trip out on the lake | SouthernPaddler.com

trip out on the lake

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I made a trip out to the lake today. Got out on the water well before sunrise to beat the heat. Didn't work. :roll: I did a little fishing but my heart wasn't in it. I did manage to catch this guy.

100_0644.jpg

I also caught a 2lb choupic (bowfin) on the 3wt. No pics of him. I didn't want him in the boat so I unhooked him while he was still in the water. Those fish can really cause havoc thrashing around on the floor of a boat.

After that, I mostly just cruised and made a few S.E.T.'s. Here is a typical section of the shore of Lake Verret.

100_0636.jpg

I stopped on this shell bank for a drink and to water a tree.

onshells.jpg

Pretty flowers on the bank.

flowers.jpg

I cruised down the shore and explored a couple of sloughs going back in the swamp. About a quarter mle back I came up on this grand old fellow.

forkedcyp.jpg

I'm sitting in the pirogue holding the paddle by the blade and reaching the paddle up as far as I can. Seedtick and keith take care of the " after" of the cypress wood made into lovely boats. You could say this is the "before".

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Been mowing grass , weed eating and doing all sorts of stuff around the outside in nice cool :roll: 100 degree weather. Sure is nice to come in here , cool off and take a virtual lake trip , Joey ..Thank you for a needed break on this end. :D The picture of the shore line is the type of water I love to paddle in and it is even more fun to fish it.

Chuck.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Thanks for the trip, Joey!

I love seeing the pictures and reading your narrative.

Mike

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thank you for the post and pictures. What kind of fly? We always had good luck with "bream killer", especially after it turned warm (hot). Did you get to fish when the worms were on the gum trees? Seems we miss that opportunity the past few years.
How do you manage the boat traffic? I have trouble keeping them off me and I'm in a 19' bass boat. One day I will give it a try paddling. Really love the area and the fishing.

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Glad y'all enjoyed the report. I don't know if I lost my touch, but success with the fly rod has been escaping me. I swallowed my pride and fished with worms on the fly rod. When you fish in the fishy looking water that I did and get two bites (and two fish), something is up. Back before Katrina and Gustav, you could always count on a bunch of action on worms from the small bream. You know how it is, you get a bunch of those bait-stealing runts pecking at your bait and sucking the worm off. Now - nothing.

Last year, when I got back into fly fishing, I had the same bad luck for months. Then, the water must have gotten right and I had a handfull of successful trips fishing the same exact water that netted zip months before. Oh well, that's why they call it fishing and not catching.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Just got the PM. Might just be quasi-legal. If a guy (not me of course) were to try this method, he just might catch a few catfish for a fish fry. :wink:

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Joey, it's just too dang hot to catch fish. :shock:

The fish know how hot it is and avoid being dragged out of the water. They don't want to become instant fish meal. :roll:

Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Just got the PM. Might just be quasi-legal. If a guy (not me of course) were to try this method, he just might catch a few catfish for a fish fry. :wink:

Heavens to Betsey ole Buddy .. I never would suggest something not Kosher or Illegal , If I thought you might get caught. Just some old time ways of doing it sort of balancing on the positive side of being legal today. Ya can always tell the warden it is for your snacks when paddling. :roll: Anyway it works for me since I am on Social Security and have the documentation to prove it. :lol:

Chuckles..........