Tuna Steaks in Red wine sauce... | SouthernPaddler.com

Tuna Steaks in Red wine sauce...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I'm com'n clean here and giv'n my secret recipe away for tuna steaks in a red wine sauce. This is so good, everyone I have made it for always wants the recipe. This recipe is so easy and so good I have converted fish haters into fish lovers. They say they don't like the fishy taste of fish, I tell them I don't either and if it's fresh and prepared properly, fish is not fishy tasting. This is not your tuna out of a can. I always look for tuna steaks on sale and freeze them for later.

No breading in this fish recipe or frying in grease!

Yak's Tuna Steak in Red Wine Sauce...

4 Tuna steaks, around a pound to pound and a half.
Salt and pepper.
3 shallots.
Small bunch of tarragon if you have it.
Few sprigs of fresh parsely if you have it.
1/3 cup or so of cold unsalted butter. REAL BUTTER!
1 cup of red wine.

Put about a tablespoon of butter into a heavy skillet and heat to foaming.
Sprinkle each side of tuna with salt and pepper. put the tuna steaks into the pan and saute' over high heat about a minute and a half on each side.
Peel and slice the shallots thin, strip the tarragon leaves from the stem.
Do not over cook the tuna, put them on a plate and keep them warm.
Chop the herbs, Tarragon and parsely.
Put the shallots in the pan and stir while cooking for a minute or so.
Add the red wind and boil fast until reduced by about 1/2.
Turn off the heat and whisk in the remaining butter until it melts and thickens a little. Stir in the chopped herbs.
Place the tuna steaks onto plates and spoon over the red wine sauce.

Goes great with rice and a fresh steamed vegetable.

Oh, the bigger the bottle of wine you purchase, the more you have to drink with dinner after you remove your cup or so for cooking!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yak...

Will have to try it but with some fresh Tuna, right out of the water, off the hook and into the pan, just one of the troubles of living in the Hurricane State, lots of fresh sea food. All of the food I see I like. :D

Now why would it not work just as good with some Grouper, Large Reds, Snook or anything else even the little sugar trout, they are just like candy even when only broiled.

Then there are the fish from the fresh water, Bass, Bream and my favorite Catfish.

Have you tried some of the high power wine ........ Kahunas Moonshine wine for this ... it is a red wine, just has more kick which would burn off but have a stronger grape flavor.

Chuck......

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yakus Finicus,

OK, I'll visit the store tomorrow. Thanks for the insight. Is that a pound to a pound and a half apiece? Or total? I'm guessing apiece. I appreciate the comment of no fat - no breading.

Now, if you eat sushi, the tuna is raw. JARVIS good eatin!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Chuck, Havn't tried it with any other fish. I would have to say a dry red wine would work better with fresh tuna. Being tuna is a hearty type flesh.
Yes Chuck, Have a jug of Kahunas brew bubbling, hope it's ready for New Years Eve, I'll have a glass, watch Guy Lombardo and his band, than off to sack. Exciting New Years eve, isn't it! :lol:

Jack, Thats the combined weight of the four steaks. Believe me, it's like eating the finest steak you have ever dined on, just don't over cook it.
With you, I don't think that will be a problem since you enjoy sushi. Also, I tend to use a little more butter and a little more wine so I have more sauce.

I see that danged 'ol Jarvis is around look'n for a free lunch again!

Just got back from your neck of the woods, Pontiac, MI. When I got there Monday, the marsh and lake behind the Holiday Inn Express was liquid. By Tuesday evening, it was in solid form. Ain't enough OOOOOOOOO's in cold for that place!!! Wind chill was 5 one morning. Heard it's going to be 6 early Monday morning without the wind chill factor. Jack,I'm sure you remember the Convair 580's, they still have them up there and are still flying them! Their like us, old, noisy, blow alot of hot wind and smoke, but still functioning and turning out a buck!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guy's .... Do it the easy way just go to McDonalds for there filet-O-Fish sandwich.
This was in the Ask Yahoo section today and I was thinking you might enjoy it.

Dear Yahoo!:
Is the fish sandwich at McDonald's made of real fish?
Fishing for Answers

Dear Fishing:

McDonald's appears to be the subject of more mythology than the Greek god Apollo. Remember the rumor about the complete lack of milk in the shakes? Not true. Yet your question remains: is there something fishy about the fish?

An ingredient list at McDonald's specifies the following for their "Filet-O-Fish": fish filet patty, bun, tartar sauce, pasteurized processed American cheese, and seasoning. Still, any product with such a poor spelling of "fillet of fish" bears further scrutiny.

So we waddled over to DietRiot.com, where we found the F-O-F contains pollock or hoki, both of which, though not exactly seafood superstars, do qualify as actual fish.

Maybe the real question ought to be: what else does the Filet-O-Fish contain besides the fish? The caloric ratio of the sandwich is 46% fat, 39% carbs, and just 15% protein. Take another look at DietRiot, and you'll notice, in addition to the "foaming agent" dimethylpolysiloxane, several partially hydrogenated oils, which produce trans fat.

The Filet-O-Fish is also cited in an obesity lawsuit against the company. Of course, the world's largest fast food chain does have its fans. So if you want to make the Filet-O-Fish at home, go right ahead. Just remember, when adding dimethylpolysiloxane, season to taste.

Better stick with the Tuna steaks. :D
Chuck.