Trip Suggestion | SouthernPaddler.com

Trip Suggestion

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a 4-5 day canoe/camping trip in July. I'm looking for something that would involve primative camping, some possible fishing, and the pure relaxation of floating/paddling a canoe/kayak. I will need to rent the canoe/kayak.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Paul,

July aint a good month fer canoe campin' trips. It aint eazy ta say much good bout July. It aint az bad az August. Round here it iz jest too hot fer campin'. If ya go up in the mountains, it will be cooler, but the rivers dry up in July. July 4 iz a bad time ta be on any river 'er lake anywhere....less ya like crowds of drunken, noisey folk.

The only place I mite camp 'n paddle in July would be in Western North Carolina. The Nantahala, Ocoee and Tuckaseegee are dam release rivers so they will have cool fast movin' water. It kin still be mitey hot at nite there in July. These aint canoe campin' rivers, in fact ya caint rent no canoe on any of 'em. Even if there wuz, ya caint tote campin' gear in one.

Mebbe ya kin canoe camp in July up in Pennsylvania 'n Michigan?

regards,
bearridge
paddlin' geezer canoe clud

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity. Nick Diamos

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wish I could help you but I don't know anything about camping a paddling in the LA area all I can say is here just a little east of you in Florida it is hotter then heck during that time. Except if we are lucky enough to get one of those little windy storms called a hurricane and then it cools down some.

We have some folks on here that live in Louisiana and they might be able to help you.
I was reading a trip report in a paddling book about the Big Thicket ( National Park) in east Texas ... It sure sounded like some fun and it is a wild area.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Paul,

Yer south a Shreveport, rite? If ya kin move that date up ta May 'er early June, there's decent rivers in the Ozarks. Black Creek south of Hattiesburg would be nice. I heard of folks paddlin' the Bogue Chitto, but never seen it.

I just don't know too much bout the rivers of Louisana. I figgered it wuz all swamp like when Steve McQueen broke outta Angola 'n set out ta shoot Karl Mauldin in the knee caps....cept fer the Achafalaya.

Dallas Downriver Club oughta have some good river info. http://www.down-river.com/
Also the Arkansas Canoe Club.
http://www.arkansascanoeclub.com/

I have a good store of links on the Buffalo River.

regards,
bearridge
sideways bound

Every crowd has a silver lining. Phineas Taylor Barnum

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Good summer river in PA if your look'n for ideas Paul. Good two day drive from LA. I don't much care for Wilderness tripping the South in summer.
Clarion River

Canoeing on the Clarion River

A good map (Allegheny National Forest Region Outdoor Recreation Map) of the Clarion River water accesses is available from local Tourist Promotion Agencies or any local Forest Service office.

In early spring, the Clarion River has four rapids. You'll find the first at mile 6 from Ridgway, near a railroad trestle. The second, third and fourth, at miles 15, 15-1/2 and 16, are known as rapids X, Y and Z. The "chicken route" (safest) for all except X is to the extreme right. In X rapid, head down the middle. Love's Canoe Rentals in Ridgway provides a good map brochure. Warning: An underwater pipe just below the trestle may dump unwary canoeists.

You'll find this river scenic and interesting. You can rent canoes at many local liveries. Contact the Northwest PA Great Outdoors Visitor Bureau at 814-849-5197 or 800-348-9393 for local business information.

The fast water runs between Ridgway and Hallton, a distance of about 19 miles. Below Hallton, the route flattens out and becomes less challenging. The section from Ridgway has an "intermediate" skill level rating until about mid-May. Later, it drops to "novice".

You can launch at Portland Mills (mile 9), Hallton (mile 19), Belltown (mile 27), Clear Creek State Park (mile 32), Cooks Forest State Park at route 36 bridge (mile 43), and Piney Dam at Clarion, route 322 bridge (mile 61).

Several good places to camp enroute, although unmarked and without facilities, should be obvious from the water.

Br'r Bear, Piece of history for ya. Shreveport, LA is named for Captain Henry Shreve. Fella was from down over the hill from here along the Monongahela River. He brought military supplies from here by steamboat to Andy Jackson when he was fight'n the Redcoats. First successful steamboat trip down the 'Miss' from these parts. Folks in LA was so grateful for his efforts, they named a town after him. Later in the century,
where Ol Henry sailed that steamboat from became the Snowden boat works. Many Union Ironclads were built there and sailed to the 'Miss' to fight in the South. Ain't much left to show of the boatworks today, I think there is a historical marker to show where Captain Shreve sailed from. More usless historical trivia........... :roll:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend oldyaker,

How cool does it git up there at nite in July? When wuz the last time ya pitched a tent in July?

a curious,
bearridge
sideways bound

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. Friedrich Nietzsche

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Curious Bear, Up in the central part where I like to camp in summer, the average daytime temp is 77F, the average night temp is 54F. If I get the time away, I set up a tent most July's. I wasn't so lucky this past July, I was in the South all of July and some of August.

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
Thanks guys! I can tell you that there is not much around these here parts. That's why I turned to the spicy insanity on this site.

I might should have given a bit more information. I said July, because that is my down month at work, so about the only time other than December that I can get away for a week. I am looking for something that is as far away from here and civilization as possible, so I am willing to drive for a day or two to get to a destination. While I would love to do a canoe/camp trip, I'd be game for just a good lengthy, truly primative camping trip. by primative, I mean somewhere that is off the beaten path. Preferrably somewhere in a cooler climate than what we get around here (easily 90+F during the day and 80+F during the night). If it could be near water, great, if not, then no big deal.

Thanks again guys.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Paul,

I wish your schedule allowed you time in late May, before Memorial Day. We're doing a trip like you want on the Au Sable in Michigan. This is a sand & gravel bottomed river through prime timber territory. All Class I, only one portage and it's easy. Bald eagles, mink, beaver, deer, geese, ducks.

World class fish in these waters. (Hard to catch them, that's why they're still there - how's THAT for a challenge.) We start near the original home of Fred Bear Archery.

And, in Canada on a lake the Saturday after Labor Day for a week. Flat water, granite abounds, mixed deciduous and conifer, loons galore, owls, mink, bear, coyote, caribou, otters, Canadian geese, beaver, sand hill cranes, herons. Base camp operation, move maybe once in a week; maybe not.

Bugs are dead; kids are in school. Is work schedule adjustable at all?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Paul,

Last December wuz purty warm. A bunch a wayward geezers paddled the second week down in the former sunshine state. However, civilization seems ta be creepin' round ever corner down there. At least we didnt have ta listen ta combustion engines most of the time.

December wuz possible in the Ozarks, but it wuz bone dry on most rivers. I hear bout folks campin' on the lakes round Hot Springs, but ya mite end up listenin' ta jet skis 'n bass boats.

On the Arkansaw/Missouri border iz the Spring River, which haz water near bout all year frum a big mammoth spring. [I dont think any mammoths still live there.] Word iz that it iz covered up with half naked gals. Some seemed more like three quarters. I posted the link ta the pichurs on here a few times. If ya stay away from big holidays 'n weekends, the Spring mite be good.

The Lower Buffalo River in the Ozarks usually haz water even in the summer, but July will likely be crowded. Upper Buffalo is usually dry in summer....az in folks drivin' across it.

It aint eazy ta find a paddlin' spot that iz far away frum civilization anymore. After all the dams, free flowin' rivers are mitey scarce. The local guviment iz tryin' ta dam up one of the last ones in the western Ozarks rite now....fer drinkin' water.

Drivin' on Ike's Highroads I seen some purty rivers in Alabama, South Carolina 'n Tennessee, but I caint say that they aint civilized.

regards,
bearridge
paddlin' geezer

It aint what ya dont know that hurts ya. What really puts a hurtin’ on ya iz what ya knows fer sho, that jest aint so. Uncle Remus

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
Kayak Jack -- you are absolutely right, that is exactly what I am looking for in a trip.

The only problem is, I work at the University here in Natchitoches and August-September, Early December, January-May are the peak times of my year. I get a break in July, a slight break from late October through Thanksgiving, then 2 week break from about Dec. 15 to Jan 3, and finally a couple of days around Easter.

I can take time off at other points in the year, if planned in advance, but prefer to save my leave for holiday times to spend with family, and take a week for myself in the summer. Being single, this tends to be a fairly easy task, can pretty much go and do whatever I want, as long as the pocketbook allows for it.

4sons

Apr 5, 2005
From the sound of your description, I can't think of anywhere better than the Boundary Waters\ Quetico Park. We are doin' a trip there the last week in June. Usually warm days, cool nights and the best fishing around. One of the best things is NO civilization.

Here is a link to the outfitter we use.

www.anderson-outfitters.com

I can't say enough about this trip...it is simply awesome!!

4sons

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ipm.

John Deppa is a little modest .... something new for him but to see what he is telling you take a look at this which is from page #4 of the trip reports and then for the rest they are on page #3 for a full 30 day solo paddle in that area.

John is a retired teacher and by being retired he is still teaching but in this case he is teaching all of us about his trips and he is a paddling & camping Nut........ I know this for sure since I have been with him and will be in the future. :D

http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 055fbee484

After you read what he has to say then I would suggest you contact him if you are interested. :D By the way this is not the only area he has paddled .. He takes out for 4 to 6 months a year to paddle/fish and camp all over the USA.

Chuck.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
If I had my choice and had partners that could handle it. The BWCA is truly great.. I don't know if i would venture out alone but with a partner it is good for the sole. true wilderness. go another click to the north to Quatico....SP? even more remote.

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
Once again, I want to thank ya'll for the information. The BWCA definitely looks like the destination for me. Now I just need to figure out the financing of the trip. What I had saved up is going to have to go to the Automotive Doctor and Hospital. My car of 13 years is finally going kaput and telling me it is time to move on to a new vehicle. So, I had to put in the car hospital numerous minor repairs, that my conscience tells me need to be done before I go trade it in on a new model.

The other thing is convincing my usual camping partner, or finding another outdoors soul I might know to venture out on first-time trip like this.

Thanks again, and may all your future trips be filled with sun filled days, and crisp, star lit nights.

--Paul