Two new ones finished | SouthernPaddler.com

Two new ones finished

dawallace45

Well I usually forget to post pictures of the bows I make or even remember to take pictures of them but Chuck always reckons that more stories with pictures makes the site interesting and one of the bows is for Hairy Mick

So here goes , Micks Bow is 43# @28" and 68" nock to nock , 18" riser is Kwila with some sort of timber from around the Daintree rainforests in North Qld , never did know the name of it and Sallie Wattle , laminations are Coffee Bamboo flooring

P1000715.jpg

P1000716.jpg

P1000718.jpg

P1000719.jpg

P1000722.jpg

Next bow is for my wife and is 64" Nock to Nock and 32# at 28" , 16" riser is Zebrano Bamboo flooring and the laminations are Coffee Bamboo , I used my Binghams style Reflex / Deflex form

P1000729.jpg

P1000728.jpg

P1000727.jpg

P1000726.jpg

P1000725.jpg

P1000724.jpg

P1000723.jpg

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Geez Dave,

I love that bow mate. Thank you. :D

BTW I have recieved your emails and just haven't had the time to reply to them yet. sorry mate.

Been a little busy here meownself.

Me and miss Evie

Maddie005-1.jpg

been building a beach house. 8)

008.jpg

015.jpg

Will be up shortly to pick it up. Soon as we get our camper trailer :D squared away. 8) 8)

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Very nice work. How do you build to a specific or target draw weight?

beekeeper

dawallace45

Mick

No problem , now you got to tell us the story of the house , looks great , where is it ?

Gentlemen , thank you for the kind words

Beekeeper
I've made about 20 laminated longbows so far and can generally hit my target weight or close to it when using the bamboo , when I throw in a lamination or two of Sallie Wattle or Tulip wood they generally come out a little heavier , I was actually aiming for 45# with this bow and come in about 2# light . With the first Bow I made from my own ground laminations I used the Binghams Lamination guide as a starter and because I was using Coffee Bamboo I went a little heavier , it come out a little lighter so I made the next one significantly heavier , I then worked out a table using the two bows and their lamination thicknesses and so far they are pretty much on

I have been changing the riser styles some what all through but have found I much prefer the basic style Howard Hill , of course this may just be because I shot a Howard Hill bow for many years , I figure this will be the last one I do with a 18" riser for a while and will be making them with a 16" riser , my old Howard hill had a 13" or 14" riser but had some significant hand shock at 70# , figure 16" may give me a little extra working limb but with out the hand shock [ compromise ] , I want to try making some heavier bows for a longer draw length and feel the longer working limb may be advantageous , have only made a couple of 55# bows with a 16" riser before and they were fine , smooth and no hand shock

The Tips always cause me problems getting them just right and even with spending 4 hours on each of the tips on Mick's bow I still don't think them completely right but they are as good as can be and if I go any further I'll only go the other way , they seem to be a thing that actually gets harder with each bow as you want to make the next one better than the last , also my eye sight isn't as good as it once was and now I've taken to wearing the cheap magnification glasses to try and see better up close , even so I've found that the best way for me to see imperfections in the bow like sanding marks and such is to give a light coat of finish , let it dry and then look at it in the sun

Still on the tips , I much prefer the pointy style tips I do to the blunt styles , it's just personal preference but I think they do look better on a longbow

As you can see once I get started talking on bows I can't stop

David