Trolling Motor Mount | SouthernPaddler.com

Trolling Motor Mount

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We have kicked that a round in some other posts. The general thought is to use what would be called a canoe mount. it is nothing more then a bar across the boat with one end sticking out to attach the motor to. It mainly consists of two pieces , one for the top and one below it that fits inside and under the gunnel of the boats sides. There are several ways to attach it.

One other way is pictured in Uncle Johns pictures from builders. the guy just clamps it to the side of the boat , up near the middle where he sits. If memory servers me correctly he did shorten the shaft on the motor.

Then there is the one which is permanently attached to the back of the boat but it is inside and is retractable , it can be lowered when he wants to use it and raised into a well or cavity (in the boat ) so it is out of the way and the bottom of the boat is flush without anything sticking down. I had the URL saved for that process but goood old AOL , lost it for me. :evil:

Chuck.

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
oldsparkey said:
We have kicked that a round in some other posts. The general thought is to use what would be called a canoe mount. it is nothing more then a bar across the boat with one end sticking out to attach the motor to. It mainly consists of two pieces , one for the top and one below it that fits inside and under the gunnel of the boats sides. There are several ways to attach it.

One other way is pictured in Uncle Johns pictures from builders. the guy just clamps it to the side of the boat , up near the middle where he sits. If memory servers me correctly he did shorten the shaft on the motor.

Then there is the one which is permanently attached to the back of the boat but it is inside and is retractable , it can be lowered when he wants to use it and raised into a well or cavity (in the boat ) so it is out of the way and the bottom of the boat is flush without anything sticking down. I had the URL saved for that process but goood old AOL , lost it for me. :evil:

Chuck.

I think you might be referring to this link:

http://www.mosportsmen.com/hunting/wate ... rogue2.htm

spudfrntseat.JPG

dawallace45

Chuck

When I first looked at trolling motors some time ago the guy in the shop cut off a piece of string and showed me the difference between a bow mounted and transom mounted , unfortunately I could only afford the transom mounted motor and when I put it on my Mill Creek I soon found out the difference [ he was very right ] , I now have the head of the motor turned around and have mounted it on the bow of my johnboat and use a universal tiller extension from a seat on the casting platform , wish I had a foot control but just don't have the money

David

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
dawallace45 said:
I now have the head of the motor turned around and have mounted it on the bow of my johnboat ...

That's exactly what I do in my johnboat. All the bow mount motors, even if they are hand control, are too expensive. You can get a small transom mount hand control for $100 or less, at least the last time I checked. Unscrew the head from the shaft, spin it around in the right direction, and mount it up front. I actually LIKE hand control, so I have it made.

The only problem is that a proper bow mount usually has some sort of breakaway device so that the weight of the boat doesn't wreck the motor when you run the motor into something. Using a transom mount, you don't have that feature. Get the boat moving along good, run the lower unit of the motor into a solid object, and something will have to break.

Considering how cheap the motor is, and how light my johnboat is, I'll take the gamble.

George