Truck Boat | SouthernPaddler.com

Truck Boat

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
This one fits into the truck without the bed extender. It is handy to load and go. I still have to finish it, but it works like it is.

TruckBoat017.jpg

TruckBoat024.jpg

TruckBoat003.jpg

beekeeper

Last edited:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Looks good, BK. Lots of room for beer & fish. As you deplete one, you add the other. (Is this one a gift for anyone? Cause, I'm waitin' here in line, ya know. Bear's Buddy tried to elbow in, but I tripped him.)

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Jack, for now this one is for me. Hope to do a lot of fishing before it gets any hotter.
"Getting it right" is what builds the other boats after the first one. Just correcting my mistakes alone will keep me busy for a long time.
Chuck I think the sides might help with the drips. It would probably work better if the cockpit was not so wide. I made it 24" wide just in case some big guy wanted to use the boat :roll: . Longer decks would have given it a more "normal" look, but I made them short so one could enter or exit the boat over the bow or stern.

beekeeper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
BK
Man I like what you did with that boat ,your craftsmanship just keeps getting better and better.
Watching folks on here build seems to follow a pattern, we build a boat then start down the trail of trying to build the perfect boat for ourselves.every boat get better and better.
I think you will be surpeised how much diference the tumble holms make in paddle drip. You can use a much lower stroke and it sure cuts down on wind resistance and the drip.
Again great job
Ron
oh how long was this beauty?

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Dang, Beekeeper, you competing with Ron to see who can build the most top quality boats? Its down right beautiful. Have you signed those adoption papers I had Jack deliver to you?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks Ron. The boat is 13' in the floor, 14'-4" OL. Designing and building the next one better is the fun part. Testing them (fishing) is not bad.

beekeeper

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Yea those side tumble homes look really good....probably helps with the wind also.....I think you have you're signature style their beekeeper....

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks woodman. I like them. The tumblehome sides do seem to help with the wind, and paddle drips. I know they help stiffen the sides, and reduce the overall beam.
Not sure my boats have much "style" (flowing lines, symietry,etc). More signature than style, I would say. :lol:

beekeeper

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Nice, but while you are at it, add small livewell type plugs along the covering boards as it looks like the coaming drops down below the decking, so that the boat will self drain instead of moping or bailing the boat out when you flip it when carrying it or storing it on its side .

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Oyster said:
Nice, but while you are at it, add small livewell type plugs along the covering boards as it looks like the coaming drops down below the decking, so that the boat will self drain instead of moping or bailing the boat out when you flip it when carrying it or storing it on its side .

Thanks for the heads up about the water not draining. I did not think about that issue as I was building. I didn't want the combing to extend down, but could not see how to do it different at the time. After I'm finished, I see how I could have done it. Not sure I will add the drains at this time ( I'm ready to be finished), but I will not let the water set.

Thanks
beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Got the paint and varnish on it. It is a good time when a boat is finished, so we celebrated with ice cream. :D

TruckBoatFishingIcecream015.jpg

TruckBoatFishingIcecream019.jpg

TruckBoatFishingIcecream021.jpg

TruckBoatFishingIcecream007.jpg

I spent a long time working on the bottom, trying to get it right. Lots and lots of sanding on the wood, and Swampwood's fiberglassing lessons (thank's) helped me do a better job on the glass. The 2-part epoxy paint finished out very smooth and hard.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
Nice looking boat, J.D. Isn't that the Grandson you brought to the Rendezvous?

Same one. Only have two grandchildren, him and his sister.
:wink: I don't know why you asked, but no. I'm not adopting you or Bear's Buddy. :lol:

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I like this boat! :D My "things to change" list is pretty short, mostly cosmetic, not design. I have only made about 8 trips in it but, it is checking out to be very suitable. Seems the more I use it the less I would change. It paddles as good as any of my other boats, better than most. Very stable, and my seat height is comfortable. I put a non-slip additive in the floor paint that seems to work realy well and is very durable.
The garage floor paint is very tough but smooth. An incident with some concrete and asphalt made a beliver out of me. I should have exited the boat and floated or pulled it. The paint was scuffed and scratched , but not into the glass. It slides through the weeds and salvaina better than my other boats. A good attribute to have when it looks like this:
100_0074.jpg

The only thing it needs is more fish slime. :roll: I guess I'll just have to go again. :)

beekeeper

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
beekeeper said:
Kayak Jack said:
Nice looking boat, J.D. Isn't that the Grandson you brought to the Rendezvous?

Same one. Only have two grandchildren, him and his sister.
:wink: I don't know why you asked, but no. I'm not adopting you or Bear's Buddy. :lol:

beekeeper

:cry: :cry: But Grampa, you promised!!