Trout Opener.. | SouthernPaddler.com

Trout Opener..

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Yesterday was the trout opener in our part of PA. An old friend of 30 plus years and I went the day in the mountains an hour East of my home. Laurel Creek near Ligonier, PA. Old Fort Ligonier of Geo Washington and French and Indian War Fame.
The trout opener is like a major Holiday here, not so much about the fish as it is about getting out of doors in Spring like weather and socializing with others who love being outdoors and the good earth.
We caught a few early trout but it was more about enjoying the day and we meet some outstanding outdoor people.
It's amazing how it brings people from all walks of life together and form a single bond. A Doctor to my left and a plumber to my right talking about a beautiful day, a fine stream, and even finer people on the water this day.

Here is a shot of Laurel Creek....

Every year, These wonderful members of Latrobe United Methodist Church set up along the stream for some fellowship, fishing, and cooking. They invite all us lying fisherman to eat pretty much all day. Pancakes, bacon and eggs for breakfast. Keilbasa sandwiches all morning. At noon some fine BBQ'd chicken. They don't take any donations or want any and they don't preach. They say "it's the Christian thing to do." They said it's alot of fun. They sure were a lot of fun to socialize with as well. Good people. They kept all the fisherman well fed for free. I did see a few cans of libation being handled in the group...they must be good people. Grandad said never trust a man who doesn't drink.

Another stream view

As you can see from the other stream photos, it doesn't get crowded up in the mountains. The most people you see are on the small bridges that cross the stream. And these people are the Geezers who can't wade or walk too far any more...besides, they want to be close to the FOOD!! It sure was fun. My 70 year old buddy is in the foreground in this pix.

The picture I really wanted to show you is this prize fish of the day one fine Gentleman landed...a 24" Palamino trout! A beautiful fish!

Yes, he was a true sportsman and released this beautiful fish after a few pix. It was amazing. Everyone cheered when he caught it, and cheered again when he released it.

It was such a fine day with sun and the temp around 55 degrees. It was
a party and reunion and celebration of Spring. After a few glasses of Dago Red last night and a baked fish dinner, all was right with the world and I slept like a baby. There should be many more days like this one.....I don't know if a day in heaven could be any finer than this day was....

Was it Tennyson who said "Some men fish a lifetime and don't realize it's not the fish they are after..."???

PS: As a subnote....this is the area where Rolling Rock beer was brewed for years. "Mountain Spring Water" written on the bottles.....a couple of years ago ago, RR was bought out by Busch and is now made from NJ sewer water. Since than, Sam Adams has opened operations in the old RR brewery.

http://www.ligonier.com/

http://www.fortligonier.org/

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
Rites of Spring

Jimmy,
I am SO glad that you took part in the Rites of Spring on the Holy waters of Laurel Creek! Not to even mention that you did so with a Geezer! :wink:
Thanks too for the great pics.
It is right and just that such a religious experience should be supported by a church as well. Kudus where deserved!
And my congratultions to the angler who caught, and RELEASED!, the 'Palomino Trout', incorrectly known in these environs as 'Golden Trout'. They are a result of many generations of hatchery propogated Rainbows that has their genes so fouled up at this point that they have largely lost the ability to spawn in a natural environment when released to the wild.
On a sad local note I heard a rumor only yesterday that the Ark. state trout hatchery located about 10 miles North of where I live lost the remaining fish to the latest flood. They lost @ 40% in the earlier flood event @ 3 weeks ago according to my friend who manages the facility when she dropped in a couple of Sundays ago. There was some escapement so MY river chould be OK for the year, but the majority simply suffocated from lack of oxygen when the intakes for the pens stopped up after midnite when the personnel trying to keep them open had to flee the hatchery for self preservation. If they lost the remainder this time trout fishing in the state has taken a bad hit for the year. I hope when I do get to talk to Melissa (state trout biologist, hatchery manager and my future neighbor) that she will be able to tell me that the rumor was false! Tom

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Well, Yakus Lineicus, I'm glad you had a good day for yourself there. You deserve some real relaxation with friends (where DID you ever find one?) and fellow outdoorsmen. I'm betting that you ate kielbasa until it came out your ears!

A tip of my hat to you, and your geezer friend too.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend oldyaker,

I never cared that much fer fishin', but that looks like a kind I mite enjoy. I reckon that aint no surprize. I like water, barbecue, Dago Red 'n nurse gymnasts. Three outta four aint bad. 8)

regards
bearridge

ps Thanks fer the pichurs.

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. Abraham Lincoln

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
And Brother Bear!!! It waz free BBQ Laddie! :shock: Ya heard me right the first time Laddie!!! FREE!!!! :shock: Aye Laddie! :wink:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldyaker said:
And Brother Bear!!! It waz free BBQ Laddie! :shock: Ya heard me right the first time Laddie!!! FREE!!!! :shock: Aye Laddie! :wink:
I reckon sorry friends iz better'n no friends at all. :cry: So, next April how bout tellin' me BEFORE, not AFTER? :? Caint ya'll git some nurse gymnasts ta come serve the vittles?

yer hongry pal
bearridge

Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
as i become a geezer more & more every day my i sight isn,t as good as it used to be but yak i don,t see you in the pics fishing . oh i know you were helping with the cooking or should i say guarding the cooking.

nice pics yak thanks for sharing i believe i could enjoy that fishing too. looks like a nice place to unwind for the day.