Transporting Canoe | SouthernPaddler.com

Transporting Canoe

ohioriver

Sep 9, 2008
Hi all
I just got my boat built and I had a thought about getting to the water. Only problem is I ain't got no car rack. Does anyone have any homemade concoction for transporting on a car?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
O River,

LL Bean and campmor.com sell foam blocks to slip onto gunnels, and then set the padded boat up onto a car top. Straps come with it. I'm not fond of these rigs as they often seem to slip around and reposition themselves where THEY want to be. And, frankly, they never want to be in a good spot.

Best home made contraptions I know of say either Thule or Yakima on them. Plan on several hundred $ to get the attaching towers (the part that clamps to the vehicle). the cross bars, and saddles of some kind to hold the boat. Oh, and straps.

Frankly, home made racks run the gamut from as good as store-bought, down to a burlap bag and clothesline. If you drive a pickup, PVC or wooden racks can be quite serviceable. Fewer options on a sedan or coupe.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
An inexpensive way of doing it is to pick up some foam blocks that fit on the sides of the canoe and then rest on the roof of your vehicle.

The blocks are slotted to slip over the gunwales with two on each side , then strap the boat down and tie off the ends of the boat to the bumper for a safety measure. The blocks are a no slip type so the boat will not move around in transit.

Just about everyone sells them , Bass Pro , Cabelas , and most outdoor shops or boat sales. I have even seen them at Wally World.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
I recall when cars 'n pickups had rain gutters. What do these strap to? I never give foam blocks a chance cuz I drive too far 'n too fast.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was thinking the same thing , still have a couple of those racks in the shop. My guess is that today anyone seeing them would not know what they are for or how to use them except for us antique folks. :roll:

One is an adjustable one that I had on a VW Beetle which was cut down and modified to run in the woods back in the dark ages .... It even had a sun roof. Then there were the oversize tires , a really good dual exhaust system (Baja) and lots of storage space , the back seat was not there. Just a big area for the camping gear. That dang thing would go anywhere. :D

Best Top maks a replacement top for the Jeep Wrangler that is like the old VW fold back Sun Roof , just flip a lever and the top folds back over the passenger area. As soon as the rag top on the Jeep gets in sad shape ... it will have one of the fold back sun roofs. Newer Vehicle , same old idea but a ton of fun.

Thinking about this ... I took the back seat out of the Jeep ( Gold Goat) a few years ago , about 2005. :lol:

Chuck.
Regressing here boss and enjoying every minute of it , the more I move forward the behind-er I get , as to the way things were.

ohioriver

Sep 9, 2008
Lucky for me I have a big brother. I know it looks heavy but I can lift it by myself. Its probably 60 lbs. I am trying it out tomorrow. I originally decided to build it to clean out my overgrown pond.It turned out so well I'll be taking it to area lakes.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
It dont look like yer gwine ta drive too far ta wet a paddle (oars?), but if ya do, front bumber ropes do the most good in a high wind. If yer pickup iz newfangledized, ya caint jest drill two holes 'n put an eyebolt in each corner of a plastic bumper. Ya gotta look up under the front end in fer a spot where ya kin put two small lockin' carabiners. [Jest leave 'em under there.] Tie two separate ropes ta the front end of the boat 'n tie each off thru the eyebolt/carabiner. Ropes slide good thru a eyebolt 'er a carabiner.

When headed out fer high speed drivin' on Ole Ike's highroads, I add two more safety ropes (besides the front bumber 'n ass end rope ta my hitch. I tie one frum the front end of the boat ta the rear of the pickup bed 'n one from the rear of the boat ta the front end of the bed. That helps keep a boat frum slidin' backwards 'er forwards in case a cell phone fool comes along 'n ya gotta drive like Kyle Petty 'er Waylon Jennings.

regards
bearridge

ps Put a trucker's hitch on all ropes.

The more you observe politics, the more you've got to admit that each party is worse than the other. Will Rogers

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear...

Nice thing about the Jeep Wranglers , they have real bumbers , you know the stick out there daring someone to pull out in front of you ....kind.
Plus they have some square holes in them which I attached eye bolts to. ( Most folks mount additional running/driving lights in them)

The ropes for the boats have the clip ends on them and it is easy to load up , throw the boat on the rack , strap it down. Take the ropes and do a loop around the handholds on the boat and clip the ropes to the eyebolts.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
yeah, but ya dont drive fast enuff ta even need bumper ropes :lol: less yer dawdlin' along in wussycane :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Joe 'n hiz niece live so close it dont make no sense ta do more'n chunk yer boat in the back of a pickup 'n tie yer read bandana ta the end. A spare tire will keep it frum blowin' out.....if ya wuz drivin' over geezer warp speed (30 mph). :roll:

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Another vote for foam blocks. I use them ON my rack. I have an Nissan Xterra factory rack. Works out pretty good. I also run a rope to the hook under my front bumper.

ohioriver

Sep 9, 2008
Unfortunately my truck is down for awhile. I went and got me them foam blocks and lots o rope and duct tape. That is a good idea bout putting seperate ropes on each side.

ohioriver

Sep 9, 2008
I just tried it out in my pond and it is amazing. It floated in 3 inch water with me in it. I can't believe how stable it is I even stood up in it.