here we go now I figured out what was going on I punched the wrong buttonsSo here it is with the bottom sealed.
[/img]
100_1591.jpg

the back end
[/img]
100_1592.jpg

the front end
100_1590.jpg

Still ain't figured the cameras date stamp thing so just ignore it. Heres one more of the bottom
[/img]
100_1588.jpg

more later
Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joe.........

I had a good chance to witness the TV in action and I will tell you right now it is one great boat. Ron would just take a swipe with the paddle and coast along no matter which way the wind or current was going.

brazo%20011.jpg

As you can see he had it loaded down really good , the boat was packed with everything but the kitchen sink and I'm sure he had that in there ... someplace. All I can say is it really impressed me on how well it handled and just eased along , I can understand why Ron likes it so much.

One thing you might want to do and that would be to get with Ron and find out how he made his seat/chair for the boat. In the boat it is a high back , solid seat off the floor and in camp the legs drop down and it becomes a camp chair. I used it the rainy morning for a while since my chair was somewhere on the sandbar and it is quite comfortable.

Chuck.